October 2012 Moms

XP: daycare requiring baby's SSN+parental home visit?

From third tri. Love to also hear your thoughts.

UPDATE: Daycare requiring SS# of baby+parental home visit

The provider finally got back to me. Here's what she wrote in the email. Essentially DCFS needs the baby's SS#, she says. Plus the home visit is to better understand the child and parent. I'm the one asking the questions and she responded in a diffferent color (hopefully it comes out on your computer screen.)

Thoughts?

2. I'm very interested in your daycare, but would prefer to limit SSN access due to issues with identify theft. On your application, you ask for a copy of the SS card for the baby and SSNs for both parents. Why is this? Other daycare centers don't ask for this information and the SS website doesn't list daycares as provider legally required to collect SSNs. 
For the children, we are required to have a copy of the birth certificate and SS card on file for DCFS licensing.  The SSN's for the parents are to be used for the voluntary background check, and end-of-year statements.  Providing the parent SSN is optional.  However, we would like to have as much information on file as possible to avoid requesting the information later.  All information provided to ***'s Care is confidential and will not be shared with any third parties without your consent.

3. Your application also says a home visit might be required. Why is this? What is it for?
To get to know your child and your family, we like to schedule a visit to observe how your child interacts with various aspects of your home (i.e. sleeping in crib, stimulating room colors, siblings, pets, etc.).  This allows us to holistically understand your child and possibly bring elements of your home to our facility; giving your child a sense of home away from home.  The home visit is totally optional.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: daycare requiring baby's SSN+parental home visit?

• I work for an organization that provides care to intellectually disabled individuals. We have to get background checks and child abuse checks. However, we do that ourselves by going to a local police station where they do your finger prints and send out the information. I would see if this is an option for the background checks to avoid giving them your SS#.

You could attempt to call the DCFS licensing people to see if it is standard procedure for daycares to require LO SS# on file.

As for home visits I have never heard of this.

It does seem a little fishy.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wait, the daycare runs a voluntary background check on the parents? Did I read that right?
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekmdoh77:Wait, the daycare runs a voluntary background check on the parents? Did I read that right?

Yes, you read that right. I'm not sure if this is standard operating procedure or something odd. I mean, I'm not a criminal. I've flown in the backseat of a fully loaded F/a 18 hornet with a fighter pilot, so apparently I passed the US govt background check, I suppose. But I suppose no one would believe that unless they checked? Why are parents being checked? Is this for child predators? very confusing to me. I'm a FTM and all the kids in my family are in their 20s, so no one remembers whether this is correct or not.

• imageamb5353:

I work for an organization that provides care to intellectually disabled individuals. We have to get background checks and child abuse checks. However, we do that ourselves by going to a local police station where they do your finger prints and send out the information. I would see if this is an option for the background checks to avoid giving them your SS#.

You could attempt to call the DCFS licensing people to see if it is standard procedure for daycares to require LO SS# on file.

As for home visits I have never heard of this.

It does seem a little fishy.

This. 

I would definitely call the DCFS. I just think it's very strange that they would need LO's SS#. As for the home visit, I guess if its optional you could decline, but would that mean your chances of LO getting accepted are less? Its just a bit extreme for child care.

Hopefully it all works out. Good luck!!

Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBronzeMama:

imagekmdoh77:

Wait, the daycare runs a voluntary background check on the parents? Did I read that right?

Yes, you read that right. I'm not sure if this is standard operating procedure or something odd. I mean, I'm not a criminal. I've flown in the backseat of a fully loaded F/a 18 hornet with a fighter pilot, so apparently I passed the US govt background check, I suppose. But I suppose no one would believe that unless they checked? Why are parents being checked? Is this for child predators? very confusing to me. I'm a FTM and all the kids in my family are in their 20s, so no one remembers whether this is correct or not.

Wow! I'm a FTM but I've never heard of a daycare running a background check on the parents either. We have toured a few of the nicer day cares in our area and they haven't mentioned a background check or a home visit. Oh and the comment about stimulating wall colors in the home made me LOL. Are they going to paint the daycare walls the same as your nursery?

• imageBronzeMama:

imagekmdoh77:

Wait, the daycare runs a voluntary background check on the parents? Did I read that right?

And- how cool to be able to fly in a F/a 18 hornet?? Jealous:)

• Definitely call your local DCFS as previously mentioned. If it's required for licensing, then all daycares who are registered and license would have to collect it. And if you're finding that not to be the case, then either the current daycare is misinformed, or there's a lot of daycares that are out of compliance with licensing standards. I'd also check the DCFS website to see if they have a spot where you can go on and look at the standing of a daycare, including any reports maybe made against them and whatnot. I know DCF here in Florida has that, and it gives access to all site visits and if there were any infractions, how they were handled, etc.

IMG_2014
  • imagekmdoh77:
    [

And- how cool to be able to fly in a F/a 18 hornet?? Jealous:)

yes, it was a blast. I even broke the sound barrier, and I didn't get sick (though I did go a bit blind... long story. It was temporary.)

As for daycare. Who knew it would be this challenging?

• I have heard of this with private schools, not daycares, but a lot of elite private schools will do background checks on parents b/c they only want the best of the best in their schools. They will also do almost like an interview at home to see if you are the type of family they want at their school.

This could be a way to weed out any possible criminals or pedophiles being at the daycare. The background check wouldn't bother me. However you can get an official background check yourself and have it sent to them. Then you would avoid releasing SSN. I had to do that to start my student teaching. I can't remember the website but it is an official government website. You pay a small fee fill out some stuff and then they personally send the background statement.  

I would call DCFS about your child having to give SSN. I would enver give that to anyone

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good idea re background check. I'm going to visit a few other daycares (I hate to scratch this one off the list bc it's so affordable.) Maybe something else will tickle my fancy and be within the budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"