March 2012 Moms

Sweet potatoes :)

Many of us seem to be starting solids, so I thought I'd chip in.  DD is 5 months tomorrow and we started sweet potatoes this weekend.  She has been grabbing our food and trying to stuff it in her mouth- we had to pick egg noodles out of her mouth when DH wasn't fast enough to stop her!  She stares ravenously at everything we put in our mouths.  She's almost sitting up on her own.  Also, the pedi said that reflux gets better when they start solids, so that's a big bonus.  I figured I'd back off if she didn't like it or didn't seem ready, but she opened up for the first bite, and swallowed every bit like a pro! She even would grab my hand and pull the spoon into her mouth. I remember with DD1, her little tongue would push it right back out, but Kelsey didn't do that at all.  I've read about the tongue-thrust reflex, and it seems she's lost it.  I'll give her another day of sweet potatoes and then try green beans or squash.  I'm sure I'll phase in cereal at some point, too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sweet potatoes :)

• She is so cute!  I am looking forward to starting in a couple weeks.  I have been prepping food and freezing it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD thought sweet potatoes were "the bee's knees" until she had carrots. Holy crap, if we didn't give them to her fast enough she would reach for them and start to fuss. 

Solids have also been helpful when she has not been feeling like sucking on the bottle with her ouchie gums.

• Too cute!!  We started E on solids last week ( 4months 3wks); pedi said it was ok.  He was doing the same thing.  We have done brown rice ceral & will try avocado next.  Looks like your LO is LOVIN' the solids :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aww cute! We are holding off another month mostly because we have a lot going on and a couple trips planned. I'm still debating sweet potato vs avocado for her first food.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• So cute!

DD has been on solids since 4.5 months and she has liked most food so far.  She loves sweet potatoes and squash, but she really does not like green beans.  I have to mix them with cereal to get her to eat them.  They don't even taste that bad as they are fairly bland, but they do kind of smell funny so maybe that is it.  I get excited every time I introduce something new :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • awww she is cute! DS loves sweet potatoes and apples!

I do oatmeal cereal for bfast after a bottle (for some reason he really likes the cereal) and then I do fruit or veggies for lunch. So far it has been going great and he is liking everything I give! 

I actually felt bad the other day, because we were out to breakfast and DH was holding DS while he ate, I did not bring any food for DS with me, just a bottle, but every time DH went to put food in his mouth DS thought it was for him and would open his mouth wide! =( I felt like we were teasing him.  He doesn't sit on his own completely yet, and leans forward when he sits, so I can't put him in restaurant high chair just yet, but I know eventually I will have to bring some food or snacks for him to eat while we eat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Oh, she is such a cutie! glad to hear things went well with the sweet potato.  We started LO on avocado last week and she loved it.  Sweet potatoes are next on our list.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So cute!! I'm thinking of starting this week. Hearing about her reaction is getting me excited! DS is very attentive while we're eating and wants to put everything in his mouth. I hope he's as excited about food as your DD!
  • Yummmm!! We will do sweet potatoes this weekend...I love them, and I hope DD will, too!  She is smitten with the homemade applesauce right now...it's so cute!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"