February 2013 Moms
Options

Teachers: announcing to parents?

I teach a special ed self-contained class.  Most of my students are non-verbal and will not be able to tell their parents that I'm expecting.  I feel like most of my parents will want to be prepared and know about my leave.  All of my students have a really hard time with change and my parents spend a lot of time preparing their kids for it.  Also, my last maternity leave didn't go well, to say the least.  Last time, I announced at the end of the year at conferences before I was really showing, so they had the entire summer to prepare for me being gone.  This time when I go back, I will already be showing, so I feel like maybe I should tell them in my welcome back letter, so they aren't surprised or taken aback.  Is this appropriate?  How would you word it?  I'm just nervous because this is my 2nd maternity leave in 3 years and I still have most of the same kids!  I feel bad doing this to them twice. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Teachers: announcing to parents?

• Options
    I plan on telling parents at back to school night.  This is my second maternity leave in 2 years.  Basically I didn't return from having Hannah in August of 2011 till April 0f 2012 and now I am leaving Feb 2013.  So I have not completed a full year since the 2010-2011 school year.  I think that really it is to be expected and the sooner you tell them the better.  If you don't see them at back to school night then I would definitely either call home individually since you have a self-contained class or put it in the welcome letter.  I am teaching an AP course and am really stressed as well, but I have a very well laid out plan to show the parents.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i dont know about anouncing it in the welcome back letter. Maybe if you will have a parent night or something of that sort. maybe you can anounce it there. I think it is best if you tell them ahead of time. and that way your dear students dont feel an overnight change which must be tough on them. Maybe you can have an assistant teacher that will help through out this time and when you are gone they at least have someone they will recognize and that should ease the transition a bit?

Best of Luck

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I thought about doing at the parent night, but only 1 or 2 parents ever show up since I have their kids for 6 years in a row and most of them know me well.  Luckily, I have 2 aides that will be with them during my leave too, so not everything will be different.  I think I will do it in the welcome back letter since I don't have an opportunity to see all of my parents, and don't feel comfortable calling everyone.  A lot of them don't speak great English either so at least with a letter, I can get it translated. 

Any ideas on wording?  

• Options

"I feel bad doing this to them twice." You are such a teacher! We are experts at feeling guilty for doing normal things.

Maybe toward the end of the letter: "On a personal note, I am very excited to announce that my husband (I'm assuming here and just writing it how I would) and I are expecting our second child in February! I know that change can be daunting to some of my students, so I wanted to give you all advance notice so we can work together to smoothly transition when the baby comes." Something like that?  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagelil fox:

"I feel bad doing this to them twice." You are such a teacher! We are experts at feeling guilty for doing normal things.

Maybe toward the end of the letter: "On a personal note, I am very excited to announce that my husband (I'm assuming here and just writing it how I would) and I are expecting our second child in February! I know that change can be daunting to some of my students, so I wanted to give you all advance notice so we can work together to smoothly transition when the baby comes." Something like that?  

Perfect!  THANK YOU!  And yes, I find myself feeling guilty all the time for dumb things.  "I didn't stay after school until 7:00 today!  I'm such a bad teacher!"

• Options

I was also planning on putting an announcement in my opening day letter.  Typically, I have my entire letter divided up into subcategories (homework policy, disciplinary philosophies and techniques, contact info, etc.,..) My plan was just to have the last category be something like "The Pitter-Patter of Little Feet" and just say something to the effect of;

"Finally, it is with great joy and excitement I announce that my husband and I are expecting our first child in February.  My plan as of now is to be with the kiddos until February 8 (with the understanding that babies sometimes have plans of their own about when they want to arrive). I will then be on maternity leave for the remainder of the school year.  I am confident that the teacher asked to cover my maternity leave will be well-versed in our classroom atmosphere and routines, and I will do my utmost to to ensure the kiddos transition smoothly. Thank you in advance for all your support during this very special time in our lives!" 

I am with you, I was transferred to another elementary school in our district this year, so none of these parents know me at all like they did at my other school.  So I'm sure my leave is going to go over like a lead balloon. On some level I feel bad that these kids will just get to know me and I'm going to have to bounce...but on on the other hand, I'm having my first baby and I'm just too excited to worry about what their parents are going to think! 

• Options
    I was just asking my co-workers about this today. In your situation, I would probably put it in the letter. Even though I will be showing a bit, I am going to keep it out of my welcome letter, and will probably formally address it at the end of September (curriculum night). I really want parents to get to know me and feel comfortable with me before I let them know about a sub.  However, once one knows, they all will. And I will not deny that I am pregnant. I am a little anxious as to how it will go over, but my co-workers assured me that, honestly, this is personal and parents can't (or shouldn't) expect us to put our lives on hold for them. 
  • Options

imagesiempre corre:
    I was just asking my co-workers about this today. In your situation, I would probably put it in the letter. Even though I will be showing a bit, I am going to keep it out of my welcome letter, and will probably formally address it at the end of September (curriculum night). I really want parents to get to know me and feel comfortable with me before I let them know about a sub.  However, once one knows, they all will. And I will not deny that I am pregnant. I am a little anxious as to how it will go over, but my co-workers assured me that, honestly, this is personal and parents can't (or shouldn't) expect us to put our lives on hold for them. 

Yes. I wish I could count on families showing up at open house.  Our district has consistently low parent engagement, though.  

• Options
    I will tell my kids, who will tell their parents (I teach high school English). However, I teach the AP 11 and I will be sending a letter home with them. I am doing this for 2 reasons, the first is because of the AP test in May and my maternity leave will take me right up to the test. I know parents will want answers about how their students will be prepared for the test in May. The second reason is the GT 10 teacher who taught them last year was on maternity leave last year from Feb-May. I am sure there will be parents who are outraged that their students have to have another sub during that same time frame. I am so excited to deal with all of that...
    imageimageimage
  • Options

I think in your situation, the letter sounds like a good idea - just to make everyone aware of the situation. 

I teach 6th grade English and am going to let the parents know at open house. The only thing I'm not tell the kids right away is that I'll be leaving in February for the rest of the year. With middle schoolers, I'll never reel them in that way. I'm thinking of waiting until the holidays to break that piece of news. Does that make sense? 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options

In your case with special ed students who will be very upset at your departure, I'd say something in your beginning of the year letter.  In my case, I didn't tell at all until I announced I'd be on maternity leave soon last time.  I had fourth graders and I didn't even tell them I was pregnant until I was really huge and it was obvious.  Even then, they seemed surprised.  LOL  I won't tell my first graders or their parents this time either until the first child asks about my stomach or I feel like I should tell them I'll on leave soon, which ever comes first.  We have a small school too though with a large PTA.  Usually if one parent finds out, everyone knows by the end of the week, so the grapevine does the telling for you.  In this case, that's kind of convenient. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm a teacher at a private school and am very close to my students. I think I'll walk in and most of them will just know. I know most of the kids and their families so it's a bit different in my case. I am going to walk in on the first day and the kids will just look at me and know. (I teach 6th and 7th grade English.)

I plan to tell the parents at open house night. I truly love my students and kind of hate that I have to leave them with a sub for almost 2.5 months. (I'm going back in mid-April...that's the plan at least.) It's not so much guilt as I truly enjoy spending the day with my kiddos. I'll probably enjoy spending the day with my actual kiddo... I would not suggest a letter, however, since parents will have questions right away. 

• Options

I am a teacher at an alternative/charter high school.  I actually don't plan on telling parents in any special way...this isn't me being mean, but sadly most of our students have very little parent support.  Those parents that do come to parent teacher orientation/or parent teacher night (and I have apprx. 100 students and usually see 10 gaurdians tops) I will of course tell.  My students will know as I am starting to show and as most of them are teenage parents there really isn't a point in keeping it from them. 

I am in the same place as some of you in among the classes I teach I have the juniors that will be taking the ACT and PSAE (Illinois high school test that determines AYP) and will be helping them prepare for those tests.  Understand that I started preparing these kids last year...they went from 5th grade reading levels to 8th grade reading levels.  Now this year I have to take them to 11th grade reading levels at least.  I will be gone the two months before the test and a couple days after.  At this time I am planning on bringing the baby in once a week for study sessions and coming back to monitor their tests before my maternity leave is even over.  It really sucks because I feel guilty leaving the students (our students are very attached to their teachers because they have been let down so many times before) and know they will freak with the sub.

• Options
    I will send a letter the Monday following back to school night. I don't want it to be the focus of back to school. Of course, if parents guess earlier I will have to tell them, and I am looping with half of my kids from last year (I taught a combo) so its possible they will ask.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"