1st Trimester
Options

First Prenatal Visit

Hey everyone! I'm new here. I just got my BFP last Saturday! I'm nervous, but very excited. I was just wondering, at your first prenatal visit when they take blood to confirm you are pregnant and your hcg levels, do you find out right away or does it take time and the doctor calls you a few days later? Everyone in my family has had children about 10 years ago, so a lot has changed and they don't have too many answers to my questions. 

Thanks in advance to everyone! :-) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First Prenatal Visit

• Options

It depends on the doctor with the hcg levels... sometimes they don't do it at all, especially if you're going to have a dating u/s. They didn't initially take my hcg levels until I requested it after the dating u/s had the doctor believing that the baby stopped growing. (I was just much earlier than they thought) They took my blood regardless, but not for hcg levels.

Hcg levels are usually done once, and then done again 2ish days later and the results are compared to ensure that they are increasing. I had one level drawn, another two days later, and then the next day I received the results from both. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    you will find out probably later that day or the next day. It takes a couple of hours. If you go in the morning, then maybe call in the afternoon and the results should be in by then.
    image   image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor wouldn't see me until 8-10 weeks. Not bloodwork or confirmation of any type beforehand.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your response. I was actually surprised that I was being seen so soon..I hope it makes some of my nerves go away. I kind of hope they do an u/s because I just want to see what it looks like, but then I don't because I know that can make people worry more at times. I just hope everything goes well tomorrow. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My doctor brought me in for an ultrasound, no bloodwork first. They also didn't want to see me until 7-9 weeks (even though I turned out to be 6w1d because they wouldn't listen to me when I promised them I ovulated late and my LMP date wasn't right). GL to you!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

Anymore they do them to get people to shut up and to cover their ass from a lawsuit.

One of the rotating OBs at my practice straight up told me that they will do an early u/s for a patient just so she doesn't go somewhere else that will, and they lose business. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"