February 2013 Moms
Options

Whoa...

DH took DS over to MIL and FIL's house last night.  BIL and SIL came over as well, SIL is 25 weeks preggo.  Apparently MIL and FIL are into vodka right now (just got back from a trip to Russia) and offered everyone a shot (well not DS) and SIL TOOK ONE!  I am in complete shock!  DH told me that it was a "very small one" but I still cannot believe this at all.  Apparently her doc told her it was ok?

I don't know about this.  Super glad I wasn't there, I'm sure the look on my face would not have been very sisterly.  Am i overreacting to this?  What do you guys think? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: Whoa...

• Options

Wow! I think my mouth would have hit the floor if she took a actual drink.

I admit, my parents made some homemade cherry brandy and it had vodka in it. I took a snip but it was just enough to get a taste in my mouth not a drink.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Labor Buddy to chulita425!
  • Options
    I think one shot is the same alcohol content as one beer or one glass of wine, and according to lots of doctors, fine to do every once in a while during your second and third trimesters.  One shot isn't going to hurt her.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that having a very small shot is the same as having a small glass of wine. Alcohol is alcohol. I will have a small glass of wine while pregnant. My midwives have told me it is ok. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's not something that I would personally do, but a very small shot of vodka would be the equivalent of one glass of wine which some doctors (not mine) say is ok. Again not something I would do, but if her doc said one drink is fine then one small shot is the equivalent of one drink.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have had one beer once and a few sips of a martini.  I still think both are less than a glass of wine.  I think a small amount of alcohol occasionally is ok
  • Options
    A little bit of alcohol isn't going to do any harm. If she pounded the whole bottle as a chaser, that would be different and I'd be concerned about her drinking habits in general. But one shot wouldn't cause any consternation. I'm jealous because my DH recently finished off the vodka my aunt sent from Poland and now I really want some and there isn't a decent bottle of Polish to be had around here for 500 miles!
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't have done it but to each their own. I don't think that little bit is going to hurt anything.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have learned that the amount of alcohol that has bad effects on a growing fetus is completely dependent on the individual. In other words everyone is different and you are never sure what your particular threshold is. However, most studies show that babies with FAS are born to mothers who drank consistently. Therefore having an occasional drink while pregnant is a risk and, just like eating raw oysters when not pregnant, it is a risk that is a woman's legal right to choose to take or not to take.

Personally, I will not take this risk, but my SIL had a large glass of cheap wine on her baby shower (about 7 months) and I didn't judge.

If it had been cigarettes I would have politely, and not angrily, talked to her about why she was choosing to do this and maybe tried to educate her on why I would not do it in her shoes .

The reason why I draw the line is because the harm done by cigarettes is more concrete and the reason I would be calm is because I believe the best way to help someone you love to make more educated decisions is to educate them not come at them with anger and judgement.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is one of those things that I think is so culturally driven in us from a young age, I probably would have had a nasty reaction!

That being said, it's probably perfectly fine. They even did a study recently (granted, this was just one study) that suggested up to 5 drinks/week might be ok. For me (as I think it is with a lot of mamas), it's just not worth the risk to indulge, but if someone else decides that risk of having a little vodka is minimal enough for her to feel comfortable, power to her! 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My midwife told me a drink on a special occasion would be fine, in Europe I guess they say up to four drinks a week is ok!
  • Options

If it's one of the only drinks she has her entire pregnancy it's no big deal.  And if she only had one shot/drink of it.

I personally only feel comfortable having a glass of wine or a beer now and again, but I know that is more than most people feel comfortble doing.  Anyway, I wouldn't judge her if it's not something she does on a regular basis.  You're overreacting to something that is just not a big deal.  One drink will not harm baby.

People are way too pearl-clutchy about moderate alcohol use during pregnancy imo.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.A&J:
    My midwife told me a drink on a special occasion would be fine, in Europe I guess they say up to four drinks a week is ok!

Europe is not a country!  Every area/country is different.  My previous pregnancy was in Spain and my first old-fashioned OB told me a small glass of wine a day was fine throughout pregnancy.  Here in Germany it's apparently as frowned upon as in the US.  So it varies from place to place.

• Options
    I've never asked my OB about his views on alcohol consumption during pregnancy, so I don't know what he would recommend, However, I wouldn't take the chance because I would be forever questioning my decision to drink if something went wrong.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagegsalyer06:
    I've never asked my OB about his views on alcohol consumption during pregnancy, so I don't know what he would recommend, However, I wouldn't take the chance because I would be forever questioning my decision to drink if something went wrong.

Would you forever regret your decision to eat a salad if you got listeria from the lettuce?  We take calculated risks every day and there is a far greater chance of getting listeria from fruits and veggies (not just deli meat) than there is of anything happening to your baby from one drink during pregnancy.

I just don't get this thought process I guess.   I mean, obviously it's easier to stay away from alcohol than fruits and vegetables, but if there is no proven risk to one drink then why is it something that gets such raised eyebrows from people?  Even NHS, though they recommend abstaining, agrees that minimal drinking will not lead to fetal alcohol spectrum disorders or FAS.

I understand that many women choose to abstain from alcohol much like they choose to abstain from caffeine, sushi, and deli meats.  However, I don't think women who choose to indulge every once in a while in a responsible manner deserve the stink eye.  I guess that's my point. 

• Options

imagegsalyer06:

This.  All of the studies on moderate alcohol consumption seemed to be focused on whether it causes FAS.  What about less damage (such as at the cellular level to the liver that may not manifest itself until adulthood)?  Alcohol does pass through the placenta, and, due to the size of the baby, takes much longer to break down in its system - which means it stays in the baby for a longer time.  Even if it is a small percentage that actually gets through to the baby that small percentage is magnified in its effects.  Maybe the damage is minimal, but it is still damage. 

I know Americans are much more prudish about this than other countries but I look at it this way - I would not give my newborn a sip of wine so I am not going to give them a sip when they are inside of me.   

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"