3rd Trimester

Prenatal not enough?

Are any of you having issues keeping certain vitamin levels up? I got a call from my Dr that my iron and D3 levels were low and to start adding supplements. I've been taking my prenatal daily but am still having to add additional supplements. Anyone else?
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 2/10/2012!
Due Date: 10/15/2012!
Baby Boy Born 10/11/12! (Not on purpose) :)

Re: Prenatal not enough?

• In terms of vitamin D, almost everyone is deficient, unless you happen to have lighter skin and live in an extremely sunny area and spent a lot of time in the sun. (people of color are VERY prone to low levels, the darker the skin the harder it is to get it naturally).

For example, I don't remember my exact number, but I asked to be tests and I believe my D levels were 27... I live in Chicago and don't spend much time outside, so to try to counteract that, I take 4000 IU of extra vitamin D every day, and have for a couple years (and that's just the D supplements--my prenatal and calcium supplements also have vitamin D in them). The doctor said my numbers were fantastic compared to most people she sees who don't supplement and have results of 8 or 9, which is extremely common in normal adults in this area, but ideally she would have liked me to be above 30. Moral of the story, vitamin D levels are hard. haha. 

As for iron, many pregnant women have problems with iron levels. It's not uncommon at all to be put on an iron supplement especially after 20 weeks. 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • My hemoglobin count was low during my GTT, so I'm on an iron supplement along with prenatals. Not many prenatals have enough iron if you might be deficient to make up for it; it's pretty common for those who might be anemic to have to take iron.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am on an iron supplement as well as my prenatals as my iron levels are low too.  However, Im not into 'meat' while pregnant. 
    lolololo
  • I take 5000 IUs of VitD daily on top of my prenatal. With that, my levels are in the normal range.

I'm also taking iron for energy, even though I'm not anemic.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageterri_doula2010:

I take 5000 IUs of VitD daily on top of my prenatal. With that, my levels are in the normal range.

Me too, and it keeps leg cramps away for me!

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I had to start taking an iron tablet daily after my last visit because I was anemic (my hemoglobin was 10.8 and their cutoff is 11).  So now I take the prenatal, DHA, iron, and colace to counteract the iron's side effects occasionally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I just never hear about anyone having to do additional supplements on top of the prenatal (except for D3). The low D makes sense since I'm in TX and never go outside bc it is way too hot... :)

BFP 2/10/2012!
    Due Date: 10/15/2012!
    Baby Boy Born 10/11/12! (Not on purpose) :)
  • I wish it were as simple as that for me right now. I was informed early in my 2nd trimester that my iron levels were low and put on a large dose of iron.. After weeks of taking multiple iron pills a day and my levels just getting lower and lower I now have to have iron infusions that take 2 hours each time every friday, along with a b12 injection.. Good luck and don't be too worried, I'm pretty sure most pregnant women end up needing extra iron 
    photo a436e47a-1fc7-4b2c-aee9-dc94f8169c1f_zpsbbb152f9.jpg photo 301d07a6-bea2-41ae-8e5b-30e66a49659d_zps6d6599b3.jpg photo 80f355e8-ba3f-48d5-aeb4-f6f4c1c72f6e_zps8e4fac15.jpg BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageangieboldt:
    imageterri_doula2010:

I take 5000 IUs of VitD daily on top of my prenatal. With that, my levels are in the normal range.

Me too, and it keeps leg cramps away for me!

Wow, maybe that's why I haven't had any! In my teens and early 20s I was very prone to waking up with charlie horses that made me want to die. I haven't had any in the past couple years, and I was expecting them to plague me during pregnancy.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Yep, I take iron and Vitamin D as well. And also fish oil/DHA.

Like others have said, many women have low iron levels, especially during pregnancy. 

And nearly everyone in the USA is deficient in Vitamin D.  On top of that, most multivitamins & prenatals don't have enough vitamin D (most only have 400 IU, I take more than 10 times that amount each day!)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • After the glucose test Dr wanted me to take an additional iron supplement as my iron levels were border line, I was not too surprised as I have been anemic all my life but pregnancy has actually made it a lot better!
  • imageRunswithwolves:
    I wish it were as simple as that for me right now. I was informed early in my 2nd trimester that my iron levels were low and put on a large dose of iron.. After weeks of taking multiple iron pills a day and my levels just getting lower and lower I now have to have iron infusions that take 2 hours each time every friday, along with a b12 injection.. Good luck and don't be too worried, I'm pretty sure most pregnant women end up needing extra iron 

You may not necessarily be needing more iron. You may be needing more Vitamin C, as vitamin C helps iron absorption. Or you may need more copper, I've recently learned that low copper can be just as much a cause of anemia as low iron.  It's worth a shot trying to eat more vitamin C and copper containing foods.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm on the extra iron pill now too. They told me to take it with orange juice to help absorption.. But er, uh, I need to go get that prescription and you all have reminded me to do it! I'm not so good at remembering to take pills. I always think I did, but then look up two days later and didn't.
  • Last month, my B12 came up as low. I've had to have weekly B12 shots since then, and now I'm back to normal, but the doc still wants me to have another shot in 3 weeks. Apparently it's a fairly common problem for pregnant women. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My D3 levels were low before I got PG so I continued taking my D3 vitamin in addition to my prenatals. I also take a lot of other supplements because of the twins (additional folic acid, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin C & E, etc.). There's no harm in adding the D3 to your regimen if you need it.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"