January 2013 Moms

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Who has started it? Who is starting it in the 3rd trimester? If you have it, where did you purchase it? TIA!
Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

• I used it around my EDD with my son (he was late) and it didnt do a thing! Granted I was dilating and softening just fine on my own - just no labor :)

Got it at a local health food store, but Id imagine you can find it on amazon.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• imagePrivacyWanted:
    I'll start it in 3rd tri...I thought we weren't supposed to before then?
    I'll probably use the Earth Mama Baby Angel brand 3rd tri tea again which contains it

It was reccommended for 3rd tri with DS, but from what I am reading, now some are reccommending that you have one cup during the 1st and 2nd trimester too.... that seems REALLY new though so I think I will stick with starting it at 27-28 weeks....

Where will you purchase yours?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagePgh-CTBride:

I used it around my EDD with my son (he was late) and it didnt do a thing! Granted I was dilating and softening just fine on my own - just no labor :)

Got it at a local health food store, but Id imagine you can find it on amazon.

Amazon... good call!! :)

I would start it earlier this time.... over time it helps prepare the uterus for labor so I bet it would help you more if you started it at the beginning of the 3rd tri. Just a thought!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It can cause contractions, so I was told by my OB and my Bradley instructor last time not to start it until the end of pregnancy - just in case.

I started at exactly 36 weeks with my son.  (Even though that wasn't full term, I figured tea wasn't going to do much for me in a week.)  And I'm not sure if it did anything or not . . . at my 38 week appointment I had almost no progress, and I delivered him at 39w2d after 28 hours of active labor.  

I'll probably do it again, but it certainly didn't do anything magical for me last time.

(I should add, I also starting using EPO at 36 weeks, and other methods for labor preparation at 37 weeks . . . ) 

ETA:  Ditto Amazon. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • What is it?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • imagelittlemaybaby:

It can cause contractions, so I was told by my OB and my Bradley instructor last time not to start it until the end of pregnancy - just in case.

I started at exactly 36 weeks with my son.  (Even though that wasn't full term, I figured tea wasn't going to do much for me in a week.)  And I'm not sure if it did anything or not . . . at my 38 week appointment I had almost no progress, and I delivered him at 39w2d after 28 hours of active labor.  

I'll probably do it again, but it certainly didn't do anything magical for me last time.

(I should add, I also starting using EPO at 36 weeks, and other methods for labor preparation at 37 weeks . . . ) 

It never gave me contractions- just Braxton Hicks, which is is what strengthens the uterus for labor.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    What is it?

Here is a good place to start researching... this tells you all of the benefits of it.

https://www.bulkherbstore.com/Red-Raspberry-Leaf-Organic-Cut

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagePrivacyWanted:
    3rd amazon...although last time I got so much from my order (Like 10 boxes) I wonder if it's still good

Do you know how much you are supposed to put in each cup of tea? Also what is the thing called that you dip in the water and let sit..... instead of getting tea bags....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagelittlemaybaby:

It can cause contractions, so I was told by my OB and my Bradley instructor last time not to start it until the end of pregnancy - just in case.

It never gave me contractions- just Braxton Hicks, which is is what strengthens the uterus for labor.

I understand.  A lot of people say this.  But with my loss history, I'm not tempting fate.  I defer to my midwives for their knowledge on stuff like this.   

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imagemrsodonnell12:

imageFurtureMrsCurtis:
    What is it?

Here is a good place to start researching... this tells you all of the benefits of it.

https://www.bulkherbstore.com/Red-Raspberry-Leaf-Organic-Cut

THANKS!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • imagelittlemaybaby:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagelittlemaybaby:

I understand.  A lot of people say this.  But with my loss history, I'm not tempting fate.  I defer to my midwives for their knowledge on stuff like this.   

I couldnt agree more! I do as well- if my midwife says to wait to use it until 32 or 34 weeks I will 100% be doing that! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This seems obvious, but make sure you read the label.  I bought some last time and read the box when I got home.  There was no real RRL in it : /  Doh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedrpayne:
    This seems obvious, but make sure you read the label.  I bought some last time and read the box when I got home.  There was no real RRL in it : /  Doh.

Um yeah - great point.  There are tons of red raspberry teas out there . . . that are nothing more than flavored black tea!  Make sure you get RRL tea. 

• imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:
    3rd amazon...although last time I got so much from my order (Like 10 boxes) I wonder if it's still good

Do you know how much you are supposed to put in each cup of tea? Also what is the thing called that you dip in the water and let sit..... instead of getting tea bags....

Its a tea infuser, strainer, or ball. You can find it under any of those names.

My midwife suggested starting now with one weak cup. Then in third tri, I can make it stronger tea. She said make it as strong as you like it, as far as how much to add.

Also, I got mine at the local health food store.

Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• imageNoethola:
    imagemrsodonnell12:

imagePrivacyWanted:

Its a tea infuser, strainer, or ball. You can find it under any of those names.

My midwife suggested starting now with one weak cup. Then in third tri, I can make it stronger tea. She said make it as strong as you like it, as far as how much to add.

Also, I got mine at the local health food store.

Thanks!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelittlemaybaby:

imagedrpayne:
    This seems obvious, but make sure you read the label.  I bought some last time and read the box when I got home.  There was no real RRL in it : /  Doh.

Um yeah - great point.  There are tons of red raspberry teas out there . . . that are nothing more than flavored black tea!  Make sure you get RRL tea. 

Now I'm scared to order it- I dont even know where to start!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagelittlemaybaby:

imagedrpayne:

No reason to be concerned. Just make sure it says "Red Raspberry LEAF Tea" and not "Red Raspberry Tea". The second would be a flavor enhanced black tea usually. The first is an herbal tea. :-) It needs to have the actual leaf in it, not just raspberry or raspberry flavoring.

https://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Womans-Raspberry-Supplement-16-Count/dp/B0009F3SFK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346171749&sr=8-4&keywords=red+raspberry+leaf+tea

You can find Yogi in a lot of stores, it is a good brand. You can probably get it cheaper though as a loose tea.

Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• imageNoethola:
    imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagelittlemaybaby:

imagedrpayne:

No reason to be concerned. Just make sure it says "Red Raspberry LEAF Tea" and not "Red Raspberry Tea". The second would be a flavor enhanced black tea usually. The first is an herbal tea. :-)

Got it- thank you!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My prenatal (Rainbow Light Prenatal One) has Red Raspberry Extract in it.  I better ask my OB if I should drink the tea as well.  Don't want to overdo it!

bfp#1 2/1/11 ~ natural m/c 2/21/11 (7w2d)
    bfp#2 5/26/11 ~ missed m/c dx @ 10w (7w3d) ~ d&c 7/14/11
    bfp#3 5/2/12 ~ baby elijah arrived 1/14/13!
  • I haven't ordered yet but I will probably get a pound of loose RRL here: https://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/1-red-raspberry-leaf/

I googled for it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My midwife had me start drinking it in the second trimester. Just one cup a day. Then increased it once a hit the third to 2 times a day. By the end I was making it pretty strong too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use Traditional Medicinals' Raspberry Leaf tea.

https://www.TraditionalMedicinals.com/RaspberryLeaf

I bought it at my local regular supermarket.

For a previous pregnancy I started using raspberry leaf in the 1st trimester. This time around I bought it but haven't yet started brewing it up yet.

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Ah, I'm glad you brought this up!  I'm planning to start drinking it in 3rd tri, but I wanted to ask my MW about it and see what their recommendations are.  I'll ask at my appointment tomorrow now that you reminded me :)
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I drink it throughout, and after (is great for recovery), and big it from bulkherbstore.com.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Also, I brew mine in a regular coffee pot (I have one specifically for tea), and if I do a full 12cup ounce pot, I put in 13the teaspoons of the loose leaf. Always one teaspoon more than the ounces. Thats what I was told at the tea store.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I won't start drinking it until 3rd. I like the Traditional Medicinals brand (I've used other teas by them in the past). I buy it at my local health food store but I've seen it carried in larger chain stores (Stop and Shop if anyone is in New England!). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"