February 2013 Moms

Ridiculous Pregnancy Advice...

Today a co-workers told me not to eat cucumbers because the baby might choke on the seeds.  I could not stop laughing for the rest of the day!

So I'm curious...what is the craziest, most ridiculous pregnancy advice you've received so far? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ridiculous Pregnancy Advice...

• Mash67Mash67 member
    Wow.. really... Ignorance LOL
  • oh goodness, so I guess that means no watermelon, or strawberries, or tomatoes.....  haha.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • not ridiculous, but my mom told me last night that i "should not be over doing it" and I should "stop vacuuming!".  This was after I had repeatedly told her DH was vacuuming as I don't do it anyways, and all I was doing was sweeping.  She said I should stop immediately, and I said not with a pile of cat hair in the middle of the floor!

I think she feels I should just lie on a couch and fan myself ;)

• The best part was how serious she was!  She told me she almost called me at home because she was worried about me.  It doesn't get any better than this ladies.  Hehe.
  • I was on vacation with my in-laws for a week and every time I didn't feel like eating, my MIL kept telling me "but the baby will be hungry". I finally explained to her that the baby is like a parasite and living off the nutrients in my blood and that the umbilical cord  is not directly linked to my stomach.

Oh, and this was after she told me how healthy she ate while pregnant (mind you, she decided to mention this while I was eating a candy bar so it felt like she was trying to hint at me) because when she was pregnant with my hubby, she ate tuna every day. It was with great pleasure I informed her the fish limit for tuna. Stick out tongue

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are a lot of uneducated ppl about anatomy and physiology of the human body. I've heard so much, and have learned to keep a straight face when ppl say ignorant statements, but some do surprise me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was talking with the charge nurse at work and he told me I need to stop drinking now... Really? I've never heard that before! I'm pretty sure it's common sense to most people, plus I'm a nurse, I am well aware that I shouldn't drink. I know I'm young, but I'm not completely uninformed about this. So far this is all the advice I've been given. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageaurorii:

Today a co-workers told me not to eat cucumbers because the baby might choke on the seeds.  I could not stop laughing for the rest of the day!

So I'm curious...what is the craziest, most ridiculous pregnancy advice you've received so far? 

Wow. That is some pretty serious stupid right there. As bad as the woman (was it on this board or another?) whose MIL told her she had to eat every food - any food she didn't eat, her LO would end up with a birthmark in the shape of that food. WTHeck???

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• This post has me laughing uncontrollably! I had someone tell me I shouldn't raise my arms above my head at all because thats how the umbilical cord gets wrapped around baby's neck.... some people... 
  • This post is cracking me up..I wonder if these people are related to the girl whose husband swore he'd get their unborn baby girl pregnant by having sex with her...
  • My MIL said not to let myself get hungry because I'd "be depriving the baby." :eyeroll:
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • imageKareBear0408:
    This post is cracking me up..I wonder if these people are related to the girl whose husband swore he'd get their unborn baby girl pregnant by having sex with her...

That was so funny!  Had DH and me laughing our heads off!   

• I was told that if I was worried the baby was getting to big to start smoking to make sure it was small at birth. I asked the older lady who told me this why I would ever do such a thing, to that she replied it was what they used to do in the old days so you wouldn't tare badly and bleed to death. I thanked her for the advice and wondered about the health of her kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehsweetman:
    I was told that if I was worried the baby was getting to big to start smoking to make sure it was small at birth. I asked the older lady who told me this why I would ever do such a thing, to that she replied it was what they used to do in the old days so you wouldn't tare badly and bleed to death. I thanked her for the advice and wondered about the health of her kids.

Oh my goodness! I can't stop laughing at this! 

• imageNicoleN82:

not ridiculous, but my mom told me last night that i "should not be over doing it" and I should "stop vacuuming!".  This was after I had repeatedly told her DH was vacuuming as I don't do it anyways, and all I was doing was sweeping.  She said I should stop immediately, and I said not with a pile of cat hair in the middle of the floor!

Your mom would lose her s**t if I were her kid. I played baseball tonight and plan on horseback riding on Thursday... You're pregnant, not broken.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When I asked my doctor about using a hot water bottle for cramps, she laughed and told me that a local common belief is that if you drink hot drinks, you'll burn the baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
  • I was told not to swim under water or hold my breath because that will cut off oxygen to the baby...lol :)  

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Just curious.... Was your coworker being serious?  
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaurorii:
    The best part was how serious she was!  She told me she almost called me at home because she was worried about me.  It doesn't get any better than this ladies.  Hehe.

Just read this after my post... wow, I'm speechless! 

Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband told me that because his mother had a short labor (2-3 hours) for each of her kids, that mine would be too. 

I informed him that his mothers pregnancy has nothing to do with mine.  

He has his Bachelor of Science in Biology. FML. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageNicoleN82:

not ridiculous, but my mom told me last night that i "should not be over doing it" and I should "stop vacuuming!".  This was after I had repeatedly told her DH was vacuuming as I don't do it anyways, and all I was doing was sweeping.  She said I should stop immediately, and I said not with a pile of cat hair in the middle of the floor!

I want my family to think this way! They can do my cooking and chores, and I'll chill on the couch :-)

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageNicoleN82:

It really irritates me when people try to tell me things like that.  I have always vaccuumed and I'm not going to stop because I'm pregnant.  Yes, there are certain activities that I now refrain from, but I'm not just going to sit around in a bubble because I'm pregnant.

The look on some people's faces when I tell them I'm still running is priceless.  People have no clue.

• imageRosebean:
    imageNicoleN82:

Your mom would lose her s**t if I were her kid. I played baseball tonight and plan on horseback riding on Thursday... You're pregnant, not broken.  

I couldn't agree more!

• These are hilarious!!! I love this thread!!  The weirdest one I got was from my grandmother in law who told me I should not watch tv or listen to music because the noise would hurt their ears. So strange! 
  • imagelil fox:

I was on vacation with my in-laws for a week and every time I didn't feel like eating, my MIL kept telling me "but the baby will be hungry". I finally explained to her that the baby is like a parasite and living off the nutrients in my blood and that the umbilical cord  is not directly linked to my stomach.

Oh, and this was after she told me how healthy she ate while pregnant (mind you, she decided to mention this while I was eating a candy bar so it felt like she was trying to hint at me) because when she was pregnant with my hubby, she ate tuna every day. It was with great pleasure I informed her the fish limit for tuna. Stick out tongue

Yeah, my mom pulls this same stuff. She also ate tuna every day and smoked cigarettes throughout the whole pregnancy! I'm lucky to be alive!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"