Working Moms
Options

NBR: Do you think this counts as timed worked?

I work at a university and I got a department email today that reminded us that football season is upon us. Our department tailgates at all the games, and the email said that we should attend a minimum of three games, including helping set up and take down the tailgate party to help show our support for the school and our department. It also said we should let the contact person know of any date conflicts. Family is welcome.

So, do you think this counts as time worked? I haven't asked, because I don't want to come across greedy, but I could sure use the comp time and this isn't something I want to attend.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Do you think this counts as timed worked?

• Options
    I don't think it counts as timed work but I also can't see how they can make you go to three events that are hours long on your personal time.  Is this your first year working there during football season?
  • Options
    I manage volunteer events for my company and this is how it works.  For events that employees volunteer to participate in the employee is not paid even if it is during work hours (examples include science fairs, mentoring, big brother big sister etc...) If an employee is required to attend they charge it as time work because they do not have a choice it is part of their job.  So anyone that works in my department and is told they have to attend/work an event it is considered work. It sounds like they may do more than tailgate maybe they have games etc.. for the students I would talk to your manager about it my guess is it is time worked if you are required to go.  Whenever my employees have to work an event for me if it is family friendly I tell them to bring their families my only rule is no kids unless another caregiver is coming since the employee is there to work. I let me employees comp during the pay period if their schedule permits because my company does not have formal comp time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I doubt they will pay you for this.  As an elementary school teacher, I can assure you I go to my fair share of these types of "after hours/after school" activities and am NOT paid.  They expect you to show up and be supportive because your job is to inspire young people.  If I was paid for all the work I actually do as an educator, I can assure you I would not be in the lower to lower-middle class tax bracket that I currently live within.  :)  That said, if they aren't paying you and it's not in a contract, I'm pretty sure no one can force you to attend.  They can just give you grief for not being a "team player".

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

I doubt they will pay you for this.  As an elementary school teacher, I can assure you I go to my fair share of these types of "after hours/after school" activities and am NOT paid.  They expect you to show up and be supportive because your job is to inspire young people.  If I was paid for all the work I actually do as an educator, I can assure you I would not be in the lower to lower-middle class tax bracket that I currently live within.  :)  That said, if they aren't paying you and it's not in a contract, I'm pretty sure no one can force you to attend.  They can just give you grief for not being a "team player".

I totally agree with this (as a fellow elementary teacher). If it's not in your contract, it shouldn't be required.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Unless you are required to go I wouldn't think you could charge time for it. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    imageKimBen:
    I don't think it counts as timed work but I also can't see how they can make you go to three events that are hours long on your personal time.nbsp; Is this your first year working there during football season?

Yes, this is my first football season at the school. The email came as a big surprise. DS and I go to a music class every Saturday morning, and adding a college football game to the mix sounds excruciating. I just want to stay home and have family time in the a/c. Take care of errands, do some laundry... My weekends already feel too short.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I also work for a university and in this situation I would be paid. In my old department, we had a picnic that was mandatory for staff (but we could bring our family) and we could choose if we wanted paid or comp time. Most of our time was spent setting up/cleaning/entertaining so it wasn't like we were just guests.

I'd just ask your manager. If he/she says it's not paid, I would just tell him/her that weekends are really tough for you and ask if there is another way you can show support for the department without attending these specific events. 

• Options

I just wanted to "ugh" to this whole post. 

I'm annoyed that you are being guilted into to going to a tailgate and they are trying to sneak it in.  Either discuss it upfront or put it in the contract or make it clear that this a voluntary activity.  I wouldn't have time to run around at college footballl games on teh weekend and I especially wouldn't have time if I was being I had to attend a minimum number of games. 

Also - ugh to all the teachers that have to attend community and school spirit activities unpaid. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"