February 2013 Moms
Options

WWYD?

I have a job interview tomorrow and am 16 weeks pregnant today do I tell them during the interview that I am pregnant or wait and see what happens. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: WWYD?

• Options

Is it a first interview or a second? If it's a first, I would wait.

See if you're offered the job and then say something if/when the job is offered to you (I say this from a friend's experience on what she did).

TTC 1: Off BCP late October 2011. BFP #1 Jan 2, 2012; EDD September 5, 2012; m/c Jan 12, 2012. BFP #2 June 14, 2012; EDD February 22, 2013.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    My super all about me birth story:
    Then: Fraternal twins born at 26 weeks in 1983. Me: 640 grams. Brother: 840 grams. Family kept watch in the NICU for 5 months before being allowed to go home. On oxygen for a year and a half after being released.
    Now: Me: PhD student and married. Brother: Lawyer and married.
    Dad's wedding speech: Thank you to all the family who stood watch and prayed for our children's survival. Well now the little scrawny chicken is married. Who would've thought? (Thanks dad for making me laugh and cry at the same time).
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree, I don't think it's dishonest, it's just kind of moot unless they want you. No reason to give them a reason not to hire you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagephdwyfe2013:

Is it a first interview or a second? If it's a first, I would wait.

See if you're offered the job and then say something if/when the job is offered to you (I say this from a friend's experience on what she did).

All of this.

**********Matthew 1.8.06 - Connor 7.17.08 - Alexis 2.16.13 ************

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Wait until you at least have an offer. It's illegal to discriminate against a pregnant woman when making a hiring decision, but it's really, really hard to prove that the reason you didn't get an offer was because of pregnancy. Once you have an offer, you're still not obligated to tell them, but you may want to discuss maternity benefits with HR before making a final decision.

Just know that some places have waiting periods before you're eligible for matenity leave. I recently accepted my old job back, but since I left, even though it's only been 5 months, I'm no longer eligible for short-term disability, which covers maternity leave. You're also not eligible for FMLA unless you've worked with the company for at least 12 months. My medical coverage will take care of prenatal care and delivery immediately, but I don't get time off unless I can pull it from vacation/sick leave/maybe a leave of absence.

Good luck with the interview!!

• Options
    imageSynth:

Wait until you at least have an offer. It's illegal to discriminate against a pregnant woman when making a hiring decision, but it's really, really hard to prove that the reason you didn't get an offer was because of pregnancy. Once you have an offer, you're still not obligated to tell them, but you may want to discuss maternity benefits with HR before making a final decision.

Just know that some places have waiting periods before you're eligible for matenity leave. I recently accepted my old job back, but since I left, even though it's only been 5 months, I'm no longer eligible for short-term disability, which covers maternity leave. You're also not eligible for FMLA unless you've worked with the company for at least 12 months. My medical coverage will take care of prenatal care and delivery immediately, but I don't get time off unless I can pull it from vacation/sick leave/maybe a leave of absence.

I live in Canada so as long as I have worked 400 hours this year (at all, for multiple people) I will get the 52 weeks of maternity leave.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagehsweetman:
    imageSynth:

I live in Canada so as long as I have worked 400 hours this year (at all, for multiple people) I will get the 52 weeks of maternity leave.

I'm going to try to get transferred to Canada, now. Smile

• Options
    KD79KD79 member

Congratulations on the interview.

Everyone had good advice for you, but I think it really depends on the situation.

When I was pregnant with my first, I had an interview for an HR job, very close to home (I was commuting an hour to work).  I wasn't yet showing, so I obviously didn't have to disclose.  However, during the interview, it was obvious to me that they wouldn't be having a follow up interview (given the type of position), so I mentioned that I was pregnant and asked about the benefits.  I ended up being offered the job, but I declined it because I wouldn't get short-term disability.  Ironically, another job opened about six months later and I took that one.  My son was a few months old by that point.  ;-) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice here, I just wanted to say that I think I'm gonna make the move to canada now. 52 weeks of maternity leave?! That sounds amazing. I thought I was lucky working in the teaching field and getting maternity leave until the end of the school year and then not having to return until the following school year. Now that just feels pathetic.
    CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"