Toddlers: 24 Months+

When your toddler gets wound up...

...how do you help calm him/her down or prevent it in the first place?  My DS is 2.5 and is easily wound up (running around, being loud and jumping all over furniture and people) in certain situations.  When he is home with just me and DS#2 he is usually fine, but if someone comes to the house (particularly my FIL, who does a lot of silly play), it is VERY difficult to get him to calm down and I usually have to take him out of the situation entirely, which isn't always easy with a 9 month-old who is in the throes of separation anxiety.  I do my best to get a lot of active play in on a daily basis, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  I was just wondering if any of you moms have some good strategies.  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: When your toddler gets wound up...

• We have several friends/family members who get DD worked up when they come over too.  They are just loud and physical when it comes to playing with her and she responds accordingly.  If you feel comfortable talking to them about it, you could ask or suggest they engage in more "calm" activities, like sitting on the floor and playing with blocks or reading books.  My husband is very much into physical playing with DD when he gets home from work and then couldn't figure out why she was so hyper and worked up when it was time to put her down for bed.  I explained to him that she needs some quiet/peaceful time to help her calm down and it's been much better.  

Then there are just times when you have to let them get a little crazy and excited and just accept it for what it is.  After my DD has been playing for a while and is all wound up I try to give her several reminders that, for example, "we're going to sit down and a read a few books in about 10 minutes" or "it's going to be time to put on our pajamas and settle down soon"  I'll give her these reminders a couple times so when it's time to actually do them, she's not surprised and as upset that the "fun" time is over.  Doesn't always work 100%, but it helps that there are no surprises for her and makes the transition a little easier. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"