February 2013 Moms
Options

Genetic Counseling

My doctors office called me and said that I was RH- but that there was also something wrong with my blood and the woman wasn't sure what it meant so that is all the information I got. She may have mentioned my hemoglobin or something along those lines but as soon as I heard there were problems, my brain shut down! I am going to see a genetic counselor on Wednesday. Does anyone have and idea what this could be about? My head is spinning and all I can think about are the worst case scenarios! HELP!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Genetic Counseling

• Options

The Rh factor isn't a concern. It just means you have a negative blood type, and they'll give you a shot of rhogam late in pregnancy and at the hospital when the baby comes (always if you have a positive blood baby, but usually regardless of baby's blood type, just to be safe).  

Did she say anything about your iron levels, or just the hemoglobin? Did she say whether it was high or low? 

Hemoglobin is what carries oxygen in your blood, and low counts are usually associated with one of many types of anemia. They can be associated with less common problems, but the anemia factor is the most common. High hemoglobin counts are much less common, and will probably require a lot more testing to see if there is a problem. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options

I had an idiot from my ob's office call and leave a message to call her back about my blood results from the carrier testing (I forget the actual name of the test).  After playing phone tag and finally speaking with someone else authorizing the idiot to leave me a message with the results all she said was "You're a carrier and your husband needs to be tested" WTF??!!!??? I go in for my 12 week visit on Monday and I will talk to my dr who knows what the hell she is talking about.

I know it won't stop you from worrying but since the woman seemed to be a dumba$$, there may not be a problem and she may have just chosen the wrong words.  Happy thoughts coming your way and good luck next week!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenjgal26:

I had an idiot from my ob's office call and leave a message to call her back about my blood results from the carrier testing (I forget the actual name of the test).  After playing phone tag and finally speaking with someone else authorizing the idiot to leave me a message with the results all she said was "You're a carrier and your husband needs to be tested" WTF??!!!??? I go in for my 12 week visit on Monday and I will talk to my dr who knows what the hell she is talking about.

You took the Cystic Fibrosis test.  If you and your husband are carriers, your child has a 25% chance of having CF.  that is why they want to test your DH.  

• Options
    imageJustinlove:
    imagenjgal26:

You took the Cystic Fibrosis test.  If you and your husband are carriers, your child has a 25% chance of having CF.  that is why they want to test your DH.  

Luckily I was already tested to see if I was a carrier for cystic fibrosis and few other things and they were all negative.  This test I had was for a bunch of other diseases and conditions that the doctor's office doesn't always do unless requested by the patient so that is why I am scatching my head as to which I happen to be a carrier.  Oh well I'll find out Monday

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

In the past year, they have started making a more generic genetic panel more available. It screens you for more than 100 genetic recessive disorders. If you are a carrier of any of them the next step is to find out if your husband is a carrier of whatever disease you are a carrier for. My genetic counselor told me that about 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 people who are screened find something.

I just went through it and found out i was a carrier for a disease called SLO syndrome. Now we are waiting for my husbands results. If he is also a carrier then our baby will have a 25% chance of having the disease. However, the chances of him being a carrier is 1 in 100.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"