Pre-School and Daycare

Do you dress LO in 'good' clothes for preschool?

For me, DD's better clothes would be Gymboree,Ralph Lauren,Naartjie,etc VS play clothes I get from Kohl's,Target,etc. I just feel that if I wouldn't normally let my DD play outside or wear at home then I should just stick to play clothes for school. Or do they really not get as dirty as I'm expecting?! TIA!!

Re: Do you dress LO in 'good' clothes for preschool?

• My boys wore a step between play clothes and good clothes.  Play clothes for us are simple t-shirts and elastic waist band shorts - usually.  They wore nicer shorts and t-shirts to preschool.  Their good collared shirts, pants, etc were saved for non-school activities.

They get dirty on the play ground, at snack time and when doing art.  Not filthy but enough that you might be upset if that stuff got on RL shirts.   

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• He usually wears clothes from Target.  He gets very dirty, especially during the warmer months.  Their playground is covered in sand.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I find that my kids get their clothes more stained from eating than from playing so I do not differentiate. 
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I let him wear "school clothes" they are usually from Old Navy, Target etc. I save the better clothes for when he is out with us. He gets so many holes in his knees, stains and the like to send him in stuff I care too much about.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My kids wear play clothes. And by play clothes I mean clothes that I don't give a rip if they get torn, dirty, stained, etc.
  • I dress her in a variety of stuff, from Old Navy to Hanna Andersson. I buy stuff for DD1 that's going to hold up through lots of use by two kids since DD2 will also wear it, and so I'm okay with shelling out a bit more for it. Target clothes haven't lasted long for us, so I rarely buy them anymore even for preschool. 

Her clothes don't get trashed, so I'll keep doing that. DD1 loves dresses and skirts, so I get a lot of casual ones for her. I try to buy prints/patterns that make little spots less noticeable. Occasionally things have come home with ink or marker that won't come out. But that's rare, maybe one dress and one shirt last year. Some of the light-colored leggings eventually get stained knees and need to be tossed. I consider that at a level of typical wear; not every single piece is going to make it to DD2 anyway, so we'll keep doing what we're doing. 

I don't send her in anything that I'd be heartbroken about if it came home with an random line of green marker or something. But she still wears pretty nice clothes overall, I think. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • All my kid wears is Target/Children's Place play clothes. If they get dirty - good! It means she had a busy and productive day. I don't think at this age, children should have anything but play clothes to wear, save for the occasional church service dress. Let them go wild and play and get dirty.
  • My DD likes to wear casual dresses.  She has a lot of knit dresses from Target.  She doesn't get that dirty at school, but they play on the playground every day unless it's pouring outside, so I like her to be comfortable.  Some of the girls in her class wear dressier dresses, but most of them wear nice-looking play clothes except on picture day.

They usually have smocks for art class, etc., but think about how you want her to feel.  Preschool is supposed to be fun, so you wouldn't want her to avoid an activity because her clothes aren't comfortable or she's worried about getting dirty. 

• The dressier dresses or white clothing is reserved for special time outside of school. Then there are school clothes (Target, Kohls, Carters, Gymboree) which are getting blended w/ wknd play clothes. DD is really into dresses right now and prefers to wear these on wknds too.
  • I don't put anything on my girls that I don't expect to come home with paint or juice stains on it. Most of my girls clothes are hand me downs that might already have a small stain or two on them so I put them in these clothes first to go to school. I do buy them each some new outfits for each season and I usually don't put them in these clothes unless they are something I expect to get stained. My girls don't wear nice Sunday dresses to school, I save those for church and family outings. I do have some hand me down dresses that I have sent them to school in, but again since they have already been through at least 1 kid, most of them have a small stain or look worn from wash and wear. Even though they use washable paint at school it doesn't always come out.
  • DD has very few "good" clothes - by her own choice, she wears dresses almost every day, but everything is either from Target or consignment/Goodwill.  I will buy her a "nice" dress from Target or maybe Kohl's/Gap, etc. for holidays or picture day, but even those are never more than $20-30 and I buy maybe 2 a season. 

Having said that, she rarely comes home from preschool very dirty - even though they are on the playground several times day - everything washes out except for a few things that were seriously stained by foods.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • No.  In fact, our preschool requested that kids wear clothes that are comfortable for active play, which is an important part of the preschool's curriculum.  Also, they do messy art and cooking projects, and even though they wear aprons and smocks, clothes can still get messy.

My kids have a few "dressy" outfits for important occasions, but the rest of their clothes are comfortable and casual.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Kids get dirty at school period.  They eat and get messy, they do arts and crafts and go outside.  If you are going to stress over something getting dirty do not send your child to school in it.  Kids get dirty and that is half of the fun sometimes - I never want my kids stressed about what they are wearing when at school or really anytime.  Yes, we have times where they need to look extra nice and be dressed up but honestly, everyday living is not the time for my kids to worry about their clothes getting ruined.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • DD gets VERY dirty at school so I usually don't send her in anything I wouldn't want stained
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My kid's clothing gets trashed at preschool. I don't mind because I like that they do so many cool activities! (It's usually paint that stains permanently). I actually buy a lot of garage sale/thrift clothing- I look for good name brands that will hold up well in the washer, but since they only cost $1 I don't care if they get stained.
  • DS wears Ralph Lauren polos daily with some khaki shorts or something. DD wears her lilly and hanna dresses to the sitter daily. 
  • My kids do not have "nice clothes" vs regular stuff.  I buy from Land's End, Target, a little ON, Hanna Anderson, Stride Rite.  Mostly on sale. I do not put my kids in anything that I would worry about getting dirty.  Casual and comfy.
  • I dressed DS is "good" clothes for preschool.  Did they get worn and dirty---yes.  I refuse to buy anything for him though that is the color white.

His new school wears school uniforms.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Nice, but comfy clothes!  No suits or ties!!!
  • DS wears his Gymboree to school. He has never come home with a stain from school.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No.  They come home destroyed with paint or dirt or glitter or ripped knees or whatever on a regular basis.  So t-shirts and shorts (hand-me-downs are common) most days.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imageLeila'sMommy:
    All my kid wears is Target/Children's Place play clothes. If they get dirty - good! It means she had a busy and productive day. I don't think at this age, children should have anything but play clothes to wear, save for the occasional church service dress. Let them go wild and play and get dirty.

Same here.  Except for church clothes, my son only has play clothes really.  

• No, DD does not wear good clothes. I think she gets pretty gross...between lunch, playing outside, art, and whatever else I just keep her in target or old navy stuff for school.
  • His preschool has a huge consignment sale in the fall that I bought a ton of his clothes from last year. I send him in a nice sweater or polo on Friday when they have chapel and in play clothes that I either get from consignment stores or from Kohl's Jumping Beans brand when they're really reduced the rest of the days.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"