March 2012 Moms

Overnight at Grandparents??

Just for stating....I have really great In-Laws but they are driving me batty!  I have 5 1/2 month old twins, only grandchildren on each side and just loved and adored by everyone.  Since they have arrived my In-Laws have basically begged and pleaded with us to have them stay the night at their home (which is not the cleanest of homes) and they live over an hour away.  I am fortunate to have a job that I do not need a lot of child care, if I do my husband is home with them but they are at our  house at every moment that they have free.  The twins are not sleeping through the night and they do not have accomodations for them (we would have to provide everything just to have them stay).  This does not seem appropriate to basically "move" in for one night and uproot their routine of being home and in an environment just so they can have one night of the weekend at their house.  My husband says "it is me trying to be controlling" but they are only 5 1/2 months old and we (I) would have to deal with the consequences of this decision.  I guess what I am asking is when did you have your children stay the night; even at the Grandparents house? 

Re: Overnight at Grandparents??

• We started having LO stay at grandparents since he was born. However, they live nearby so we can always come get him if there is a problem. We started with visits and made sure we approved with how they take care of him and how well they follow our directions. I make sure that if he stays over, that his routine is followed and he keeps his regular bedtime and naps. If they do not follow your instructions, then do not let them stay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagestarswinger:
    We started having LO stay at grandparents since he was born. However, they live nearby so we can always come get him if there is a problem. We started with visits and made sure we approved with how they take care of him and how well they follow our directions. I make sure that if he stays over, that his routine is followed and he keeps his regular bedtime and naps. If they do not follow your instructions, then do not let them stay.

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is almost 6 months old and still has not.  I'm just not comfortable with it yet (and his local grandparents are my parents).  He's not STTN and frankly neither DH nor I am ready for him to be gone overnight yet.  The routine would be a big thing for me - if they're not going to follow the routine and instructions that you and your H give them, then that wouldn't work for me.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • imageJessica1232:
    imagestarswinger:
    We started having LO stay at grandparents since he was born. However, they live nearby so we can always come get him if there is a problem. We started with visits and made sure we approved with how they take care of him and how well they follow our directions. I make sure that if he stays over, that his routine is followed and he keeps his regular bedtime and naps. If they do not follow your instructions, then do not let them stay.
    This.

Same with us.

photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • My dd would never stay with my IL. There house is a hoarder's house so it is not safe for any child to be there let alone myself. LOL  My dd hasn't stayed with my parents either but they live over 1000 miles away and even then I don't feel ready for her to be spending the night somewhere else.  Maybe after she is a year old would I feel comfortable with my SIL or staying with her over night.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My son is 2.5 and still has not spent the entire night away, my husband came home overnight to take care of him while I was in the hospital with baby #2.  He has just recently started to ask to stay with grandma and I would be fine with it now.  It's not being "controlling" that you don't want to have baby stay the night at this age when you are trying to establish sleeping routines and it may stress baby out unnecessarily to be away from mom at bedtime.  Not to mention, it's a huge hassle to have to lug a pack & play, enough diapers, wipes, formula/breastmilk, bottles, etc. for overnight.  I would not want to go through all the trouble just to "play".

If you were confident with the environment and the care they would receive, I would let them keep them for a couple hours of quality time during the day, but it sounds like you are concerned with the cleanliness of the home.  Maybe invite them to visit at your home more often or suggest an outing near them like a trip to the zoo or park, somewhere besides their messy house where they can spend quality time and not feel the need to have them overnight?  I don't know why they want to stay up all night with babies when they can love them and then send them home and get a good night's sleep? ha

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ugh, if I were you, I wouldn't even be considering it. DD is EBF and not STTN yet, so staying over night with her grandparents isn't an option. Thank goodness.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Dom has stayed with my parents and DH's.  He was at my parent's house for one night in April, and that put him at two months old.  Practically a newborn adjusted age.

He spent a long weekend at the IL's house when DH and I were in NY.  That was back in June, making him 4 months old and 2 months adjusted.

Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I guess I don't get it. Why is it so important to them to have the babies stay the night? The only reason I would even consider having my kid stay the night elsewhere was if we were going to be out very late and it would just be easier to stay the night. In that case, it would only be my mom and definitely not my in-laws! Even then, not right now. There's just too much gear to drag along and why disrupt all of our routines? Even now when my mom babysits, she always comes to my house. It's just easier since all the baby stuff is here. It doesn't make sense at this age to have them stay the night for the sake of staying there. It has nothing to do with control.

• imageeyenigh:
    I guess I don't get it. Why is it so important to them to have the babies stay the night? The only reason I would even consider having my kid stay the night elsewhere was if we were going to be out very late and it would just be easier to stay the night. In that case, it would only be my mom and definitely not my in-laws! Even then, not right now. There's just too much gear to drag along and why disrupt all of our routines? Even now when my mom babysits, she always comes to my house. It's just easier since all the baby stuff is here. It doesn't make sense at this age to have them stay the night for the sake of staying there. It has nothing to do with control.

This. DD has stayed overnight at one of our friends' houses. We were going to a big camp out birthday party and it was easier  to have her stay elsewhere.

Both sets of parents are over an hour away. I don't understand overnight visits unless it is for babysitting purposes. DD more than likely will not be staying the night away, especially with grandparents, until next summer. I do not trust my ILs to follow my directions. Of course, DH doesn't "get it" because he grew up in that environment. So really wanting to want until it isn't such a big deal and she is old enough that "Grandma House Rules" can be okay. Right now, that can't happen.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• We often times will stay at my parents' house overnight, but that is a different situation because I am there and do all of his care.

If my parents offered to take him overnight I would take them up on it in a heartbeat- I trust them, they have a crib and all he needs, and I know he'd be well taken care of. I'd kill for a full night's sleep.

Given your situation though, no I wouldn't do it. Mainly because you aren't comfortable with the cleanliness of the home and you want to be sure the routine is followed. I'm not sure if you're FF or BFing, but that's another factor. I don't know if the full night's sleep would be worth it for you if you needed to pump (for me, it would be worth it, but just another factor for you to consider).

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"