1st Trimester
Options

A legit progesterone suppository question

I just picked up my suppostories tonight - they are the compounded progesterone types (not sure if that info matters).

Anyway, I've never used these before. My question is, and sorry if this sounds weird, how far up there do I put them? Do I try to get them as close to the cervix as possible, or do I just need to generally get them in there? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm very clueless.  

ETA: Also, are there any side effects I should know about?

I think the pharmacist may have been as uncomfortable as I was during the suppository-money exchange. He wasn't offering much info and I wasn't offering much by way of questions. 

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: A legit progesterone suppository question

• Options

You don't need to push them that far up. Just be aware that if you do hit your cervix, you'll likely cramp more than if you don't. Cramping can be totally normal with prog suppositories.

ETA: my pharmacist was similar. He gave them to me and was like, "uh, here you go. If you have questions you should call your dr." He seemed so embarrassed and didn't even ask if I knew how to use them, just told me to read the pamphlet.

• Options
    Press it like a tampon till you can't get it any further...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure about compounded ones...I took Endometrin, which was this giant white horse pill thing.  Mine came with their own applicaters, but I've heard people use pre-seed applicators too (I'd imagine any unused applicator for any vaginal med would work), but yes, the father up you can get it the better and the slower it will all leak back out (the meds should absorb, the rest leaks out).   Dizziness was my biggest side effect.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

Thanks ladies! I just have to use one each night before bed, so I'm hoping that helps with the leakage factor.

Good to know about cramping. Since I'm already paranoid about this pregnancy, I probably would have immediately thought m/c again at the first hint of cramping!  

Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

• Options
    I use pre-seed applicators, which I sterilize after each use.  Works like a charm!
    Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
    Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
    BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
    Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
    BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015
  • Options

I have the compounded progesterone suppositories as well. The pharmacist said to get them up as far as I can get them and to lay down (since I have them twice a day, ugh) for about 20 minutes after I insert them  (I've noticed that makes no difference in leakage though). Be prepared you may need a liner... it's messy.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options

Pick up some pads/liners.. the compounded one get a bit leaky. 

Just shove as far as you can without hurting yourself, it will get to where it needs to be.  I have short fingers, so my husband would put them in for me.  

Thanks. Definitely picking up panty liners today. Last night wasn't bad, but I kept feeling like it was leaking out every time I moved in bed. But by this morning, all was good. Thankfully I only have to take them at night.

Moving on to IUI or IVF.

• Options

Thanks for the info aboout the cramping - I had no idea and I have noticed that some days my cramping is worse than others, I wonder if it is from my suppositories.

I just put them up there with my finger.  I tried with the pre-seed applicator and it just didn't work for me.  But mine didn't come with an applicator or anything.

FYI, I'm on 200 mg, 2 X / day (one at night, one in the morning).  and yes, messy.  Icky.  BUT, it cleared up my spotting in 48 hours, so I am not complaining!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"