School-Aged Children

"big" boy bugs birthday party??

My son is turning 5 and he is SO into bugs right now.  Hunting for them constantly, keeps a bug catcher.  I was thinking of doing a bug-themed birthday party for him, but some of the things I've seen are for the younger kids (2-3).  Any suggestions on how to give him a big boy bug party? 

TIA!!

Re: "big" boy bugs birthday party??

• Instead of cake or cupcakes, you could serve the ever popular "dirt in a cup" with gummy worms on the top.

A cute craft I've seem is taking cardboard egg cartons and cutting them so you have two next to each other, cut out the bottoms, and then have the kids color them with markers/paint whatever, and use pipe cleaners to make them into "bug glasses" complete with antennae!

Pin the wings on the butterfly, or pin the stinger on the bee instead of tail on donkey...

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was thinking "nature center" too.   If you wanted to keep the party at your home, you could modify classic party games to give them a "buggy" theme.

You could pin the light on the firefly, you could do "musical chairs" and say that all the kids are ants trying to get back to the ant nest, etc.  Those games are really better for school-aged kids than preschoolers anyway.

Try Amazon for birthday supplies that aren't always featured in catalogs or party stores.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"