1st Trimester
Options

Parents "Unimpressed" With Pregnancy

My husband and I told our parents about our pregnancy, and while his family was incredibly happy mine were very "unimpressed". My husband and I were married last August. We live in a large 3 bedroom apartment a few provinces over, and have our own jobs. I have a job that allows me to work while I finish my degree at the university here in the city. I will be entering my final year in September, but now will be unable to complete this year as our due date is smack dab in the middle of my last semester. This puts my education (which I pay for myself, and do not have student loans for) off for at least a year.

While I am not terribly surprised by their reaction (my mother has always stated that we shouldn't think of children until I am in my 30's) I am very hurt.

I'm guessing others have been through this, but we just don't understand. We are self-sufficient, and do not rely on our families for anything. We have lived together for almost 4 years, and dated for 5 before we were married. I honestly don't know what to make of it. My parents have made what should be the most happy time of our life, and stained it with their discontent.

Any advice on how to handle this? Do they just need time? Please tell me it gets better. 

Re: Parents "Unimpressed" With Pregnancy

• Options
    so sorry your experiencing this! hopefully some time will make it better, once the LO is born Im sure your parents will be thrilled. 
    imageimagephoto proudEPer2.gif
          BFP #1: 7/18/12, M/C 8/6/12 @6weeks  Missing our April Angel
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                                           Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It will get better. My BFF's brother got his GF pregnant. They are both late 20s but neither has been able to keep a stable job and his family REALLY hates the GF. Despite all this, the family is very happy with their grandchild. It may have taken them the whole 9 months and then seeing the child to realize it really is a blessing. I hope your family comes around soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just told my parents yesterday, they also had a less than excited response. I think they will be more excited once they see the baby.
  • Options
    My parents had a very similar reaction to DS. I had just finished law school and they expected me to practice for a few years first. But it was a 100% turn around once he was born. They love DS and are so happy he's around
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options

They're just worried about you.  I am sure they expected you to finish your degree first, and now have a fear that you'll never complete it. 

I'm sure they'll be thrilled when LO gets here, and are just looking out for you.  Make sure you finish that last semester!  It will be worth it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are telling H's parents today, and I am expecting this reaction. We are self sufficent, both have graduated, married and have been together for 8 years. We are 27 and 29, so not young. They just want us to be more financially stable (i'm guessing) but once they get used to the idea I'm sure they will be fine...like your parents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Options

So sorry they reacted like that  --

I agree with what everyone else said about time improving things.  Just want to add that apparently some people, parents included, just have really inappropriate reactions to others' happy pregnancy news (my mom said "but you're so old!" to me (35)...), but to be in a place in your life that you are already so self-sufficient and financially stable is awesome, so congratulations on that as well as the pregnancy!! 

• Options

My dad reacted similar to this-when I told him I was pregnant he asked if I wanted him to pay for my abortion. I didn't understand because my stepbrother lives at home, has no job, doesn't clean or even take care of his 3 kids, but my dad and stepmom have been thrilled everytime they found out he was gonna have a child. Oh, and all 3 kids have different moms who have all left and left him with the kids. The kids are 5 yrs, 4 yrs, and 2 yrs old.

My dad needed time and has finally started coming around. I found this out because I asked him where he got the rocking chair my mom had when I was a baby (since I could talk it has been "my" rocking chair) and in me asking he volunteered to buy me one just like it "or build it" himself. I was speechless but thrilled that he was coming around.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry you guys have gotten such horrible reactions!  I don't have much grace for horrible parents (being raised by an abusive mother has left me quite jaded).  I hope that your parents all come to their senses and APOLOGIZE for their terrible behavior.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My husbands parents are very excited, and I know my parents just want what is best, but when moments like these come along I think it's terrible that the first thing that I will about telling them is their reaction. 

Thank you ladies, for all of your support.

• Options
    My dad with our first (after we told him) said "this is a good thing?" Yes Dad it is! "Oh Ok" he said. Now my DS is his best buddy in the whole wide world, they are inseparable! Have hope and give them time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

When I told my parents about DS, they said "Well what does that mean?" They were very focal about their objections to the baby up until he was born. My mom even said I shouldn't call her when we went to the hospital, that they would come once the baby was born. When they saw him, it was love at first site. They held him, kissed him and have loved him every minute since.

I think about it like this: If I had a daughter who came to me in a similar situation, what would be my first reaction (especially if I was surprised)? I know I would be shocked, but happy. They will get to the happy part.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"