Trouble TTC
Options

IUI question

For those who have had IUIs in the past, are Progesterone supplements standard with IUI cycles? 

This will be my second cycle of treatments, but my first IUI cycle.  A couple of weeks ago at my CD10 monitoring appointment, I brought up my concern of short LPs that I had been having (in hopes of a discussion about P4 sups) but the nurse told me that I could just test early.  I'm just wondering if they are a standard procedure with an IUI because I do intend to bring it up again and be a little more pressing about the issue this time if it is brushed under the rug again.  (Also, for the record, I think the nurse that I talked to about the short LPs was just a tech or something, she showed me how to do my inject... that seemed to be the extent of her knowledge.)

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
+#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
+#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: IUI question

• Options

My RE does P4 supps standard with every medicated cycle, IUI or not. I don't have a P4 issue or any sort of LPD, but they do it anyway just to be on the safe side. I started them today, 3 dpIUI, and will continue them through my beta. If you are concerned about your short LPs, I'd definitely push for supps. After all, it can't hurt anything.

Plus, mine was covered 100% by insurance, so it ended up being free to me. 

GL with your IUI!

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
  • Options

They are not standard at my RE.  With my 1st IUI they weren't going to have me do supplements, but when I went for bloodwork 7dpiui my P4 was low so they ended up having me start supplements that day.  I think with your short LP concern you should definitely bring it up again.  It's better to have all the bases covered.  Good luck!

My Blog: The Journey
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    TTC with PCOS since 4/2011
    1500mg Metformin
    4 Clomid cycles (3 cancelled) / 2 Clomid + Follistim + IUI cycles
    10/2012 & 11/2012- Treatment break while waiting for new insurance to become effective.
    IUI #3 in December... or not. Surprise BFP on 12/9/12!
    12/10 Beta #1: 25, 12/13 Beta #2: 122, 12/17 Beta #3: 738
    12/20 1st u/s, 12/27 2nd u/s with a heartbeat!, 1/3 3rd u/s & released from RE

EDD: 8/21/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

My RE does P4 supps standard with every medicated cycle, IUI or not. I don't have a P4 issue or any sort of LPD, but they do it anyway just to be on the safe side. I started them today, 3 dpIUI, and will continue them through my beta. If you are concerned about your short LPs, I'd definitely push for supps. After all, it can't hurt anything.

Plus, mine was covered 100% by insurance, so it ended up being free to me. 

GL with your IUI!

Thanks Lolli!  I am going to push for them if they are not suggested this cycle.  

+#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
  • Options

I was given p4 supps after my first 7dpo test showing low natural cycle progesterone.  But yes, for my RE they said for me to always take them because of my short LPD issue.  

If you have a DX of low P4 then I would insist on them.  Where as if you just have a shortish LP, I'd wait until the 7dpo blood draw to see how you are doing with out them.  And then if it's low, ask for the script from the RE then.   When you say short, how short?  Because mine was sometimes 8-10 days before without supps but with met and supps we've moved it to 12 days on medicated cycles and usually 11-12 days on non-medicated.  

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options

They are not standard at my RE for IUIs and the only reason I know this is because my SIL went to the same RE and didn't get prog supps until IVF.  While they have never detected a progesterone issue for me, they have given them to me every cycle because of my AMA. 

I hate being old :-p

Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

I don't know that they're standard procedure.  I had to ask for it.  If you're concerned, I'd definitely ask for it--or at the least discuss it with your doc.

As far as testing early, assuming you're doing a trigger shot, that's probably not a good idea, since generally speaking it can stick around for 10 days after the shot.  Unless you decide to test out the trigger, which can bring its own stresses.

GL and FX for you! :) 

TTC #1 ♥ since 1/11 
    BFP #1 8/21/11 - EDD 5/1/12 - M/C 9/25/11 ♥ BFP #2 11/17/11 - EDD 8/1/12 - C/P 11/20/11
    DH (37) SA = mediocre  Me (31) Low AMH/DOR, Septate Uterus (repaired via Hysteroscopy)
    IUI 1-3 = 3 BFNs ♥ IVF 11/12 = BFFN :( ♥ IUI 4 + Injects 1/13 = BFN :(IUI 5 + Injects = cancelled due to cyst
    BFP #3 - 3/9/13 ♥ EDD 11/21/13 Break cycle miracle! ♥ Stick baby, stick!!  IT'S A GIRL!
    Caitlyn Emma born 11-6-13, 5lb 7.5oz, 18.5in

♥ Congrats BFPB HuskyMomma94, David arrived 4/26/12!  And #2 due 3/10/14! ♥
    ♥ Luck and love BFPB siple1am!! ♥

image image 
    image image image
    My Chart ♥ My Blog  Magic Love!!  ITFB Love!!
    ♥ Everyone Welcome 
  • Options

Pre-m/c, they were ~11 days, which wasn't that short.  Post-m/c (not including this past cycle) they were 9 and 8 days respectively.  This past cycle it was back to ~11. 

I'm not entirely sure that I will have a 7DPO blood draw with the IUI; it hasn't been brought up yet anyway.  I have had two previous 7DPO blood draws, both pre-m/c, and both came back normal.  Maybe it was just my body normalizing post-m/c.  I will still bring it up again at my appointment, I want to at least have a discussion about it rather than just being told to test early. 

I tested at 13DPT, which was 10DPO according to my chart.  It was neg... but I didn't even think about there being residual hCG from the trigger. 

Blah, this cycle seems to be proving more stressful than any other so far and I am not even really into anything yet.  

• Options
    Mine do progesterone on every medicated cyle...

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I'm not sure if they are standard, but they are standard for me.  I have had 3 IUI's and had them every time.  (I do have Dx of PCOS).
    ~Jen
    4/12: HSG All Clear
    5-1-12: DX of PCOS
    5-4-12: DH S/A all normal.
    5-16-12: Offically start IUI#1-->Clomid(50mg) + Trigger + IUI + progesterone supplements=BFN
    IUI #2-same treatment-->BFN
    July IUI#3-same treatment--->BFN
    Aug 22, 2012-Laparoscopy Found/Removed extensive endometreosis.
    September 2012-IUI #4-Same treatment as before. BFN
    October 2012-forced break/Surgery to remove abnormal cells in left breast.
    November 2012-First Injects Cycle (IUI #5)! 225IU Follistim CD 3-5, then monitoring appointment. 20+ follier & e2 >2000-Mild OHSS
    December 2012-#2 Injects + IUI#6): Beta 1/18/13-BFN!
    Jan 2013-Starting IVF!!! BC starts Jan 17/Lupron on Feb 13/Stims on Feb 18/ER on March 1 IVF Protocol: Lupron 10 units in am until stimms. Then 5 units of Lurpon in am, 150iu of Follistim and 1 unit of Menopur in pm. Holding dosage throughtout since response has been great. Thought we would be freeze all due to OHSS, but ended up getting more follicles then expected! 14 total!!! 12 mature and 11 fertilized. Dr calls for a 5 day transfer!! :) Will freeze remaining.
    With Love & Strength, Hope Grows!
    WHEN, not IF!!!
  • Options
    Yes, they are standard protocol at my office. I don't do supps, but I do hcg shots at 3, 6, and 9 dpiui. The only bummer is I have to wait longer than the average to poas. I have to wait 8 days after my last shot, so that's 17dpiui.
    Patiently waiting for our 1st since 9/2010.
    Dealing with MFI, good count, good motility, 3% morph-HSG all clear, all other test results came back normal, IUI is our next step
    May 2012- Clomid 50mg + IUI = BFN
    June- Cycle Break
    July- Forced cycle break due to cysts
    August- Femara, Trigger, IUI#2= ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"