February 2013 Moms
Options

Worried About Back Pain

Three years ago I injured my back and finally 4mo ago was able to begin treatment :long story:

I got an MRI which confirmed a 9mm herniated disc, so approximately half my disc is out of place. Also, because it has now been like that for so long the joints of my L4,L5, and SI vertebra are swollen and deformed.

I hava an extraordinary pain threshold, but this pain regularly brought me to tears and has drastically impacted my activity level. Noninvasive treatment was completely unhelpful in my situation, so in May I went in for my first set of steoroid shots. They did a wonderful job! Pain was not eliminated, but became bearable. Later that month, I got pregnant.

It has now been 3mo and the shots have completely worn off. The pain is back with a vengeance and I am getting really miserable, not to mention I am terrified of how I will cope later on with a huge belly.

Continuing treatment is not an option as it is done by active Xray, and needless to say Tylenol does zilch! Any thoughts?? Suggestions??
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Worried About Back Pain

• Options

I've had 2 back surgeries and I know that, w/ DD, I had to buy a maternity support belt towards the end b/c the weight of my belly was really starting to strain my back. It helped "lift" my belly (like a bra) and ease some of the pain. Not sure if that would help you now, but that might be something you'll want to consider later on. 

Also, I know that Prenatal exercise such as Yoga and Pilates are extremely helpful in relieving back pain. I'm not a big Yoga fan, but I do like Pilates I've noticed a big difference in my back pain on days when I do it (which isn't often enough, I admit).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-27&33-34
  • Options
    I also have a herniated disc in L5 S1, an injury from 2 years ago. Nothing really helped me in the beginning, I got the shots, did ton's of physical therapy, and was still in terrible pain. My life has definitely changed.... but my silver lining was yoga. I know that now is not a great time for core strengthening, but that is really what would help. If you were to take a prenatal yoga class, I bet the instructor could really help you to deal with some of the pain, mine has been great. And after pregnancy, you should really think about starting up a core strengthening routine, which will help eliminate a lot of the pressure that your back is in. I have tons of exercises , but they are probably not pregnancy approved.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is my first post on the Bump because I can empathize so much with the pain you must be in.  (I hope it has decreased!) I have just gone through two weeks of absolute frustration and pain. I am finally feeling better, and I am just crossing my fingers I stay feeling okay.  I have a bulging L5S1 with tenderness at L4, L5, hips and my piriformis. (Original herniation and vertebrae fracture was in 2000 so it has come and gone over the years. However, like you, since being preggers I can't get the awesome shots this time around, and being pregnant is likely what caused the pain.)    

When I woke up and couldn't move two weeks ago (also after wetting the bed), I panicked and went to my primary care, acupuncture and a chiropractor.  Once it was determined that my muscles and nerves are freaking out and that it is not skeletal misalignment (at least not yet), I ditched the chiropractor.  I am relying heavily on Acupuncture, Physical Therapy, being active (walking) and icing regularly.  At the time when my new orthopedic told me to walk and to ice, I almost punched him. But, he was right, and since I've been more active, I have actually felt better.  I also switched doctors so the orthopedic I am seeing is in the same building and hospital partnership with my OB and with my PT.  I found it was helpful to create a "one stop shop" as they regularly communicate with each other and can electronically monitor my care, which will be important as I progress beyond the 15 weeks I currently am.  

I am also going to start going back to yoga  this week, which I gave up when my back was really painful.  Lastly, I was given a back brace that is amazing. I know it is usually for later in the pregnancy, but it is helpful already.  

I hope you are feeling better!!!!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"