May 2012 Moms
Options

buying a drop-side crib?

I'm looking into getting a crib for my mom's house. Ideally, I'd like to get a used one.

Unfortunately, most of the cribs listed on Craigslist are not new enough to be fixed-side cribs. And most of the drop-side cribs listed have not been converted to fixed-side.

If you've done it, what does converting a drop-side crib entail? Is there a universal kit for stabilizing the side or do I get it from the manufacturer? Is it If you have a converted drop-side crib, are you happy with how stable the side is?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: buying a drop-side crib?

• Options
    imagePotomacSt:

I'm looking into getting a crib for my mom's house. Ideally, I'd like to get a used one.

Unfortunately, most of the cribs listed on Craigslist are not new enough to be fixed-side cribs. And most of the drop-side cribs listed have not been converted to fixed-side.

If you've done it, what does converting a drop-side crib entail? Is there a universal kit for stabilizing the side or do I get it from the manufacturer? Is it If you have a converted drop-side crib, are you happy with how stable the side is?

I've only heard of people using screws and hardware to secure the side up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We got ours from my sister.  They contacted the company and got a repair kit for free to secure the side.  The number for the company (storkcraft in this case) was printed under where the mattress goes.  It is very secure.  You could contact the sellers to see if the number for the company and serial number is still visable on the crib.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another (possibly cheaper?) idea is to get a pack and play secondhand or new.  That's what we use at my mom's.  When she gets bigger it will convert to be more like a crib... but for now we use the insert to make it easier to lift her out of it.

• Options
    My advice is to buy a portacrib, minicrib or pack and play. It's not even legal to sell drop side cribs anymore. The people who are doing it are breaking the law.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • Options
    imageMelissaMiso:
    imagePotomacSt:

I've only heard of people using screws and hardware to secure the side up.

This is what my husband did to ours.  It was still in good condition from my DD so he used his tools and hardware to secure it.  It's not going anywhere.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

imagemysteriousmommy:
    My advice is to buy a portacrib, minicrib or pack and play. It's not even legal to sell drop side cribs anymore. The people who are doing it are breaking the law.

I'm aware that it's not legal. But if I can get the conversion kit and do it myself, and if it makes it as sturdy as a fixed-side crib, I don't really see the problem.

I want something that'll be useful through toddlerhood, so I don't want a mini/portacrib... she's a tall baby already and my husband is 6'7" so I'm not taking my chances on something she might outgrow in 6 months. And I don't want my mom having to stoop to pick up/put down my giant baby in a pack n play.

I'm not opposed to buying a new crib, just looking at all my options first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePotomacSt:

imagemysteriousmommy:

I'm aware that it's not legal. But if I can get the conversion kit and do it myself, and if it makes it as sturdy as a fixed-side crib, I don't really see the problem.

I want something that'll be useful through toddlerhood, so I don't want a mini/portacrib... she's a tall baby already and my husband is 6'7" so I'm not taking my chances on something she might outgrow in 6 months. And I don't want my mom having to stoop to pick up/put down my giant baby in a pack n play.

I'm not opposed to buying a new crib, just looking at all my options first.

We have 2 mini cribs and I assure you they are plenty big unless my babies grow into the Jolly Green Giants.  Your call, though.  It was just a suggestion. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • Options
    I know my nephew who was in 5 t clothes at three years old could still nap in a pack n play.
    That being said we use our drop side crib from my first for my middle son and just screwed the side in place. But for my newest lo we looked at used cribs but most were more expensive than a new crib from amazon is. We are getting one from amazon when lo out grows his bassinet since with 2u2 we need two cribs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"