Breastfeeding
Options

Sore nipples after weaning from nipple shield

LO is almost 4 mos, and Tuesday he just stopped using the nipple shield cold turkey.  Occasionally I had offered him the bare nipple before, and Tuesday he just decided it was the right time.  After a few days of nursing without nipple shield, my nipples are very sore.

I'm inclined to think it's not his latch because he is not latching any differently than he had been (as far as I can see), and we had worked with a LC who had seen him nurse several times, and she said his latch was good.

Is this normal?  Will it just take some time for the nipples to get used to it?  Should I have not stopped using the shield cold turkey?  Should I have his latch checked out just to be sure?  Thanks for your advice!    

Re: Sore nipples after weaning from nipple shield

• Options

I weaned from the nipple shield a couple weeks ago. It was definatly painful at first. I had posted about it, and everyone said it's normal. It took me about 7-8 days for my nips to stop hurting. I did cold turkey as well since I hated using it and figured I could deal with the pain on a short term basis. I would wait a little longer before getting your latch checked. I was thinking about doing that, then the pain slowly started going away. So hang in there, I'm sure your pain is just from weaning. :)

If your nips still hurt after a couple weeks, then I think you should have your latch checked.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My baby ditched the nipple shield 2 weeks ago, and it hurt like I was starting to breastfeed for the first time all over again.  I was in pain for about a week.  Lanolin and the Soothies gel pads that you put in the fridge helped, but mostly it just took some time.  I did have an appointment with an LC a few days after DS started nursing without the shield, and she checked the latch for me.

If you are concerned, get the latch checked.  If you wait too long to get it checked and it's a bad latch, you could do some serious damage to your nipples.  I would rather make an appointment and get it checked than deal with trying to heal cracked, bleeding nipples later! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yup I had that trouble too. One of my nipples was super sore. Are you trying to relatched him if it hurts? If it was tender but not sharp pain I waited. But once I was confident she could latch, I made her latch again. 

Yeah soothies and lanolin are great. Plus if you use nursing pads make sure they are dry all the time.

Awesome on ditching the shield! Mine did at 5wks, all by herself!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"