Food Allergy

Those w/family history of food allergies...

Do you agree with the theory that breast feeding 4+ mos will help decrease the chances of LO having food allergies?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those w/family history of food allergies...

• ETA: dd has multiple food allergies and I only breast fed 6 weeks with her. Allergies run on my husbands side. I obviously dread that DS is going to have these allergies but my supply is really low and not sure how much longer I will be able to breast feed. 
  • i only BF DD for 4-5 weeks because no matter what I did she still had bloody poops.  And it was not gradually getting better...she was actually getting worse.  I suspect that she was intolerant to many foods.  So for her I do not feel that EBF for 4 months would have helped minimize allergies later..in fact I wonder if the exposure actually makes the reactions worse.  who knows though...
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont think so! My lil guy has severe food allergies and he was ebf until 6 months, and is now on half formula and half bm.
  • I BF'd Jacob for 14 months, and hes allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and sesame seeds. I didnt BF James and hes allergic to peas...I was FF as a baby and am allergic to bananas, animals, grass, etc, etc...soooo, its hit or miss with us.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagetnd81:
    ETA: dd has multiple food allergies and I only breast fed 6 weeks with her. Allergies run on my husbands side. I obviously dread that DS is going to have these allergies but my supply is really low and not sure how much longer I will be able to breast feed. 

DS does not have any known food allergies.  I BF him exclusively for a full year.  DD on the other hand is allergic to milk and peanuts (sensative to soy and rice).  I was BFing her at the time of her dx so I really don't think me continuing to BF would have made a difference.  As a matter of fact I felt like I was unable to keep up with her sensativities and she is better off on the Alimentum and I introduce solids to her slowly.

If I was still BFing her today  (I stopped at 4 months) she would still be allergic to milk and peanuts so... Huh?

I do believe in the science that says BFing does help allergies.  But it's not necesarily true for every single child. 

ETA: actually, DS used to be sensative to tomatoes. He always got eczema breakouts from them. Not anymore, though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"