February 2013 Moms
Options

Costco vs Sams Club

Are these warehouse stores even worth it?

I want to try them out but... Don't know if it would even be the smartest idea for a family of 2 and a little on on the way.

What do you guys think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Costco vs Sams Club

• Options
    IMO I like Sams Club better and yes its worth it for us. We have 2 younger boys who are both in sports, so Sams is good for snack days and diapers and wipes for when baby is born. Costco may have more "brand name" stuff I guess but price wise and selection I like Sams better.

**********Matthew 1.8.06 - Connor 7.17.08 - Alexis 2.16.13 ************

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I really love Costco. DH and I had it even when it was just us. Shoot I had Costco when I lived alone. Milk and eggs half the cost of what the grocery store charges. Their Kirkland wipes are my absolute favorite. They sell Huggies and Kirkland brand diapers for cheaper than buying them at any other store. we also save on things like toilet paper and cleaning supplies. They also send coupons for different items each month. I don't know much about Sam's to be honest, its owned by Walmart and I try really hard not to give them any of my money.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh and we did do a cost comparison when DH was looking to cut some costs from our budget and we found with what we buy we were saving about $75 per month so it was very worth the membership fee
  • Options

I'll agree with Costco membership - even with just the two of us, Costco is great for staples and household items. The savings on TP, shampoo, and conditioner alone makes up for the $55 membership fee. Add in stuff that we splurge on (vodka, premade meatballs, etc)- it's a great deal.

Only advise is when it comes to food, don't buy more than you know you can eat (or freeze!) because if most of it goes bad, you're definitely not saving any money there. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are a family of 4 soon to be 5 and we LOVE costco!  We buy most of our stuff there and save so much money.  You can always split the membership fee with someone else.  We were worried about the fee but split it with my parents so totally worth it for our family,  And I have heard great things about their diapers and wipes.
  • Options
    Costco is awesome. DH and I have had it for years, and we use it all the time for milk and eggs, frozen foods, cereal,  cleaning supplies- everything!  We save so much on groceries, even with the $55 annual feel.
  • Options
    I would say buying formula and diapers alone there, helped us.  Unless you plan on exclusively breastfeedng and cloth diapering.
  • Options

We went with Costco over Sam's Club. Our store is an absolute NIGHTMARE to visit (any day, any time). We travel 30 min north to go to another location that is more calm.

It definitely saves us money. We write off the membership fee because DH uses it to buy supplies for work (he works in a firehouse and stocks the kitchen with it). It's very good for things that don't go bad that you use day in and day out. We mainly buy bulk items like laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. there. Once and a while we'll buy snacks/cereal there and it's nice because they last for a long time. I can definitely see it being worthwhile with kids... juice boxes, wipes, diapers, etc. A friend of ours also buys their dog food (Kirkland brand) and their dogs love it, plus it's very highly rated and limited ingredients at about half of what their old dog food cost. 

MIL goes grocery shopping there, which we can't do. Most of their produce will go bad before we can eat it all. It's good to stock your freezer full, however. Also, they always have tons of free samples.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We don't have Costco here, but I grew up with it and miss it. We have sams and use it once every 6 weeks I would say. When I go to my parents house we would go to Costco because their kirkland diapers are pretty darn good same fit at the huggies supreme. It's so worth it and some times your employer will have a discount membership so be sure to ask at the store!
  • Options

We only have a Sam's Club in our area, but I don't shop there, because I don't support Wal-Mart. I use amazon.com (amazon mom membership is free) and I also have a prime membership, so I get free 2 day shipping. I use Earth's Best diapers, and wipes, and I have a subscription so I save an extra 15%.

For groceries and other things, we go to Winco (we have one about an hour away). Fresh fruits and veggies come from the farmer's market or sometimes a bountiful basket.

For cleaning supplies, I make them.  I use hydrogen peroxide or vinegar for almost all of my cleaning needs. 

I also make my own laundry detergent (borax free), and I love it. The recipe and other reviews of detergents are here. https://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/05/homemade-laundry-detergent-charlies-soap-nuts.html 

• Options

Looks like Costco it is. 

You guys helped me narrow that down quickly :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"