Working Moms
Options

teachers - do you get to pick the school?

When you got hired as a teacher, if there are multiple openings do you get to pick the school you want to work for?

Re: teachers - do you get to pick the school?

• Options

I work for a very, very large district (I think we had 65 elementary schools last I checked.)  The process for us is that you interview with the superintendent, then principals can pick from the pool of applicants that passed that interview to interview at their schools.  The principal actually offers you a job.  So, you can choose to accept it or not.  Because teaching jobs are limited in our area, it's best to take one if it's offered to you. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

I work for a very, very large district (I think we had 65 elementary schools last I checked.)  The process for us is that you interview with the superintendent, then principals can pick from the pool of applicants that passed that interview to interview at their schools.  The principal actually offers you a job.  So, you can choose to accept it or not.  Because teaching jobs are limited in our area, it's best to take one if it's offered to you. :)

This is the same at my district too, except our initial interview is with HR, not the superintendent.  After that, the principals choose applicants to interview who have passed the HR interview. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Simply put - NO.

Are you looking to get into a district?  You apply for a specific job in my district that way.  If you are already in-district then you can apply for a transfer.

I have heard of cattle-call-like interviews in large districts, though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In my district, yes (kind of).  You interview for a specific position, but if CO feels you're better for another open position (at same school or the other one) they can send you to that principal for an interview instead.  My district is really small, though.  Where are you in Va?  I'm in Va, too :)
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecwm11985:
    In my district, yes (kind of).  You interview for a specific position, but if CO feels you're better for another open position (at same school or the other one) they can send you to that principal for an interview instead.  My district is really small, though.  Where are you in Va?  I'm in Va, too :)

Hampton Roads area, where are you. We do not have a large district. We have about 6 middle schools, 20 elementary schools and 4 high schools. I am considering becoming a middle school math teacher but two of the schools are actually K-8. My first DD will be starting school next year so I thought it would be great if I could actually teach at the school she went to.

I am also having a hard time because if I do become a teacher next year and my DD starts kindergarten it's going to be quite an emotional day! lol. I am emotional to begin with so I can't imagine having to wipe my eyes and then teach for the first time ever!! 

• Options

Sorry if this shows up twice - I accidentally replied earlier logged in on my old account that had my full name as username.  :)

I work for Norfolk Public Schools!  What district are you interested in?  In Norfolk, you will have an interview with someone in HR first.  Then, a few candidates will be sent to the school where there is an opening.  The principal picks the candidate she likes best. At the end of each school year, teachers can put in for transfer to another school within the district, but of course that depends on there being an opening at that school.

I have worked for Chesapeake schools in the past, and the process is the same there.

In both Chesapeake and Norfolk, a teacher can have their child attend school in the district where she teaches, even if you live out of district. This is a good option if you work in a school you would like your child to attend.  However, the elementary school where I live is much better (in terms of test scores and parent involvement) so my son will go to school in Chesapeake, even though I work in Norfolk.

Hope this helps!  I feel really good about teaching and being a mom - I like that my schedule will match my son's, and I'll still get a 'taste' of the SAHM life over breaks and summer vacation. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMamiMaestra:

Sorry if this shows up twice - I accidentally replied earlier logged in on my old account that had my full name as username.  :)

I work for Norfolk Public Schools!  What district are you interested in?  In Norfolk, you will have an interview with someone in HR first.  Then, a few candidates will be sent to the school where there is an opening.  The principal picks the candidate she likes best. At the end of each school year, teachers can put in for transfer to another school within the district, but of course that depends on there being an opening at that school.

I have worked for Chesapeake schools in the past, and the process is the same there.

In both Chesapeake and Norfolk, a teacher can have their child attend school in the district where she teaches, even if you live out of district. This is a good option if you work in a school you would like your child to attend.  However, the elementary school where I live is much better (in terms of test scores and parent involvement) so my son will go to school in Chesapeake, even though I work in Norfolk.

Hope this helps!  I feel really good about teaching and being a mom - I like that my schedule will match my son's, and I'll still get a 'taste' of the SAHM life over breaks and summer vacation. 

We are on the other side of the water so will probably look in the Hampton/Newport News districts.  I am pretty sure they do the same where you can take your kid to school with you but I don't want to do that. I want my kid to be in school with kids that live around her, and unless I get one of the two middle schools that are k-8 (they are the new schools over here) it wouldn't even matter because I want to teach middle school and it's awhile before she is there. 

How long have you been a teacher and what grade?

• Options
    imageKim&Ben:
    imageMamiMaestra:

We are on the other side of the water so will probably look in the Hampton/Newport News districts.  I am pretty sure they do the same where you can take your kid to school with you but I don't want to do that. I want my kid to be in school with kids that live around her, and unless I get one of the two middle schools that are k-8 (they are the new schools over here) it wouldn't even matter because I want to teach middle school and it's awhile before she is there. 

I teach 7th and 8th grade Spanish. Last year was my first year full-time. Before that, I did long-term sub positions in Chesapeake while I was getting my masters. Middle school is awesome - I really love my students. It's such an important age developmentally and it means a lot to be part of their lives at this stage!

• Options
    imageKim&Ben:

imagecwm11985:

Hampton Roads area, where are you. We do not have a large district. We have about 6 middle schools, 20 elementary schools and 4 high schools. I am considering becoming a middle school math teacher but two of the schools are actually K-8. My first DD will be starting school next year so I thought it would be great if I could actually teach at the school she went to.

I am also having a hard time because if I do become a teacher next year and my DD starts kindergarten it's going to be quite an emotional day! lol. I am emotional to begin with so I can't imagine having to wipe my eyes and then teach for the first time ever!! 

We're outside of Charlottesville.  Good luck with your interviews and what not! :) 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMamiMaestra:
    imageKim&Ben:
    imageMamiMaestra:

I teach 7th and 8th grade Spanish. Last year was my first year full-time. Before that, I did long-term sub positions in Chesapeake while I was getting my masters. Middle school is awesome - I really love my students. It's such an important age developmentally and it means a lot to be part of their lives at this stage!

This is good to hear. I have heard a lot of people just stay middle school is not a good area to teach, the kids are going through puberty and are jerks, etc.  I figure no matter which grade, there are going to be bad kids. 

• Options
    imageKim&Ben:
    imageMamiMaestra:
    imageKim&Ben:
    imageMamiMaestra:

This is good to hear. I have heard a lot of people just stay middle school is not a good area to teach, the kids are going through puberty and are jerks, etc.  I figure no matter which grade, there are going to be bad kids. 

It's certainly challenging - but like you said, any level has its challenges. As far as the 'jerks' - in any career, there will be difficult people we have to deal with on a daily basis. The good thing about teaching, in particular middle schoolers, is that they are really still kids, and their minds and personalities are not fully developed yet. And with our guidance, they may not have to stay jerks. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"