Baby Showers
Options

Things on a registry...

Okay, so my fiance and I were at BRU the other day and started scanning things for baby. We only scanned small things like bottles, bibs, baby body wash and what not.

I got home from walking my dog today and randomly thought oh, I should look at my friends registry since her shower is this weekend. I noticed that she had put TONS of large (and fairly expensive) items on there like car seats, strollers, baby swings, full crib bedding sets, an electric breast pump... etc.

Anyway... is it appropriate to ask for things like that ?

Re: Things on a registry...

• Options
    Yes. I asked for anything that we would buy for ourselves. If it's so expensive you wouldn't buy it, then don't put it on the registry. It is generally considered appropriate to register for things up to the first year. Keep in mind, friends and/or family may want to go in on "big ticket" items.
  • Options

imageMrsNorry:
    Yes. I asked for anything that we would buy for ourselves. If it's so expensive you wouldn't buy it, then don't put it on the registry. It is generally considered appropriate to register for things up to the first year. Keep in mind, friends and/or family may want to go in on "big ticket" items.

Oh okay. It's just me then. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're not putting say, a laptop or big screen TV on there (I HATE when I see people put those on wedding registries), and everything is clearly baby-related.  I put a swing, bouncer, stroller, etc. on mine, but I also put plenty of smaller items on there, too...  Some under ten, some around 20, 30, etc.  People will buy what they want to buy and spend what they want to spend.  It's just a guideline.  You're not telling anyone they have to buy a stroller...  But I hope she had some smaller items on there too, or it would look a little greedy to me.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    Those are pretty typical registry items.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Assuming she has more than triple digit prices on there, no, I wouldn't side eye it.  However, if everything is big-ticket I'd probably just get her a GC. 

I only had one big ticket item purchased for me, something I still needed.  A lot of people gave me gift cards to use to use for his car seat.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I didn't register, but I had a lot of people that wanted to spend 1000. It all depends on your audience. Register for whatever you would buy yourself.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    Yes.  The only big ticket items we didn't ask for with ds were furniture items (crib, dresser, and changing station)... I was later yelled at my mom and his mom for getting the crib.

Plus, if someone doesn't buy it for you, then you get a discount when you buy the rest of the items left on your registry.
  • Options

I think it's fine to put anything and everything you need for the first year.  So, swing, strollers, carseats, pump, pack n play, etc.

Lots of people went in as groups and bought my larger items.  My coworkers chipped in on a $200 gift card that I used to buy my pump!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies. I was just wondering since this is our first child. My fiance and I both agreed that we didn't want to have our friends and family buy anything too expensive. We kind of feel like we're asking for too much.

Anyway, I told him it was normal; We still agreed on buying all of the larger items that we need.

(And she did have a few smaller items.)

• Options
    ny guests were pissed i didnt have enough 100+ ticket items

• Options

For a first baby, yes its completely appropriate to ask for the big ticket items on a registry but you don't have to if it personally makes you feel icky.

No one should expect anyone to buy the big ticket stuff for them, those are usually for the grandparents to buy or they're on the registry in order to secure the big coupon for registry completion. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You should register for those bigger items.  Most places give a completion coupon after your shower is over so you can buy whatever is left on the registry with a discount.  Many people register just so they can get the discount later! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning on buying most of the big ticket things ourselves, but will be putting them on the registry in case people want to buy them for us. If not, we will be able to take advantage of the registry completion discount after the shower!
  • Options
    Put on a registry what you would feel comfortable buying yourself. I've seen cribs, strollers, high chairs, car seats, etc on MULTIPLE registries over the years, so it's definitely not a big deal in my eyes. People are always free to purchase off the registry or not, at whatever price point they feel comfortable with. You are not forcing them to buy these items by creating a registry -- you are giving them ideas about your tastes/ needs. Perhaps several friends/ family members would want to chip in on a higher priced item, so I say "go for it!" Plus, people don't need a registry to know that the baby needs clothes and bottles and bibs -- they will buy them for you regardless!
    BFP 7/16/12, Due 3/23/13, DS #1 born 3/13/13 BFP #2 8/10/14, CP 8/16/14 BFP #3 9/16/14
  • Options
    yes you definitly put those on.  You are not forcing people to buy you someone but just showing things that you want/need.  I don't think you should register for crazy expensive items (unless everyone you know is rich) but putting a $300 carriage is totally reasonable.  Multiple people can go in on it, one person can buy it or no one.  Put various priced items on your registry this way people haven options

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageTiger269:
    We are planning on buying most of the big ticket things ourselves, but will be putting them on the registry in case people want to buy them for us. If not, we will be able to take advantage of the registry completion discount after the shower!

I think this is what we're going to be doing. I had no idea that there was a completion discount until this post.

How does the discount work exactly ?

• Options
    I'm not 100% sure on the BRU details as far as time frame and whatnot, but with our wedding registries we had one year of 10% off anything that was listed on our registry. We even added things after the wedding just to get the discount. I don't know if BRU does it after the baby is born or just after your event (shower) date. We haven't made it that far yet (waiting to find out the sex next month). My friends who have recently had babies were the ones who passed that advice on to me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"