Trouble TTC
Options

What's making my head explode today: Maeve Binchy article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/9446816/If-Maeve-Binchy-had-been-a-mother-....html

IIRC, Maeve Binchy suffered from infertility.

This article is insulting on so many levels. Subtitle: "Does a female novelist need to have experienced motherhood to truly understand human emotions?" 

Age 37
TTC Since August 2010
Husband SA Feb. 2011 normal
HSG Feb. 2011, clear
Clomid April, May & June 2011, unmonitored
First visit to RE July 2011
Sonohystogram Aug 2011 normal
Sept 2011 AMH test in normal range
Sept 2011 Clomid cycle, monitored + TI = BFN
Oct 2011 Clomid + IUI = BFN
Long break -- tried on our own
IVF #1 June/July 2012 = 4 retrieved, 2 fertilized and transferred, BFP, chemical
IVF #2 Sept/Oct 2012 = cancelled due to poor response to EPP with Follistim (300), Menopur (150), and Lupron (10) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What's making my head explode today: Maeve Binchy article

• Options
    Indifferent
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    I did find it interesting that some great female writers in history were childless but yeah that author can bite me.  I loved Maeve Binchy.  Not everything has to be about kids FFS.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What a ridiculous article.  Maeve Binchy has long been one of my favorite authors, and I think she captures human emotion (including the emotion of mothers) just fine.

I have never heard of the woman who wrote this article, but she seems to use having kids as an excuse for not being more productive herself -- in essence, saying that if only she didn't have kids, she would have time to get her novel finished, and it would be a great novel because she has kids. 

Whatever...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, insulting is definitely the word I would use to describe this article. It's really sad that there are people out there who really view women who haven't had children as less of a woman than those with children.
    TTC from May 2011 to Jan 2013. Due 9/11/13
  • Options

I agree -- SO insulting. Her books are wonderful, and she was open about how sad she was not to have been able to have kids. 

I also agree that the author of the article definitely has issues! 

Age 37
    TTC Since August 2010
    Husband SA Feb. 2011 normal
    HSG Feb. 2011, clear
    Clomid April, May & June 2011, unmonitored
    First visit to RE July 2011
    Sonohystogram Aug 2011 normal
    Sept 2011 AMH test in normal range
    Sept 2011 Clomid cycle, monitored + TI = BFN
    Oct 2011 Clomid + IUI = BFN
    Long break -- tried on our own
    IVF #1 June/July 2012 = 4 retrieved, 2 fertilized and transferred, BFP, chemical
    IVF #2 Sept/Oct 2012 = cancelled due to poor response to EPP with Follistim (300), Menopur (150), and Lupron (10) Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I like the "childless woman being for all practical purposes the same as a man" statement. Not a "childless man," just a man. B/c men are not affected by their children, I guess? Or were they capable of feeling all those layers of understanding before kids? Because, you know, they are MEN. 

The author seems like she is trying REALLY hard to sound deep, philosophical, and--above all--writerly.

Pah. You want to argue that mothers write more about children than non-mothers, fine, but to imply one understands deeper levels of emotion than the other? Absurd. 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options

That article is appalling! What kind of person has the gall to criticize a deceased brilliant author on the one part of her life that was a documented hardship for her!!

She couldn't understand human emotions... Ha! SMH We all know the painful sting of IF and all the emotions that go along with it. The writer of the article doesn't think that Binchy could have turned those emotions around and put them towards her novels? What kind of crap is this?!? Angry

*head explodes*

My Constantly Confusing Chart: My Ovulation Chart TTC#1 since 6/2011 DX IR 7/2011, started on Metformin IF testing with RE 6/2012 DX lowish TSH, Lowish AMH, and uterine polyp 7/2012 Uterine Polyp removal 8/2012 Started Synthroid and increased Vit D 7/2012 9/12 - IUI#1+Femara+Bravelle+Ovidrel=BFN 11-12/ Femara+ TI = BFN 12-12/Femara+ 75 Menopur = BFFN 1-13/ Femara+ 150 Menopur+ IUI# 2 = BFP! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"