1st Trimester
Options

Book recommendations?

A friend gave me What to Expect When You're Expecting... but any other must-read's for a first time momma-to-be?

Re: Book recommendations?

• Options
    I just got The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and I like it so far. I've heard Belly Laughs by Jenny MaCarthy is hilarious and I've had girlfriends recommend The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 2010
    #1 BFP 7/29/12 EDD 4/12/13 MC 9/5/12
    spring-flowers
  • Options

I just got Belly Laughs and finished the first chapter. LOVE IT!!

But for more of a textbook type, I got Your Pregnancy Week by Week from a friend and it seems pretty good, I just scanned it a bit so far. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For my "professional, written by doctors" book, I have the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It's informative, and has pictures of what your baby looks like from week to week (month-to-month later on in the pregnancy.) It's pretty informative.

However, the book that I LOVED reading was The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine. It's HILARIOUS, fun, and really relatable. It's great to have an informative book that you can turn to when you're worried about something, but GGTP is just fun and easy to read. I read it in a week, mostly at the gym on the elliptical on my Kindle. Some people criticize Vicki because she's not SUPER gung ho about natural childbirth, breast feeding, etc... So if you're VERY into having a natural water birth and that type of thing, it might not be for you... but for me, as a first-time mom who is planning to get as much pain meds as possible, I really enjoyed it.

I just bought Belly Laughs, I'm looking forward to reading that on my Kindle next. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    imagepinottoparenthood:

For my "professional, written by doctors" book, I have the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It's informative, and has pictures of what your baby looks like from week to week (month-to-month later on in the pregnancy.) It's pretty informative.

However, the book that I LOVED reading was The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine. It's HILARIOUS, fun, and really relatable. It's great to have an informative book that you can turn to when you're worried about something, but GGTP is just fun and easy to read. I read it in a week, mostly at the gym on the elliptical on my Kindle. Some people criticize Vicki because she's not SUPER gung ho about natural childbirth, breast feeding, etc... So if you're VERY into having a natural water birth and that type of thing, it might not be for you... but for me, as a first-time mom who is planning to get as much pain meds as possible, I really enjoyed it.

I just bought Belly Laughs, I'm looking forward to reading that on my Kindle next. 

I feel like I should clarify about the breast feeding thing... she's for breast feeding, but she basically says moms shouldn't feel bad about themselves if it doesn't work for them. I plan to breastfeed, I wasn't offended by that. But she seems to be pretty much against natural (epidural-free) childbirth. Which is fine by me, but offends some. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"