Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Everyone is at a loss

This has been an incredibly difficult week and has now been compounded by the fact that none of the doctors know what's going on. I had started spotting at about 4 weeks and went in for an ultrasound, where they didn't see a sac nor did they see anything in my tubes (ectopic). We took some blood and found out that my hCG was 130 and my progesterone was 3. I was devastated because I knew that I would be having a miscarriage soon but went ahead with the second blood test 48 hours later. Those results came back at 92. The following day, Thursday, I started to bleed and clot and had cramps. I knew I was having a miscarriage and was trying to cope with this loss but I had to go in on Monday to make sure my hCG levels had fallen accordingly. Those results came back Tuesday at 197! Incredibly confused, my doctor asked me to go to the er to have another ultrasound, more blood tests, and a pap smear as everyone assumed it must be ectopic now. We did another ultrasound and again, saw nothing, anywhere. The blood test came back at 269, less than 24 hours later from my previous one. I now have to go in and have yet another blood test tomorrow to see if my levels are going up enough.

I'm confused and concerned as all signs seem to point to a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy but I worry that they will just do a d & c or give me medication without really knowing why my levels keep jumping around. I should be just over 5 weeks now, so I don't know if my levels are too low for a viable pregnancy. I'm also more than annoyed that no one is giving me a progesterone supplement as this is incredibly low. Has anything like this happened to anyone? I was just coming to terms with our loss and then the er doctor said that it could be one of three things...an ectopic pregnancy, a miscarriage, or a viable pregnancy. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Re: Everyone is at a loss

• Options

I'm sorry you're in Limbo, but don't give up completely. I had something similar happen to me in March  At 12 & 14 dpo, my betas were only 14/16 with a P4 level of 2. i had a period, and then 4 days later my betas started to double for one week, and reached a max of 875 before they started dropping. i was terrified of an ectopic, but in the end it was just a non-viable and I naturally miscarried.

I also know of a girl who also had something very similar happen and she's now in her 2nd trimester.   Don't give up - betas can do anything. your doctor should give you a progesterone Rx just in case something to help get that number up. If low progesterone is slowing the development of the pregnancy because your betas are rising somewhat appropriately now, it could be a huge help, and if it isn't a viable pregnancy, it won't hurt you at all by taking it. 

1. They can't see anything until your HCG reaches a minimum of 1000, really 2000.That means that no one can tell you if it's ectopic or uterine until then.  The important thing is that you are being closely watched by your doctor, so they will catch it if it is ectopic. 

2. Breathe deeply, try to stay calm, and understand that there  is very little anyone can do at this stage to change the outcome. For better or worse, you just need to wait it out. Beta He!! really is that - utter he!!, but it's doesn't last forever. DO NOT do anything (D&C, methotraxate) until you and your Dr. are 100% sure it is non-viable (your betas start dropping) or ectopic (your betas are no longer rising appropriately or you see something in the tubes). You are the one that has to live with the results, and you never ever want to be in a place where you ask yourself, "what-if"

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time.

I don't want to give you false hope, but another possibility is that you had a twin pregnancy and lost one (which would explain the bleeding, drop, and low prog.) but one is still there and hopefully viable (which would explain the number going up again.)

https://tinyurl.com/6mtwhhb

If you scroll down on the above link there is a chart giving hcg levels by gestational age.

Also, if your numbers continue to go up, ask what your prog. level is and if they will put you on a supplement if it is still low.  My RE said they usually can't see anything on u/s until hcg is 1000 or higher, but I did have a sac before that number so it is possible.

Good Luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for all you have been going through. I did go through something similar in that things would seem good one minute and bad the next. It was hard emotionally to deal with all the ups and downs.
    The best thing for me was to lean on my husband and mom, and use this message board. There is an entire network of people on this board who won't judge you, and you can listen to their stories and share as much as you want to. It's nice to be able to unload it all to people who have been there. And it's inspiring to read stories from strong women and get the advice on how to cope.
    It helped me out so much. Thoughts and prayers your way.
  • Options
    Thank you for the positive comments, I am feeling better but today is the blood test. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow for a follow up on what my hCG levels were as well as talking to her about progesterone medication. I feel more nervous about bringing up the subject of putting me on a medication when it seems to be clear that she doesn't want me to take it until I have a history of miscarriages. I feel like I want to be more proactive then that and I am so angry at myself to think that maybe had I pushed harder about it, I might not have miscarried(or whatever is going on) in the first place. I don't know what I'm hoping to hear...that my numbers have gone up (which could mean an ectopic or a viable pregnancy) or down (meaning I will miscarry soon). Thanks again for your helpful comments as they are what's getting me through this process.  
  • Options
    And now my hCG is at 333 (197 on Monday, 269 Tuesday and 333 Wednesday)! What?! Going in for another ultra sound this afternoon, so hopefully they will see "something." Wish me luck!
  • Options

imageShevenor:
    And now my hCG is at 333 (197 on Monday, 269 Tuesday and 333 Wednesday)! What?! Going in for another ultra sound this afternoon, so hopefully they will see "something." Wish me luck!

It is very unlikely you will see anything with HCG of 333, however your numbers are rising slowly but appropriately (should be in a  36-72 hour window) There is really no point of doing daily beta draws, they should be 48 hours apart.  www.betabase.info is a great site where you can check your doubling time and compare to others

again, the only thing you can do is exhibit patience and continue to be a pin cushion for a while longer

BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
  • Options

imageShevenor:

It is very unlikely you will see anything with HCG of 333, however your numbers are rising slowly but appropriately (should be in a  36-72 hour window) There is really no point of doing daily beta draws, they should be 48 hours apart.  www.betabase.info is a great site where you can check your doubling time and compare to others

again, the only thing you can do is exhibit patience and continue to be a pin cushion for a while longer

BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"