Special Needs

Gluten and Dairy Free Diet

DH and I are planing on putting DS on a gluten free, dairy free diet. He has not been officially Dx'ed with ASD because we have not had the evaluation done yet (there is a waiting list and so it will be done around Dec-Jan) but his pedi is pretty certain he is on the spectrum. In the mean time we would like to try something to see if it could help. DH's cousin is on the spectrum and a gluten free, dairy free diet works wonders for him so we want to try it out too.

Anyone know of any books or web sites that explain the in's and out's of this? I don't know much about gluten or dairy substitutes so anything would help!

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gluten and Dairy Free Diet

• I liked What's Eating Your Child by Kelly Dorfman.  It was pretty well rounded and not quite so strick in my opinion.  I also liked the Autism revolution by Martha Herbert. 

I personally haven't tried it, but I don't see any harm in giving it a shot.  The main issue for me was that my son really doesn't eat very many high gluton/dairy foods so I just didn't see it as a big fit in the picture for us personally.  I did really get some great ideas on good supplements from the books that I do currently use.  My son has a very limited diet and he seems at least healthier (gets sick much less often) from the supplements we have added.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have been gluten free for well over a year and we all feel 1000x better. The key here is to replace gluten and dairy with REAL food. Easy to digest, living food, not processed replacements. That's why a lot of people don't have success with it and give up or shoot down the diet. Adding in fermented foods and live strain probiotics when you make the dietary changes makes a huge difference too. Eliminating gluten and casein isn't enough, you have to repair the damage they have done to the intestinal lining.

The GAPS book is a great resource. As is Julie Matthews, Nourishing Hope. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecarlinlp:
    We have been gluten free for well over a year and we all feel 1000x better. The key here is to replace gluten and dairy with REAL food. Easy to digest, living food, not processed replacements. That's why a lot of people don't have success with it and give up or shoot down the diet. Adding in fermented foods and live strain probiotics when you make the dietary changes makes a huge difference too. Eliminating gluten and casein isn't enough, you have to repair the damage they have done to the intestinal lining. The GAPS book is a great resource. As is Julie Matthews, Nourishing Hope. Good luck!

Did you just start the diet on your own or did you see a biomedical doctor?  I think I am finally to a good point to start heading in this direction, but I'm wondering how much I can do on my own or if I need to find some professional help.

Thanks!

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"