February 2013 Moms
Options

For the love of Stokke!

One of my DH's friends just introduced him to Stokke. Apparently, the friend got a Stokke stroller as a baby shower gift and decided to rave to DH about how it is the best stroller ever and that we absolutely have to get it. I agree that it looks awesome but it's $1200. For the stroller. Only. No carseat, that would be another few hundred dollars. Makes me feel better about my pick of the Britax B-Agile.

He also wants the Stokke tripp trapp. I'm just not feeling it.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: For the love of Stokke!

• Options
    Honestly, I feel like a stroller in general was kind of a waste, at least for us...we had a Maclaren which were were told was 'essential,' but once we discovered the Ergo, we never used it again - it was so much easier getting on and off public transit without it, and we didn't have a car then.  We're not bothering with a stroller for this one, but we will need a new car seat and Ergo, as we got rid of those long ago.
  • Options
    I'd not get the stroller, you can get much more for your buck with other strollers. We have the trip trap and like it but we do BLW and it's not the easiest to clean. I'd get an ikea high chair if I did it again and then a trip trap for a birthday present when they are cleaner as they are great to use as they get older.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just have a Graco that was part of the travel system and it's done great as a cheaper stroller. I really don't see why someone would need something so fancy just to go to the mall.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Labor Buddy to chulita425!
  • Options

imageMouseInLux:
    I'd not get the stroller, you can get much more for your buck with other strollers. We have the trip trap and like it but we do BLW and it's not the easiest to clean. I'd get an ikea high chair if I did it again and then a trip trap for a birthday present when they are cleaner as they are great to use as they get older.

That was my concern looking at it. I do like the idea of the tripp trapp for an older child (I had something like it when I was around 4 and loved it!) We looked at the ikea high chair last weekend and DH was worried about the placement of the screws in it.

• Options

The stokke stroller is cool, but overpriced. But I have stokke tripp trapps for both of my girls and they're still using them! They work for babies (I didn't miss the tray, although I understand you can get one now, it wasn't available nearly 5 years ago when I bought my first) and are great for toddlers - school age! Our dining chairs are kind of wobble (they're cheap Ikea chairs I bought for my first apartment figuring I'd replace later, then life happened) so I like having sturdy chairs for the kids. And when we have company we bump the kids to a little table and have two extra chairs for the adults and they're fairly comfy to sit on actually! They grow with the kid and are made to fit a 300 lb adult, so you're not getting plastic crap that will sit in your basement.

And unlike the cloth covered high chairs, the stokke one is soooo easy to clean!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedesertlady86:
    We just have a Graco that was part of the travel system and it's done great as a cheaper stroller. I really don't see why someone would need something so fancy just to go to the mall.

Many people use strollers for so much more than that! I was living in Manhattan until June and with two kids in a major city a great stroller was a must! At first I wore my kids in wraps and slings, but they're tall kids and I'm a short mom, so we outgrew my being able to comfortably wear them pretty quickly (my not yet 5 year old is almost up to my shoulders!), long before they could walk far or be trusted on a subway platform. I also use my stroller to exercise several times a week. My $400 jogging stroller has allowed me to work out for the past 4 years, so way cheaper than a gym! If you're using a stroller for just walking the mall then you're right, a cheap graco is perfect, but for some people the stroller is a lot more, in which case an expensive stroller actually does make a lot of sense.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you're going to use the stroller all the time, then maybe it's worth an investment.  Personally, I NEVER use our stroller so a $10 umbrella works for the 20 or 30 mins a month we might need it.  

I DID buy a Tripp Trapp, (used on craigslist) and I LOVE it.  I haven't found that it's hard to clean at all.  And we did BLW.  DS now climbs up on it himself and sits in it very well.  He enjoys eating at the table with us, and has always done so.  Personally, I want another one for #2.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We plan on using our stroller quite a lot (daily) so we are in research mode now.  I plan on returning to jogging after the LO is born but, so far, DH is always home and in bed when I jog so I think I will be able to avoid a jogging stroller (DH had one with SS and hated it).

• Options

imageDC2London:
    Wow, and I felt guilty about my $300 City Mini (best $300 I ever spent, btw).  I can not imagine what could possibly make a stroller worth $1200.  Are the wheels spun gold?

Seriously made me laugh out loud! Thank you! I'll check out the City Mini.

• Options

imageDC2London:
    Wow, and I felt guilty about my $300 City Mini (best $300 I ever spent, btw).  I can not imagine what could possibly make a stroller worth $1200.  Are the wheels spun gold?

Seriously.  We got a nice $100 one. :)  Do you live in the city where you will be walking everywhere you go?  Or do you jog?  If not, the stroller is not the most useful baby item.  Mine mostly takes up all the space in my car's trunk and is used for trips to the mall and zoo and occasional walks.  I used a moby carrier for the first five months of the kid's life instead of the stroller too.  The cheap ones work just as well.  Save your money for diapers!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemjr12:

If you're going to use the stroller all the time, then maybe it's worth an investment.  Personally, I NEVER use our stroller so a $10 umbrella works for the 20 or 30 mins a month we might need it.  

I DID buy a Tripp Trapp, (used on craigslist) and I LOVE it.  I haven't found that it's hard to clean at all.  And we did BLW.  DS now climbs up on it himself and sits in it very well.  He enjoys eating at the table with us, and has always done so.  Personally, I want another one for #2.   

It's the area around the parts whee the harness attach that are the worst. If you don't use them it's not too bad but DD is still a mess and our high chair is never clean!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    My son will ride in the stroller for a solid ten minutes before he requests to get out and be carried or walk (by that I mean, "screams his head off"). I also don't love putting it in my trunk, nor setting it up, nor airing up the tires. All that is to say that we bought a cheap stroller and decided if we used it all the time, we'd upgrade. Obviously we haven't upgraded...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"