December 2012 Moms

23 weeks measuring 28 weeks

Has anyone else been told by their doctors that they are measuring five weeks ahead?!? Today at my appointment my doctor said my baby is measuring 28 weeks and I am 23 weeks. She said if i continue to measure that much ahead, she will order another sonogram. She didn't say much else though. Are there other implications to having a baby that measures so far ahead?

I should add that she measured me with a tape measure on my belly - this wasn't a sonogram. 

Re: 23 weeks measuring 28 weeks

• I measured 4 weeks ahead almost my entire last pregnancy.  Some people just grow big bumps.  :)  Have you had your glucose test?  If you pass they probably won't worry.  The extra u/s will be nice though!  Even though I measured big I went to full term and only had a 9 pound baby so she wasn't super big.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It could mean that you have too much fluid or that your due date is off. I wouldn't worry too much though!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The tape measurement can vary and I wouldn't worry too much about that. At my 20wk appt, I measured 2 weeks ahead. At my 24 week appt, I measured right on track.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you have a sonogram when you found out you were pregnant? That is the most accurate measurement; and the next accurate is the femural measurement at the anatomy scan ultrasound. You may just have extra fluid, or your bump may just be growing a lot!
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • It really doesn't mean much, every doc measures slightly different than another so her 28 weeks could be someone else's 26 weeks. If you are consistently "big" according to your doctor, that's normal and really not anything to worry about. If *could* be indicative of gestational diabetes, but could also be indicative of nothing.
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • With my DS they never did an early u/s so when I had my a/s at around 20 weeks he was measuring 24/25 weeks so they moved my due date (and I got to skip a whole month of pregnancy - in my head).  And yes I had him right on time with my new due date.

• I am measuring 3 weeks ahead (according to a/s) and 2 weeks ahead according to the tapemeasure thing they do, my due date has been changed a few times Since we found out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i was told i was measuring 3 weeks ahead at 21 weeks i was measuring 24 weeks. They had another ultrasound because they didnt see everything at the last one. at the us i was 22 weeks they said i looked right on track but my baby weighed 1 lb 5oz which at what i am reading would be hitting at at the end of 23 weeks .. i dont know whats going on in there. id rather be moved ahead. 
    Pintrest:::Twitter
    Praying that this baby stays with me. BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Thanks, y'all. I'm resolved to not worry and to just wait until my next appointment. I appreciate all your insight!
  • I agree with the others. The tape measurement isn't really as accurate as the ultrasound. If the doc seemed too concerned he/she would have asked for another ultrasound to confirm. I'd just let it go and not worry. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"