March 2012 Moms

Why is she up so much at night?

I'm usually kind of a lurker here but I'm feeling a little bit at my wits end. It seems like our baby girl turns into the hungriest baby ever come night time. I nurse her around 6pm, give her some cereal and put her down around 730-8pm. At which time I almost always BF her again. She goes down fine puts herself to sleep usually but she's back up by 11 or 12 and lately again at 2 and sometimes 4. I try to just comfort her and put her NUK back in but she always fusses until she can eat. I'm trying to remember that she's only 5 months old and that she'll sleep through the night when she's ready and we are not a fan of 'crying it out'. But I'm seriousley turning into a zombie. Any advice?

Re: Why is she up so much at night?

• Is she eating her fill at each session? Could you try bumping up the amount of the last feeding a little bit to see if it buys her a little more sleep time?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we are EBFers and struggle with the same thing. I do notice that if DS is swaddled really tight and warm he sleeps much better. last night he woke up at 12am and feel back asleep in DH's arms and didnt wake back up until 6am.

Also, late night bath and full tummy = better sleep for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • She's def. eating each time but we only breastfeed at home so I don't necessarily know how much. She acts like she's hungry when she gets up though. I was thinking about maybe doing a bottle for her last feeding at the end of the night to see if that might help her.
  • imageExcited30:
    My dd sttn and is bottle fed, but it's like she naturally wants to fill her belly up to the max at her last bottle feed of the day.  She practically guzzles it down, even if she's eaten at 6:30, by 8pm she wants another full bottle to tide her over the night.  The first night she got sick, she only had half her bottle at 8pm and was up at 11pm wanting another full bottle.  Totally unlike her.  What I'm getting around to saying is, perhaps you are on to something with giving her a bottle for the last feed, or perhaps give her the breast and then top her up with the bottle to see how much more she'll drink.  Perhaps she's getting tired before she gets her fill for the night at that last feed?  Is she sleepy when you put her down?  If so, I would tend to lean towards she's not filling up enough before she tires out.  That's great though that she goes down well for you.  You're getting the bedtime right then.  Way to go on that!

Dd definitely tries to fill up before bed. Her last three bottles of the day are an hour to an hour and half apart where her other bottles are all 3 hrs apart. Maybe more feeding at the end of the day will help. Dd usually only wakes up once to eat and that has been moving closer to wake up time. This morning she woke up at 5 and we get up at 6.

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• This has made me feel so much better, thank you :)

I will definitley try feeding her more (maybe from a bottle) before bed to see if that helps.

• For awhile I pumped and bottle-fed the last feeding of the day.  That's about the time she started to STTN.  I only did it for a few weeks because I got tired of washing the bottle, but she kept STTN after I stopped.  I did it for the same reason- I wanted to get as much in her as possible.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rev, my son used to sttn. However now, he usually wants to eat at 1,3,5 and 7 he is 5,5 months od. He used to sleep 11-4 or 5

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well I fed her a bottle at about 9pm last night. She woke up at about 11 to BF (which I was grateful because I didn't want to pump haha) but then only woke up at 330am again to eat. Hopefully her feeding's will start spacing out a little more. It really just felt good to vent to people who understand.

Loolaide - Love the name Silas, super cute :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"