Babies: 9 - 12 Months

**MRoss1982** and anyone else who wants a healthy cake recipe.

Here is the recipe I found and my results....

Vanilla Bean Cake:

Add to food processor:
2 cups cooked white beans, room temperature, so they don't cook the eggs (I made mine myself by soaking dry white beans overnight. In the morning I rinsed them well, and cooked them.)
6 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla liquid stevia (do not measure over the batter, just in case it spills out)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey

Puree well.

Add:
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)

Puree well.

Pour into springform pan, lined with unbleached parchment paper on the bottom, and greased all around.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. (I like to check to see if it's done by inserting a knife into the middle. If it's comes out mostly clean, it's done.) Bake for about 22 minutes for cupcakes.

Frosting:
Melt over double boiler:
1.5 bars of 3.2 oz dark chocolate (about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips)
3/4 cup coconut milk

When the chocolate has just barely melted, remove from heat.

Add:
2 tbsp honey
10 drops liquid stevia
2 to 4 tbsp coconut flour, sifted.
Refrigerate until the frosting has cooled, about 15 minutes. (You know it's ready when it is the texture of frosting.)

When the cake has cooled fully, top the cake with the frosting.

https://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2009/06/gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free.html
-----------

I changed a few things. The biggest thing I changed was that I used almond flour instead of coconut flour just because I don't care for coconut and didn't want that flavor to shine through.
I also didn't have vanilla flavored liquid stevia. I only have the natural, unflavored stevia so I added 1/2-3/4 more tsp of vanilla extract to it. 
Finally I ended up having to cook it longer, about 50-60 minutes was more like it. Just keep and eye on it and keep some tooth picks near by. 
We used Cannellini beans, sometimes called white kidney beans. They have a mild flavor to them and I wanted to make sure you couldn't taste them.
My last note is that I used olive oil to grease the pan not butter. (olive oil and coconut oil are the healthiest oil out there especially to cook with and is all we have in the house anyways, no butter)

Notes on the icing:
My mom and I aren't huge dark chocolate fans, even if it is much healthier, and we were using 60% Ghirardelli chocolate chips that are good for cooking with. (We have up to 90% pure dark chocolate in the house but that is hard to eat IMO). To offset the bitterness I added 1 more tsp of honey (I will try to add even more if I make it again) and 10 more drops of stevia. It still tasted liked dark chocolate but did seem to take some bitterness out of it. I also did not add the flour because almond flour is more course then coconut flour and it made it a little gritty. I just spread it onto the cake while it was still pretty liquidy and it worked out well.

The cake turned out amazing!! You would have NO clue this cake is actually pretty healthy. It is super moist. My mom eats it with out the icing claiming it doesn't need it. (I bet she wouldn't take the icing off if there was store bought milk chocolate icing on it though lol) I am really bad and my mind will often stop me from eating something if I don't like an ingredient in it, regardless on how it tastes. I made sure to just think of it as a nice fattening cake for the first few bites, just in case, but I have no problem chowing down on it because it really does taste like any other vanilla cake.

We may try making a tofu, strawberry and banana icing for Eevee just to cut back on the amount of honey she would be getting (and she LOVES strawberries and bananas.)
You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
<a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view

Re: **MRoss1982** and anyone else who wants a healthy cake recipe.

• For those who think this cake couldn't taste good:

I admit that I am pretty much a hypocrite when I have my daughter eat so healthy. I still eat like to 2 year old. My DH has to beg me to eat veggies and I HATE beans. Nope won't touch them no matter how they are prepared or what dish they are in. My daughter hates beans too. Can't figure out how to get her to eat them yet, but I like this cake and so does she. (I gave her a few tiny pieces to make sure she liked it for her party) =D
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"