Food Allergy

Weaning and so engorged, Please help!

LO started having mucousy blood stools this week, took him to ped. office and they said that he is having a milk protein allergy problem due to my BM. Now I had to we immediately wean him from my BM and feed him Alimentum formula. Problem is, now I am soooooo engorged and called my OBGYN and they told me to take motrin, put cold cabbage leaves on my breasts and ice them. Done all the above and so far there is no relief! I am in soooo much pain. I hear different things to try like cold compresses, hot compresses, parsley on breasts, cabbage on breasts, etc. Please help!

Re: Weaning and so engorged, Please help!

• Can you pump to relieve some of the pressure? The cabbage leaves and expressing some milk in a warm shower really helped me.
    imageimage
  • OMG---I don't miss those days.  I had the same thing happen to me.  BTW---Alimentum is AWESOME...and also, check to see if your insurance will maybe cover it.  OR at least save your receipts and you can possibly deduct on taxes.

BUT--to your issue.... what helped me was I would pump out no more than an ounce at a time---THAT helped tremendously.  It basically is telling your body "oh...ok...she only needs an ounce" (remember, your body produces what it needs) :....and it stops eventually making it.  I tried the cabbage leaves and ice--and that helped a little too.  Also warm showers and expressing by hand a bit helped too. 

So pump a little--NO more than an ounce though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"