VBAC

Downward extension of incision & VBAC?

Hi, all!  This is my very first post on The Bump - I've lurked a bit but never really jumped in and joined in on the fun.  I do, however, have a question that I'm hoping someone might have some experience with...

My husband and I are starting to talk about trying for baby #2.  My son was delivered via c-section after 5 hours of pushing with no progress.  I am sincerely hoping for a VBAC next time around, so I requested an operative report from my hospital just to see if there was any info in there that I didn't know or that would indicate that I wouldn't be a good candidate for a VBAC (I remember my doctor talking to me after surgery but I was so out of it that I don't remember everything that he told me, other than there was "no way" the baby was coming out). 

In addition to stating that the baby was occiput posterior (which I never knew), it also states that there was a downward extension of my uterine incision, which from what I'm reading, means that my incision tore downward?  I know that VBAC sometimes isn't possible with certain types of incisions but I can't find any information on this type of incision/scar.  Does anyone have any experience with this or has heard of someone with this type of scar having a successful VBAC?  I have an appointment with my midwife in a few weeks and I'll obviously ask her about it then, but I'm hoping maybe someone can put my mind at ease in the meantime!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Downward extension of incision & VBAC?

• It sounds like your uterus might have torn a little past the point of incision?  Do you have any details of how much?  I have heard of this happening with someone and she went for a consult with an obstetrician and was told there was no extra risk over a regular VBAC.  I'm not certain your case is similar, but I thought this extra info might be helpful.
  • imageq4466w:
    It sounds like your uterus might have torn a little past the point of incision?  Do you have any details of how much?  I have heard of this happening with someone and she went for a consult with an obstetrician and was told there was no extra risk over a regular VBAC.  I'm not certain your case is similar, but I thought this extra info might be helpful.

The OP report doesn't say how much it tore, just that it was to the left of midline and was downward.   Thanks so much for your response though!  I'm glad to hear this has actually happened to someone else and may not interfere with my dreams of a VBAC.

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you MAY have a special scar! Now depending on how much it tore it may not be the case but  will pass on the info just in case because it helped me so much! I have an inverted T. Some doctors will tell you that means no VBAC but there are doctors who will do it. I have a consult with one of them comming up and I feel confident I will get my chance at VBAC. It will be harder to find a provider but don't give up..you can do it! 

The risk of rupture for special scar is 2.9% and you want to avoid getting induced and let things go as naturally as possible, that is the best bet. I would start researching because I have found that I am the one that has to mediate my care and know my facts even more so with things involving my scar because they are not as well known as a low transverse.

My inverted T was cut that way but I know some women have them due to tears.

Look at this and read birth stories from here https://www.specialscars.org/ Mine in on there (I'm Bethy) and I hope to have a VBAC story to add in January when I am due!

Here is our facebook group https://www.facebook.com/specialscars

I wish you tons of luck and you can Paige me if you have any questions. I hope you find out the tear is no big deal but if you do end up having a "special scar" you can do it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• I have an extension and my practice (who is very vbac supportive) suggested I do not vbac with my second. There just wasn't enough research on vbacs and extensions and I think mine was pretty severe...don't remember the length but I tore downward and lost a ton of blood.

Anyway I just had my second section and ended up going into labor before my date. I showed up to the hospital at 8cm (fast labor!) and they brought me into the OR immediately.

I talked to my doc at my 6 week and she said if we had a 3rd she would support me in a vba2c because my insides looked great. It stung a bit to hear I could have attempted a vaginal birth with my second but that was not my path. Good luck!

• Jumping in here....I haven't posted on this board before but I do lurk occasionally because I do want to VBAC when we have #2. After DD was born, my midwife told me that I have 2 extensions on either side of the incision (I believe mine were cut though), but she still thought I was an excellent candidate for VBAC still.

Good Luck!

• imagelovesjm:

Jumping in here....I haven't posted on this board before but I do lurk occasionally because I do want to VBAC when we have #2. After DD was born, my midwife told me that I have 2 extensions on either side of the incision (I believe mine were cut though), but she still thought I was an excellent candidate for VBAC still.

Good Luck!

This is very promising - thank you!  My midwife also remarked that I would be an excellent candidate for a VBAC but I'm not sure if she knew about the extension at that point.  I'll definitely be bringing it up to her at my next appointment.  Thanks again!

• imageEEK22:
    imagelovesjm:

Jumping in here....I haven't posted on this board before but I do lurk occasionally because I do want to VBAC when we have #2. After DD was born, my midwife told me that I have 2 extensions on either side of the incision (I believe mine were cut though), but she still thought I was an excellent candidate for VBAC still.

Good Luck!

This is very promising - thank you!  My midwife also remarked that I would be an excellent candidate for a VBAC but I'm not sure if she knew about the extension at that point.  I'll definitely be bringing it up to her at my next appointment.  Thanks again!

You are welcome....and you'll do great, I'm sure!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"