December 2011 Moms
Options

Scared of puffs!

Not the baby but me. I've given him puffs a few times and he gags sooo bad. I KNOW gagging isn't the same as choking but it still scares the crap out of me! I know he's just getting used to textures. I haven't even sent puffs to school because I'm nervous he'll choke. Although the providers are probably a lot more used to gagging babies than I am. Any other paranoid moms out there? Any suggestions besides suck it up and get over it? Lol

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

Re: Scared of puffs!

• Options
    I wAs terrified. I broke them in half by had a second time mom assure me he wouldn't choke one day at the beach. I only let him have 4 or 5 a day bc they constipated him. For a while I only let him have them when DH was home but feel better now that he eats more solid type foods. He also likes these rice milk melts which dissolve quicker in their mouths. They are by plum organics. The gagging is their reflex as they push the food back to the front of their mouth. Once I was ok with it, the gagging stopped!  I totally know how you feel though. I give him chunks or fruit and am constantly finger sweeping bc his teeth bite huge chunks and I still freak out. 

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options
    I was breaking them up into about 4 pieces each for a while and then the other day decided to be brave and give him a whole one.  He didn't choke or gag at all, but he also doesn't understand the whole chewing thing yet.  He sort of sucks on it and then swallows it. 
    photo IMG_2317_zpsa2789747.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The gagging scared me, and still does! But I've calme down a lot. If he gags I try to look in his mouth first before freaking out. A lot of the times it's just further back on his tongue and for whatever reason makes him gag. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's what scares me most. When the puffs get stuck on the back of her tongue, she can't seem to get them back into her mouth to chew up. I haven't given them to her in a couple of days, because they scare me so bad!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I understand and don't blame you at all for being nervous. A actually does great with puffs and cheerios, however I tried giving her those Gerber wagon wheels and she hacked off a huge piece and tried to swallow without chewing and couldn't breathe until I stuck my finger down her throat, then did it the next day with the cheese doodle type puffs (which she had previously done fine with). We are laying off anything other than regular puffs or cheerios for a while. 

On that note, have you tried cheerios? They are smaller and seem a bit easier to get down. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejvg6909:

I understand and don't blame you at all for being nervous. A actually does great with puffs and cheerios, however I tried giving her those Gerber wagon wheels and she hacked off a huge piece and tried to swallow without chewing and couldn't breathe until I stuck my finger down her throat, then did it the next day with the cheese doodle type puffs (which she had previously done fine with). We are laying off anything other than regular puffs or cheerios for a while. 

On that note, have you tried cheerios? They are smaller and seem a bit easier to get down. 

Actually I haven't tried Cheerios yet. I figured the puffs would dissolve quicker. Maybe not?  I'll give it a try!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the reassurance!  Glad I'm not the only one.  

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Options
    imagelckcdc3:
    imagejvg6909:

Actually I haven't tried Cheerios yet. I figured the puffs would dissolve quicker. Maybe not?  I'll give it a try!

That's what I thought too, but they seem to dissolve just as easily and she absolutely loves them!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"