Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Anyone get pregnant on birth control while taking Clindamycin?

I am not ttc and am on birth control.  I got put on 300mg Clindamycin 4 times a day for an infected tooth. I have been on the antibiotics for over 2 weeks. My husband and I had date night a week ago and did the deed and totally forgot about the antibiotics and did not use back up protection.  I am a week from starting and noticed some light brown/beige cervical mucus. 

Has anyone gotten pregnant while taking birth control and on Clindamycin or any antibiotics?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Anyone get pregnant on birth control while taking Clindamycin?

• Options
    My SIL got KU while on depo shot and taking antibiotics. She somehow did not know antibiotics interfere with hormonal BC.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    skioskio member
    You may want to ask this on the tri boards of people who are already pregnant. People here are trying to get pregnant...thus not on birth control.

No, I have not gotten pregnant while on BCP and antibiotics. Nor do I know anyone who has.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I got pregnant with DD while on birth control. The antibiotics I was taking for an infected wisdom tooth disarmed my pill. I love DD very much. She was a lovely surprise.

The only thing you can do is test once a week until you get your period or a positive. It does happen. 

The best to you whatever situation you find yourself in. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you Prim Rose Mama.  What antibiotics were you on?
  • Options

imagejntupper:
    Thank you Prim Rose Mama.  What antibiotics were you on?

I was on Flagyl at the time.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I thought I would offer my two cents as a pharmacist. Only one antibiotic has been proven to interact with birth control and that is rifampin (used for tuberculosis). That being said, pharmacists usually caution women just in case (I do it for liability reasons). You will hear of stories that say it happens, but the scientific literature does not support that. Oral contraceptives have, on average, a 3% failure rate. Unless part of a scientific study it is almost impossible to prove that antibiotics resulted in oral contraception failure.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"