March 2012 Moms

Solids? puree vs. store bought & schedule

Jonathan has been on solids level one foods now for over a month, I started him on oatmeal cereal a week before he was 4 months, and he has pretty much tried all level one foods.  Oddly enough he really likes the oatmeal; to be honest he's like everything I have given him. But I have a couple concerns

question one: I have been pureeing my own fruits and veggies for DS, and he will eat one cube (about 1 oz), but normally doesn't finish. Over the weekend, we were gone most of the time, so I ended up buying the gerber organic carrot and sweet potato food from store, which was 2.5 oz, and he loved it and ate it all, I wasn't getting food on the spoon fast enough!!

Have any of you experienced this? I am wondering if my purees are to thick which is why he won't finish 1oz of it. I try thinning them out, but maybe it's not enough. I am not sure. He ate great over the weekend, 6oz bottle and 2.5 oz of gerber food, when usually he won't even finish 1oz.

question two: for your LO's who have been on solids for awhile now, what is their eating schedule? I give him oatmeal for breakfast, he usually eats it 30minutes after he drinks 6oz bottle. and then i do veggie or fruit for early afternoon around 3pm. Should i been doing solids three times a day now and add a dinner time one?

thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Solids? puree vs. store bought & schedule

• I'm sorry I have no advice for you!  I am also wondering about schedule- has anyone found any guidelines for how much and how often?  LO will eat a whole Gerber 1st foods in no time at all.  Yesterday I did cereal and a thing of carrots right after she nursed really well.  She's such a good little eater!

Have you tried seasoning the food you make at all?  DD2 used to love mint and nutmeg.  I haven't done that yet with this baby but I'm sure I'll get there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  I found the same thing with jarred vs. home made food.  We went away so I bought some jarred squash and she really gobbled it up.  Typically she likes the home made squash, but she doesn't love it like she loved the jarred stuff.  It says that there is only squash and water on the ingredients list, but I am convinced there must be something different, because that was all I put in the home made stuff too.

As for a schedule, DD eats twice a day right now.  She has 1 tbsp of cereal and 1-2 oz of veggie at breakfast and 2 tbsp of cereal and 1-2 oz of veggie for dinner.  I am thinking of adding in lunch soon though.  I have two pamphlets that have feeding guides in them - one from nestle baby that was sent to me in the mail, and one that I picked up in the baby section of the local grocery store.  The link to the nestle pdf version is below, but if is doesn't work you can go onto the nestle baby website and search for nestlebaby feeding guide.  It's Canadian, but I am sure the standards are pretty similar.

https://www.nestle-baby.ca/en/mommytools/docs/nestlebaby_feeding_guide.pdf

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageraspberry_bride:

I found the same thing with jarred vs. home made food.  We went away so I bought some jarred squash and she really gobbled it up.  Typically she likes the home made squash, but she doesn't love it like she loved the jarred stuff.  It says that there is only squash and water on the ingredients list, but I am convinced there must be something different, because that was all I put in the home made stuff too.

As for a schedule, DD eats twice a day right now.  She has 1 tbsp of cereal and 1-2 oz of veggie at breakfast and 2 tbsp of cereal and 1-2 oz of veggie for dinner.  I am thinking of adding in lunch soon though.  I have two pamphlets that have feeding guides in them - one from nestle baby that was sent to me in the mail, and one that I picked up in the baby section of the local grocery store.  The link to the nestle pdf version is below, but if is doesn't work you can go onto the nestle baby website and search for nestlebaby feeding guide.  It's Canadian, but I am sure the standards are pretty similar.

https://www.nestle-baby.ca/en/mommytools/docs/nestlebaby_feeding_guide.pdf

thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"