1st Trimester
Options

Going to a Massage Therapist in 1st Tri...

I am only 10 weeks so I don't need a special table and I still sleep on my stomach so I can lie on my stomach. I was wondering do I still need to go to a special MT or should I just inform my regular one that I am pregnant before she starts?

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Going to a Massage Therapist in 1st Tri...

• Options
    I've worked in the spa industry for years, and to my knowledge it is important to have someone who is specializes in prenatal massage. Not all MT learn that, they have to do special training for it. You don't want her to push a certain pressure point that can cause problems.
    Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I did massage during my first pregnancy. It was glorious and I could go for one right now! :) 

Depending on where you are going, they might make you do the session on your side.  Even though you are sleeping on your stomach still and you would prefer to be face down, they might make you go on your side for liability reasons.  If you don't want to deal with that, don't tell them yet.  Once you hit 2nd tri they will absolutely insist on you being on your side.  Its nice, but not as great as the face down massage.  I only did massage early in my pregnancy so I'm sure the side one would have been nice when I was a big giant pregnant lady, but being that I wasn't even in maternity clothes yet and they were making me lay on my side with all these pillows around to prop up my "belly" (i didn't have one yet!), it just made it really awkward. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a massage therapist, and I'd like to start by saying thank you for calling them a "massage therapist" instead of masseuse.  It really makes my day :) 

Second, it sounds like you have a regular therapist already, so I'd ask him/her if they perform prenatal massage or if they can refer you to someone that does.  I am trained in prenatal massage and if you were to come in, and tell me that you are okay laying on your stomach, I would allow you to lay on your stomach until it isn't comfortable anymore.  Or as you start getting a bigger bump, I'd use a prenatal bolster that has a cut out for your belly so you could still lay on your stomach.  Every therapist is different, but you do need to let them know you are pregnant.  Enjoy your massage!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I get massages throughout pregnancy and at this point, I still lay on my stomach.  I think last time, I stopped getting massaged while on my stomach at around 18 week or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagesteph620:
    I've worked in the spa industry for years, and to my knowledge it is important to have someone who is specializes in prenatal massage. Not all MT learn that, they have to do special training for it. You don't want her to push a certain pressure point that can cause problems.

This.  Most places do not offer 1st tri massage because they do not have someone certified in it.  It has more to do with pressure points than whether or not you are laying on your stomach.  It would not be worth the risk to me.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I went to my RMT today! It was glorious! I intend on going once a month until the end, I did last time.  My RMT is trained in prenatal and infant massage and is a registered doula. I love her, but I really wish she was still a practicing doula so I could use her for my birth :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"