1st Trimester
Options

Down Syndrome testing

Re: Down Syndrome testing

• Options
    It's not a test for DS. It's for chromosomal abnormalities. It's a blood test and an u/s.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options

You can have an NT scan done at 12-14 weeks.  There are certain markers combined with bloodwork that they will look for to indicate the risk for chromosomal abnormalities.  If it's determined you have a high risk, you can elect to do an aminiocentisis.  That's the only way to know before birth that a baby definitely has DS.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCiconrad:

You can have an NT scan done at 12-14 weeks.  There are certain markers combined with bloodwork that they will look for to indicate the risk for chromosomal abnormalities.  If it's determined you have a high risk, you can elect to do an aminiocentisis.  That's the only way to know before birth that a baby definitely has DS.

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There are several options depending on your age and other risk factors. All of them are optional. Here is a helpful link:

Genetic Testing

DrMSG www.MedTwice.com
  • Options
    It's not just for DS, please educate yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageFlashMeyer:

OP- My Dr. stated the test is for Downs Syndrome.  I do suppose that in the process they will test for others abnormalities but the main purpose is for Downs.  It is only 85% accurate and can have false positives.  Once you get the information it is just an FYI

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCiconrad:

This. 

I had it done with DD. It gave us great peace of mind, I recommend it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagestove-stamp:

imageFlashMeyer:

OP- My Dr. stated the test is for Downs Syndrome.  I do suppose that in the process they will test for others abnormalities but the main purpose is for Downs.  It is only 85% accurate and can have false positives.  Once you get the information it is just an FYI

Actually, it is to measure the nuchal fold....so it is just as much for the other 2 primary trisomies as it is for T21 (as well as a few other genetic disorders that an abnormal measurement could indicate).  Your doctor probably just said that to make it sound simpler for you.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

Most doctors do a blood test and an ultrasound. It tests for 3 trisomies. I think doctors say, "Down syndrome" test because they figure everyone knows what Downs is and they'd rather not freak people out with the less common but much more serious other trisomies.

My doctor calls it the Downs test, too, and it annoys me, because I got it out of fear of the other two which are much scarier.

• Options
    imageL&R70707:
    imagestove-stamp:

imageFlashMeyer:

Actually, it is to measure the nuchal fold....so it is just as much for the other 2 primary trisomies as it is for T21 (as well as a few other genetic disorders that an abnormal measurement could indicate).  Your doctor probably just said that to make it sound simpler for you.

This.  My NT measurements were actually great, but there were odd things that came back in the blood work.  It pointed to another problem, and THANK GOD I did that testing and am now able to mentally prepare.  The scan tests for certain factors, but those factors can point to many different problems and can help you determine whether to do additional testing.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Options

As PP said, starts with NT screening between 11-14 weeks. You can then do 2nd tri screening which is another u/s and additional bt.  You can do the more invasive CVS or amnio (slight risk of miscarriage) but they will give you 100% accuracy on whether your LO has any chromosonal abnormalities. 

My NT u/s was perfect.  The bt showed elevated HCG with a normal papp-a, so, combined with my age, it put my risk for downs at 1:155.  We opted to do the Harmony bt which has a 99% accuracy rate. Still waiting on the results.

As a note, my doctor new that whatever we discovered would not change how we approached this pregnancy. Some doctors will say do not test if you plan on doing nothing. My doctor (and DH and I) wanted the tests done so we would be prepared in case the child is special needs or if the delivery would require a special team.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"