February 2013 Moms
Options

How did my dates get off?

I just left my doctor's office and I am completely perplexed.  I thought that I was about 11 weeks (LMP 5/18, EDD 2/22).  I saw a different doctor today, and during the exam she said that I was 13 weeks.  I thought it was wrong, but thought maybe my calculations were off.  This is #2 for us, so time seems to be flying anyway.  She never made any mention about correcting my due date or measuring ahead. 

She scheduled me for an anatomy scan 5 weeks from now on 9/12, which I think is too early.  Per my calculations, I will only be 16 weeks.  Per her calculations, I will be 18 weeks.  I even went back in to double check and the nurse said that it is fine.  I was expecting a 20 week ultrasound, as was the case last time around.

I guess that I should just go with her calculations, but if she is incorrect, does anyone think that a 16 week anatomy scan would be beneficial?  I'm just confused as to why our numbers arent maching up!  I just get nervous when I see a different doctor every time, who may or may not be familiar with my case.  Any thoughts?

Re: How did my dates get off?

• Options
    Other ladies may be able to put more information on this, but in my experience if its too early to do a/s then they'll have you come back.  So you may get an extra chance to see baby out of the deal? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good point!  I didn't think of that added bonus!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDC2London:
    I was told the anatomy scan can be anywhere from 16-20 weeks.  Hopefully it will still be fine!
    Same here ...
    Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When the doctor said you were measuring 2 weeks further along than you had thought, was that based on measuring your uterus or an U/S?

My doctor measured my uterus at my first appointment and thought I was about 10 weeks along. I then went in for an ultrasound 2 days later and I was actually only 6 weeks along. Turns out my uterus is just measuring larger... probably because this is the second pregnancy in a relatively close amount of time.

I *think* that a 16 week U/S should be far enough along for the anatomy scan if you are actually only 16 weeks. If it isn't far enough, they will reschedule you! :)

Very exciting to have your anatomy scan scheduled!! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageTeacher Clark:
    I had mine at 16 weeks with DD. 

I had one at 16 weeks with my last pg, but I was scheduled to come back a month later for another scan, since not everything is visible at 16 weeks.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Something somewhat similar happened to me. At my last appointment, I saw a different doctor and she thought I was 14 weeks when I was 12. I talked to the nurse and it turned out the doctor was basing things on my last period, but did not see the more accurate dating information from my first ultrasound. (My cycle was wonky and not a reliable predictor). 

• Options
    imageamywalt1684:

When the doctor said you were measuring 2 weeks further along than you had thought, was that based on measuring your uterus or an U/S?

My doctor measured my uterus at my first appointment and thought I was about 10 weeks along. I then went in for an ultrasound 2 days later and I was actually only 6 weeks along. Turns out my uterus is just measuring larger... probably because this is the second pregnancy in a relatively close amount of time.

I *think* that a 16 week U/S should be far enough along for the anatomy scan if you are actually only 16 weeks. If it isn't far enough, they will reschedule you! :)

Very exciting to have your anatomy scan scheduled!! :)

See,this is the weird part...there is no new information that would suggest that I am farther along than what my LMP would suggest. So far there have been no measurements taken. I did have an iniital ultrasound at 7 weeks, but it was dated (I thought) along the lines of my LMP.

I'm just wondering if maybe this doctor mis-read my file. I mean, she saw me for probably 5 minutes and did a quick ultrasound in that time as well.  I'm certainly in no hurry to get the ultrasound done early, I just dont want to end up paying for 2 based on their mistake. 

Maybe I am overthinking it. 

• Options
    I would call and ask why the two week jump.  You can also ask them to push back the a/s back by two weeks.  By your measurement, you would be 18w (when my doctor does the a/s) and by theirs you would be 20.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I had a similar thing happen w/the ultrasound during my CVS - by my LMP, I should have been 11 weeks, but they said that everything measured closer to 12.5, and they knocked 10 days off the due date as a result.

However, I'm still taking that with a grain of salt; while scans to determine due date are more accurate early on than they are later, I know that growth rates can vary at different points in the pregnancy. Also, my son was overdue, so I'm not counting on this one being early - though something closer (though, hopefully, not any earlier) to the new date than the old one would be just fine by me, since then I could have a non-pregnant birthday for me! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"