August 2011 Moms

Music class question

DS and I have taken a couple of different music classes and I am always blown away by how expensive they are. It comes out to about $22 a class. I do it because we need activities but I'm curious if this is standard? I've taken one in the city and in the burbs. I guess I'm venting more than anything but I'm curious what you have experienced.

Re: Music class question

• I live in NYC so our prices are pretty inflated and out of whack with the rest of the country. Most classes here $50/class. It's generally a 14 or 16 week semester for $700-$800. 

This fall, one of the classes we are taking was $595 for 12 weeks. It sucks but it's just how it is here :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We pay 100 for 20 classes. But, with two kids we pay 200. So, it works out to 10 for two kids per class.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLindsayNY:

I live in NYC so our prices are pretty inflated and out of whack with the rest of the country. Most classes here $50/class. It's generally a 14 or 16 week semester for $700-$800. 

This fall, one of the classes we are taking was $595 for 12 weeks. It sucks but it's just how it is here :( 

Oh y goodness, I guess I shouldn't complain.  I'm in Boston and thought our prices were bad!  I thought moving just outside the city would make it better but it really hasn't. 

• Check out this website: https://national.macaronikid.com/

If it is available in your area, there is an agenda of local free to low cost baby-kid activities. Sometimes there are music classes but at least you could find some other free child activities!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamywalt1684:

Check out this website: https://national.macaronikid.com/

If it is available in your area, there is an agenda of local free to low cost baby-kid activities. Sometimes there are music classes but at least you could find some other free child activities!

What a great website! Thanks for sharing! 

• We pay $77.00 a month which I thought was a lot but now realize isn't bad at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I take Kindermusik. I believe the classes are about $10/each. Same with Gymboree but you need to sign a contract with them, which I find ridiculous. 
    imageimage
  • imageLalaMama81:
    I think the $22/class is a bit high, of course nothing compares to NYC prices. I think the ones most of my friends did were around $15/class. I still thought that was steep, but I know I am cheap. We loved the free story time at the library which is all but about 6-8  weeks a year, is an hour long, stories, music and a craft. 

All of this.  I was startled at the price of $15 to $20 for a single class, and started researching cheaper alternatives.  We are starting free story time at the local library next week, and I truly think that she will have just as much fun there as at a $20 music class.

I'm trying to avoid the cost of these types of things now, while she doesn't know any better.  I mean, right now, she's absolutely entertained by a simple trip to the grocery store! I figure there will be plenty of expensive activities she will want to try when she is older, so I'm trying to take advantage of lower cost or free events while she is still young.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"