3rd Trimester

Am I horrible for wanting baby to come early?

I'll be 36 weeks on Thursday, so it's really best if she/he doesn't come for at least a week and a half more.. But I just want to have my baby in my arms already!!! There are rarely problems with babies born at 36 weeks, so I feel like it wouldn't be so bad if it happened now.

I keep hoping that these BH contractions are going to turn into the real thing. Knowing my luck, I'll probably be pregnant still at 42 weeks!! LOL

I can't bare the thought of possibly being pregnant for another 6 weeks... but I definitely wouldn't want to be induced either. Guess I have to just suck it up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I horrible for wanting baby to come early?

• erjarverjarv member

First off, I'm going to be totally honest. I didn't even read most of your post and am replying pretty much just based off of the subject line.

Abso-freaking-lutely not. Or at least I hope not, because I want this baby out NOW. And I'm not going to lie, I want to meet him, and I can't wait to hold him and see him and love on him but the biggest reason is... I am really freakin' uncomfortable and I really just want him out so my body can go back to normal and I don't feel uncomfortable no matter what position I'm in.  

So no, I don't think you're horrible at all! I think it's normal :] 

photo be95277b-fa62-41de-9ba4-be458fb2faa1.jpg
  • There is a HUGE difference between wanting and taking measures to make it happen. I totally understand wanting LO here, but I would never try to "jump start" labor outside of normal things like sex and walking which are good for you anyways. So IMO your feelings are totally normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, yes you are absolutely horrible! :) No seriously though, I totally understand the discomfort of late pregnancy and the agony of waiting to meet your LO but EDD are not an exact science and babies benefit greatly from the development in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

During the last few weeks there is additional brain development and fat storing that is very beneficial to your LO. Babies born even at 37/38 weeks have an increased risk of respiratory issues, jaundice and troubles eating. Try to stick it up and keep LO cooking for as long as you can and just know you are doing the best you can for your baby. GL! 

Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Just a warning...

I made a post like this with my first pregnancy, and oh my gosh... soo many people were ready to kill me for wanting such a thing. So take what people say as a duck takes to water. :)

It's not bad to want your child in your arms. And even still I'm a bit hopeful baby comes a week early for me. I can't take this pain much longer. :(

Best of luck... and hopefully you don't go overdue! lol.

And like PP said, don't do anything to jump start it.

And please... NO CASTEROIL!

• I agree. I obviously won't do anything to jumpstart labor but me & DH already think he's going to be an early baby. My mom was just telling me the other day about how I was as far along as she was when she had my brother and sister (twins). I'm so sick and tired of being pregnant, I just want to hold my baby!
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not horrible, just na?ve. A baby at 36 weeks is not fully developed, even 37 weeks is no longer the recommendation but 39 weeks for all things lung related to be functioning properly. I know its tough but hang in there, its for the best!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageks3pink:
    Not horrible, just na?ve. A baby at 36 weeks is not fully developed, even 37 weeks is no longer the recommendation but 39 weeks for all things lung related to be functioning properly. I know its tough but hang in there, its for the best!
    This.
    lolololo
  • imagesinisforgiven:

I'll be 36 weeks on Thursday, so it's really best if she/he doesn't come for at least a week and a half more.. But I just want to have my baby in my arms already!!! There are rarely problems with babies born at 36 weeks, so I feel like it wouldn't be so bad if it happened now.

I keep hoping that these BH contractions are going to turn into the real thing. Knowing my luck, I'll probably be pregnant still at 42 weeks!! LOL

I can't bare the thought of possibly being pregnant for another 6 weeks... but I definitely wouldn't want to be induced either. Guess I have to just suck it up!

I understand that you are excited to meet your baby, and that you are probably pretty uncomfortable. BUT that still doesn't mean that baby is ready to come. I am also not sure where you are getting your information re the bolded part, but babies born at 36 week can still have issues! Heck babies born at 40 weeks can  have issues and require NICU stays. Please whatever you do, don't try anything yet to make yourself go into labor. Women are meant to be pregnant for 40 week (or as close to that as possible) for a really good reason.

• In 36 weeks today and feel the exact same way!
  • imageAlaskabride2be:
    imagesinisforgiven:

I understand that you are excited to meet your baby, and that you are probably pretty uncomfortable. BUT that still doesn't mean that baby is ready to come. I am also not sure where you are getting your information re the bolded part, but babies born at 36 week can still have issues! Heck babies born at 40 weeks can  have issues and require NICU stays. Please whatever you do, don't try anything yet to make yourself go into labor. Women are meant to be pregnant for 40 week (or as close to that as possible) for a really good reason.

I'm definitely not going to do anything strange (like castor oil as pp mentioned) ... It's just that I'm a nurse, and many of the older and more experienced nurses at the hospital (as well as several MD's) keep telling me that I "look" like I'm going to go early. When I tell them I have over 4 weeks to go, they say that the baby would be healthy if born now etc... Probably about 10 different people have told me this, some of them multiple times.

I guess I'm just getting tired of hearing it from them every day, because I already know all the risks of delivering even a few weeks early... but they are getting my hopes up about not having to be pregnant any more but also having a healthy baby.   /sigh

Like I said, I'm just going to suck it up. I'll try not to pay attention and let them get my hopes up any more.

• imageerjarv:

First off, I'm going to be totally honest. I didn't even read most of your post and am replying pretty much just based off of the subject line.

Abso-freaking-lutely not. Or at least I hope not, because I want this baby out NOW. And I'm not going to lie, I want to meet him, and I can't wait to hold him and see him and love on him but the biggest reason is... I am really freakin' uncomfortable and I really just want him out so my body can go back to normal and I don't feel uncomfortable no matter what position I'm in.  

Ditto! 

"It's exhausting being fabulous." Victoria Beckham
  • imagephq2011:
    There is a HUGE difference between wanting and taking measures to make it happen. I totally understand wanting LO here, but I would never try to "jump start" labor outside of normal things like sex and walking which are good for you anyways. So IMO your feelings are totally normal.

Yes 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageerjarv:

imagephq2011:
    There is a HUGE difference between wanting and taking measures to make it happen. I totally understand wanting LO here, but I would never try to "jump start" labor outside of normal things like sex and walking which are good for you anyways. So IMO your feelings are totally normal.

Thanks :) Glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking about wanting my LO asap!

• There's a difference between hitting 24 weeks and saying "well, the baby is now viable, so ANY DAY NOW PLEASE" and being a couple weeks away and hoping it happens sooner rather than later. I'm quickly becoming more physically miserable after a pregnancy that has been incredibly, wonderfully smooth, aside from horrible nausea, but I'd rather deal with increasing carpal tunnel and sore EVERYTHING than have her come before she's ready; I can take a few more weeks of feeling crappy, even if I don't like it, but I don't feel bad admitting "man, this sucks, but oh well." I do not hope to be pregnant at 42 weeks, but she's definitely allowed to take as long as she needs.

That said, I know that one week from now, if I were to go into labor it would not be stopped. I wouldn't worry nearly as much if it happens in a week than I would have if it happened a month ago.  

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • I don't think you're horrible for wanting the baby to come early. I wish my baby would come early too. I just want to feel normal again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Honestly NO. I'm so sick of people preaching about the last 3-5 weeks. Babies are term at 37 weeks, yes not all babies develop at the exact same rate but the vast majority survive and have no consequences from being born at that gestational age. Medicine is NOT the exact science some people seem to think it is.

Right now it's trendy to say babies can and should be born as late as 42 weeks and they need every second in utero. I bet when our LOs are having babies they will say due to placenta calcification and the possibility of placental failure going beyond 40 weeks pregnancy isn't safe. It will just depend on the next trend in science 

So in short no you're not horrible 

• I'm feeling the exact same way!
  • I think it's normal at this stage to be anxious to meet the LO and feel like you're just over being pregnant. That said, I'd never try to jumpstart labor early bc I'd be afraid the date wouldbe off and baby's lungs wouldn't be developed. Hang in there. Not too much longer!

• Here's the thing. You're a mother now. You should want what is best for your baby.

Of COURSE you are excited to meet and hold your little one, but every single day that they are still in the womb is beneficial. 

Totally understand being anxious, but you should definitely, definitely not be wishing for it to happen at 36 weeks.

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No you are not horrible at all! I totally get it you are not saying you want to do anything to make baby get here faster but you are ready to meet your LO. I feel the same way. By all means I want a healthy baby but it's hard to spend nine months living for this little person that you love so much and have never met. There is nothing wrong with how you feel! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly?  I think there's some kind of natural impatience that kicks in for a lot of women (if not all women) late in pregnancy--like we're naturally prepping ourselves for labor by starting to really hope for it to come!  It sounds like you know that baby will come when he comes, and that you would never take things into your own hands to push it sooner, so I think your emotions are fine.  Actually, I think pretty much all emotions about this are fine--you could be at 24 weeks and say "I am so over this and wish it were done" and I wouldn't judge you because I don't assume you mean "I want this to be done at the expense of my baby's health."
  • imageChance5291:

Honestly NO. I'm so sick of people preaching about the last 3-5 weeks. Babies are term at 37 weeks, yes not all babies develop at the exact same rate but the vast majority survive and have no consequences from being born at that gestational age. Medicine is NOT the exact science some people seem to think it is.

Right now it's trendy to say babies can and should be born as late as 42 weeks and they need every second in utero. I bet when our LOs are having babies they will say due to placenta calcification and the possibility of placental failure going beyond 40 weeks pregnancy isn't safe. It will just depend on the next trend in science 

Just because they'll survive, doesn't mean it is better:

https://healthland.time.com/2012/07/02/study-children-born-too-early-have-lower-reading-and-math-scores/

https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/02/babies-born-weeks-early-health

• imagephq2011:

This. You are totally normal in your feelings and as long as you're not talking unnecessary induction at 37 wks, I don't think anyone will judge too harshly. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoisLane23:
    imageChance5291:

Honestly NO. I'm so sick of people preaching about the last 3-5 weeks. Babies are term at 37 weeks, yes not all babies develop at the exact same rate but the vast majority survive and have no consequences from being born at that gestational age. Medicine is NOT the exact science some people seem to think it is.

Psst:: They didn't used to do inductions at all. You delivered when you delivered, whether it be 36 or 42 weeks. There's a reason it's an estimate.

I'm sorry but EVERY TIME I see that GIF or whatever you call it, it cracks me up soooo bad!!! LMAO

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No, you aren't horrible. I think there is a reason for a certain period of gestation. Your baby is not ready at 36 weeks even if you are full term. The end is very near and just try to enjoy the next few weeks.

• imageLoisLane23:
    imageChance5291:

Psst:: They didn't used to do inductions at all. You delivered when you delivered, whether it be 36 or 42 weeks. There's a reason it's an estimate.

This is actually untrue. Women and doctors of women have been inducing labor since the second century. Whether it's a good idea or not, since women have been getting pregnant women have been finding ways to manage their pregnancies. It's a really interesting history.

https://www.glowm.com/index.html?p=glowm.cml/section_view&articleid=130

TTC since March 2010 BFP 11/18/11 DD born 8/6/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Obviously we want our babies to be healthy and developed...but i get the SAME feeling. I think it's a mental thing to get prepared for labor. If we were absolutely comfy and had no symptoms we'd probably be way more afraid and focussed on the labor pain that was going to happen. But that GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME feeling kind of makes you look forward to it even though it's going to be painful.

:)

BabyName Ticker
  • No. I don't agree with you on wanting the baby early. I do agree that wants vs. actions are two different things. Regardless of what others posted, the baby isn't ready at 36 weeks. There is a reason we wait til 40 weeks as tough as it may be. 
  • I understand you are anxious & excited, but you really want baby to stay put until 40 weeks. Everyone is miserable at the end, but it's not really about you. It's about a healthy, mature baby. Any time spent in the NICU is awful & you don't want it.

I don't think you are a horrible person, but naive & thinking more of your own discomfort vs. what is best for your baby. It's natural to want it over with, but baby will be here before you know it. There are times (especially right after delivery) that I inexplicably missed being pregnant. As miserable as I was, I missed it. Take it a day at a time.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Horrible, no? Do I hope that it isn't the case for you? Yes. That last month of development is important. This graphic from March of Dimes compares 35w to 40w babies and you are talking about 36 weeks, but remember that all of the growth and development they mention happens gradually. 36 or even 37 weeks isn't some magical finishing point (heck, neither is 40 weeks). 

Scroll to the side to see more information in the image than will show up at once.image

• I soooooooooooo feel the same way! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"