Working Moms
Options

So grossed out by DS's daycare

So I'm watching on the webcam and the teacher is changing diapers while handling the kids lunches in between, without washing her hands!!!  I immediately called the director and told them this is unacceptable, disgusting, and I will not tolerate it.  She promised to talk to her and that it would not happen again, this is not their practice and she agreed it was not acceptable.  Four more months until my son changes schools and I can't wait.  I wish it could be sooner but this was the best I could do.  Last week ds came home with his first stomach bug, throwing up and everyting, and now I can pretty much bet how it happened.  This woman is so disgusting and I don't want her anywhere near my kid.  I also would like to curl up in a ball right now and cry over all the guilty working mom stuff.  : ( 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

Re: So grossed out by DS's daycare

• Options
    AgoAgo member
    As my uncle, who is a nurse, always says: The stomach is not a sterile environment.  It sounds like the director is willing to address it.  Yes, the stomach bug may have been due to this, or it could be typical daycare germ exposure.  It happens and it might be best to stay away from the webcam if there's nothing else you can do about it right now.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Options
    That is truly foul but you were vigilant and it will be addressed. I understand why you're uncomfortable with DS being there but it won't be long until he moves to a place you like better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In the meantime can you ask to have DS transfered to another room away from this teacher? 

• Options
    Is she using Purell or something?  I won't lie, unless DS shits everywhere, I rarely wash my hands with soap and water after a diaper. I just gel my hands up.
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    Is she using Purell or something?  I won't lie, unless DS shits everywhere, I rarely wash my hands with soap and water after a diaper. I just gel my hands up.

But, I doubt you would go prep food right after a diaper change either?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

imagemabenner1:

But, I doubt you would go prep food right after a diaper change either?

That's true. That part is skeevy.

• Options

Ugh, disgusting!  If the DC was being inspected that would definitely be a violation. Kudos to the director who is taking immediate action and agrees it is unacceptable.

Do you actually see the diaper changes?  I'm a bit disturbed about this too. Our DC strategically placed the web cams out of view of the changing area and bathrooms to protect the children.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLoCarb:

Ugh, disgusting!  If the DC was being inspected that would definitely be a violation. Kudos to the director who is taking immediate action and agrees it is unacceptable.

Do you actually see the diaper changes?  I'm a bit disturbed about this too. Our DC strategically placed the web cams out of view of the changing area and bathrooms to protect the children.

I can't see the kids on the changing table but I can see them lift them up to to the table and then put them back down.  So it's not like you can see their little parts or anything or that would disturb me too.  I'm very happy that the director took immediate action.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

• Options
    imageMrs.RockyM:

In the meantime can you ask to have DS transfered to another room away from this teacher? 

Luckily this is actually his last day in that room since they're closed tomorrow and Friday. After Labor Day he starts a new room, BUT, this particular teacher is moving with him. : /

• Options
    I'm assuming they wear gloves to change diapers? I work at a daycare and did actually work with a woman who would not wear gloves to change diapers and would then prepare the children's lunches...yeah, she got fired. But I guess if they had gloves on while doing diapers, it wouldn't bother me so much.
  • Options

imagealstumb@gmail.com:
    I'm assuming they wear gloves to change diapers? I work at a daycare and did actually work with a woman who would not wear gloves to change diapers and would then prepare the children's lunches...yeah, she got fired. But I guess if they had gloves on while doing diapers, it wouldn't bother me so much.

This. Our DC wears gloves for diaper changes. I agree that is just disgusting!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was going to also say she is probably wearing gloves b/c most places require that, but they still should have 1 person doing diapers & 1 handing out food regardless.

• Options

I don't think you're over-reacting at all.  That is a huge issue!  Fecal contamination of food is one of the biggest causes of food-borne illness, and a nasty e coli infection can be very dangerous and even fatal- especially in young children that don't have fully developed immune systems. 

Almost all of the e coli outbreaks/food contamination stories you hear can be linked back to someone not washing their hands after bathroom activities and handling foods or having bathroom run-off run into fields where produce is growing.

I am not a germ freak by any means (I encourage DS to play in dirt, sand, etc.), but poop is an entirely different story.  What's even worse is that it's going between multiple kids.  I would report this to your state licensing board or health department.  I would also ask DC to go a step further and request that this teacher not handle any food moving forward.  There should be someone in charge of diapers and someone else in charge of food.  And whoever changed the diapers should do a throrough hand washing (gloves or not) when they're done with the changes.  I know that more than you would do at home, but at home, you don't have the opportunity to "cross contaminate" between multiple kids.

MAJOR YUCK!!!!!

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"