December 2010 Moms

Letters?

Aiden has been interested in letters lately, and just curious if this is typical for this age?

He LOVES Super Why and his new favorite book is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so it makes sense.  He can point out the letter O and is starting to recognize A.  

I think DH and I have been a bit sensitive to typical vs. non typical since he was evaluated by EI.  He qualified for speech and has a slight delay so now I feel like I'm over analyzing everything! 

I'm hoping this is a good thing with the letters??  He's actually picked up a few words just this week, so is making progress.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Letters?

• There was a whole post about this a few days ago...It's titled "Jilly's Challenge: ABC's" I believe.

A can do 18 out of the 26 letters now!  (He can't really say W, X or H or some other harder to pronounce letters) It's surprising to me because he's always been slightly behind verbally from what other kids can do. But I really do think SuperWhy is responsible for it.  I never taught him it.  

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • My poor child is very deprived - we don't have cable, satellite, etc.  So my kids don't get to watch regular TV shows.  They do watch movies.  Now that I've been hearing about SuperWhy so much - I think I'll look for it at the library.

Isaac knows nothing of letters.  It sounds like Aiden is doing pretty good if he is recognizing some letters and has picked up some new words. 

Another great way to learn letters and letter sounds - LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD.  My 2 younger kids learned all their letter sounds within like a week because of this DVD.  Somehow though my 5yo son only recognizes about half to 2/3's of his alphabet even though he knows all the sounds. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks!!

Aiden is doing pretty well, and I'm happy :)  He started to regularly say "bye bye" to people and I'm thrilled.  I think at this point he says - no, yum yum, bye bye, night night, more (another new one!), cracker, car, ball, dada, mama.  There might be one or two that I can't think of.  I'm just so happy at this point to see progress and we are just starting speech therapy, so I am hopeful! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmithpaint:

My poor child is very deprived - we don't have cable, satellite, etc.  So my kids don't get to watch regular TV shows.  They do watch movies.  Now that I've been hearing about SuperWhy so much - I think I'll look for it at the library.

Isaac knows nothing of letters.  It sounds like Aiden isdoing pretty good if he is recognizing some letters and has picked up some new words. 

Another great way to learn letters and letter sounds - LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD.  My 2 younger kids learned all their letter sounds within like a week because of this DVD.  Somehow though my 5yo son only recognizes about half to 2/3's of his alphabet even though he knows all the sounds. 

You can watch SuperWhy online at Sproutonline.com. J loves that show too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • E loves letters lately. We have this magnetic toy that is The letters with a base that will tell you what letter is in it and what sound it makes with this little song. E lives playing with it while we're pursing in the kitchen.
  • No, DS hasn't learned any letters yet. He can say a few names of numbers, but only if he's repeating after me. I don't think he can actually ID them on his own.
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DD started out interested in her letters just like YS.  She loves Super Why and started randomly pointing out letters to me.  DH and started quizzing her with magnets and foam bath letters, then we broke down and got some flash cards before a long trip.  In the end she's learned them all.   ( I posted a video of her earlier this week in this thread: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/68033214.aspx, I know this is major AW, but it is pertinent to your question.  )

If your son is interested and having fun learning letters I say run with it! DD was interested and with some play and and a lot of praise she learned them all.

ETA:  I think at this point in development being able to ID a letter is the equivalent to knowing a word.  Like saying "O" when LO sees an O is the same as seeing a cat and saying "cat."  KWIM?

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"