June 2011 Moms

Question if you have a sitter/daycare

I'm new at this. In the past week I've went from a full time SAH mommy to full time student and its been a HUGE adjustment. Okay, to the point. The sitter that I found comes HIGHLY recommended. I live in a small town and everyone that I've mentioned this lady to has nothing but awesome things to say. I've spoken with the mom of another child she has kept since birth and the child and mom both love her.

Okay,so first day she kept him he comes home with a red place above his eye. No big deal I know babies hit their heads alot but she didn't mention it to me. It hadn't gone away by that evening and was bugging me so I called and ask her and she said he had probably fallen and hit his head on a block but didn't cry. Day 2 he comes home with a place below his eye. My mom had picked him up that day but she also didn't say anything so again I just figured he bumped into something or whatever. Day 3 (today) we get him home and DH was changing him and we notice what looks like a bee sting on his belly. Its very red and has an opening like a sting would. She didn't mention anything and surely he would have cried. I'm going to ask her about it tomorrow.

So, my question. Does your sitter tell you what happened with every little bump and scrape? Is this expected of your sitter? I dont know if i'm just being anal by wanting to know b/c I've been home with him his whole life and I've known every single little bump and scrape.

Last question she keeps another little boy thats around 21 months. What age groups are your babies with? He's still "warming up" to DS and of course my DS is always wanting to play with him. I'm hoping they will play good together soon.

Re: Question if you have a sitter/daycare

• Three times in three days with no report from the provider would be a problem for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well the three times haven't been three days in a row and I realized after that it probably sounded that way. He really seems to love her. Even the first day he stayed he didn't want to leave when we picked him up. She takes them for walks, has them birthday parties and things. She seems awesome. It just worries me a little that maybe she hasn't babyproofed her house as well as I have mine. She has been baby sitting for years so I feel like it should be pretty well babyproofed by now. I mean if it's a noticable place I'd like to know how it got there (did he pull something off on him or whatever)!
  • Loading the player...
  • If it requires medical attention (even little stuff like ice), or leaves a mark, they give me an incident report with what happened and I have to sign it. I usually tend to side with daycares and think parents are being overprotective, but I'll admit I'd be bothered by 3x in a row without her knowing what happened, especially if she's really as nonchalant as it sounds.
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It would make me uncomfortable if you asked her about these incidents and she had no clue. It would make me think okay, are you even paying attention to him? And if he seriously has a bee sting, I'd be pissed she didn't tell me.
  • The bumps wouldn't bother me.   Like the first one she said he must have tripped on a block.    I know A has fallen on a block and a mark doesn't show up until a couple hours later.  It happens.    I watch A like a hawk and he still gets marks that I can't figure out how he got them.

However, the bee sting like mark would bother me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you need to communicate your concerns. Just tell her that you've noticed these things and you'd appreciate it if she made a point to share these types of things with you. You have to realize though that she may not catch everything.  Now a bee sting--Idk how she'd miss that.  But...it is so easy to forget.  I mean heck, A had aqua blue poop yesterday and I still forgot to ask DC what she could have ingested. 

As for age group.  Well, that depends.  Is this an in-home daycare I assume?  There aren't really separate age groups in most in-homes.  So if your son being with a 21 month old bothers you, then you may want to look into a center.  Audrey was a friend's two days a week this summer.  Her son was only 2 weeks older than Audrey but he's a boy.  He's rougher.  Personally, I think the roughness was good for her.  It toughened her up a bit!  So I probably wouldn't be bothered by an older tot.

• I agree that you should say something to her.  Not accusatory, but just suggest that if he is falling on something to leave a mark for awhile that you want to know, just so you can keep an eye on it.  Especially if he appears to have gotten stung by a bee, bit by a mosquito, etc. so you can make sure to keep it clean, put hydrocortisone cream on it, and so on.

At our DC, they give us an incident report if he gets cut, is involved in something with another kid, etc.  Minor marks no, but they do tell us when we pick him up.  Just a quick "Ty fell and bumped his head pretty good, so he may get a bruise"  Just kind of a head's up.

As for other kids.... since he's at a DC he's with kids his own age.  In the early morning and late afternoon though they combine all the kids as others are filtering in and out, while a teacher may start cleaning other room's and things to prep the end of day. 

• Our DCP tells MH everything when he picks up Ash, form bumps and scrapes to how he ate, he gets a full report. And if something especially traumatic (or awesome!) happens she sends me a FB message to tell me too. The things she tells me are usually no big deal, like when he had scrapes all over his legs form playing, and I tell her not to worry about it, our kid is a maniac. But she still wants to make sure we are aware of what his day was like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"