July 2012 Moms
Options

Dry Breasts?? (Freaking out)

Long story short, I stopped pumping because I was oversupplying (engorged breasts, choking baby, lactose overload, etc.) and I was just going off her demand. Well she has been fussy at the breast so I pumped today to check my supply and literally only got drops. I pumped again later, to double check, again only drops. I'm FREAKING out. Can I get my milk supply back? I'm starting to pump again of course, but will it come back based on more demand? Ahhhh this is so difficult!!!
imageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Dry Breasts?? (Freaking out)

• Options
    Can you hear your DD swallow when she nurses? Is she having enough wet and dirty diapers? Is she gaining weight? If you are pumping after LO has nursed then you might not be getting much because typically baby is far more effective than pumping. Can your Pedi refer you to an LC or support group?
  • Options
    I can usually hear her swallow but not as much lately. She is having wet/dirty diapers and as of her last appt she was gaining weight but we haven't had another appt since this has started. Good point about the pumping after nursing, that did just occur. I will look into a LC, thank you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been dealing with a fierce oversupply and even though it has improved a lot and DD gets plenty of milk still the sound of her swallowing isn't the super loud gulping she used to make. She may be going through a growth spurt / gassy / overly tired and that is why she seems less satisfied / fussy. You can also ask your Pedi's office to let you come in to weigh her for reassurance and do a pre and post breastfeeding weight as a guess to how much she takes from nursing. The pre / post weight is not a perfect system, sometimes baby's take a small amount and others more but it can give you a guess. Definitely ask to see a LC, it never hurts to have more reassurance and support. You are doing a good job, try not to panic.
  • Options
    You probably already know this but PCOS can sometimes interfere with breastfeeding, it may help you get the referral for the LC. 
  • Options

imageJcrab:
    You probably already know this but PCOS can sometimes interfere with breastfeeding, it may help you get the referral for the LC. 

Really?? I didn't know this... thank you!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"