Pregnant after a Loss

Hospital bag

What do you have in your hospital bag and when did you pack it? 
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital bag

• With DS, I think I packed my bag around 37 weeks. It included the kitchen sink. DD was a RCS, and I probably packed it the week of my CS. I have learned that you don't really need half of the shiz you think you will. This time around, I will probably pack it at 34ish weeks (hoping like heck I make it that far) and I will include:

My own pillow--the hospitals were plasticy and gross

Socks. Lots of socks.

A few nighties (With a CS, I will probably stay 3-4 nights)

3 comfortable changes of clothes. Prob yoga pants with a nursing tank, and a wrap in case I get cool. I tend to go a little stir crazy being stuck inside, so I'm hoping my DH will take me outside for some fresh air.

My checkbook--to pay for NB pics at my hospital. They don't accept plastic.

My toiletries, including my blowdryer and flat iron. Yes. I am THAT GIRL. Stick out tongue

My ID and insurance card, which I will prob just give to DH. I probably won't need them since I will be preregistered, but we live a little ways from the hospital, so I don't want DH to have to drive home to get them.

A going home outfit for the babies.

That is my list of my own bare necessities. HTH

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I started packing mine at 35 weeks, and it's mostly packed now except for the things we're still using. I used this list some, though I didn't feel like I needed most of this stuff:

https://captainhambone.typepad.com/not_that_you_asked/2006/10/the_great_big_h.html

And another list we got from our doula. Since we're trying for a natural birth, I have some extras for laboring, including washcloths, my own labor gown, a rice sock we can heat, swim trunks for DH for when I'm in the tub or shower, and our doula is providing massage oils.

Our doula also recommended we pack two bags: one for laboring and one for postpartum, that way we aren't lugging around all of the stuff for our hospital stay. I found that to be pretty helpful, too! GL!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRusalkaSings:

I started packing mine at 35 weeks, and it's mostly packed now except for the things we're still using. I used this list some, though I didn't feel like I needed most of this stuff:

https://captainhambone.typepad.com/not_that_you_asked/2006/10/the_great_big_h.html

And another list we got from our doula. Since we're trying for a natural birth, I have some extras for laboring, including washcloths, my own labor gown, a rice sock we can heat, swim trunks for DH for when I'm in the tub or shower, and our doula is providing massage oils.

Our doula also recommended we pack two bags: one for laboring and one for postpartum, that way we aren't lugging around all of the stuff for our hospital stay. I found that to be pretty helpful, too! GL!

Oh! Two bags is a great idea! I know with DD I packed 1 huge bag (9 years ago so I really don't remember what was in it). I know I barely used anything in it and what I did use was a pain to get to.

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This question is quite popular.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/67695341.aspx

It's an easy google search, even to get results from TheBump. Just add "site:community.thebump.com" to your search and you'll find results from these boards.

ETA: If you really want my list, here it is. I am a super over-packer, because I feel more comfortable when I know I have everything I might ever need. I packed Sunday at 35w0d. I have one suitcase for me, one for baby (incl diapers and bottles), and I'll have an extra small bag for when I go in for my c/s with the essentials (ID, cash, etc). I packed "early" because my c/s is only 13 days away at 37w1d and my other two kids were born at 36 weeks.

For Me:
    Favorite Music with portable player
    Flip flops for shower
    Birth Plan
    Lotion
    Chapstick
    Deck of cards, magazines, book
    Fan!!!!!!!
    Nail file
    Clippers
    Paper and pencil
    Camera and/or video recorder
    3 x Extra pillows
    ORANGE pillowcases
    Laptop
    Laptop adapter
    Towels x 2
    Tv shows
    Cell phone
    Slippers
    Cell phone charger
    Pillows/clothes for DH
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Shaver
    Shaving cream
    Shampoo
    Soap
    Hair brush
    Bobby pins, pony tails
    Deodorant
    Big pads
    Small pads
    Robe and slippers
    Socks x 8
    Bras x 2 (plus wear one)
    Tank tops x 1 (plus wear one)
    Jammies x 3-4
    Jammie pants x 2
    Real pants x 1
    Real shorts x 1
    Real shirts x 4
    Underware large x 8
    Underware regular x 6
    Breast pads
    BATTERIES FOR CAMERA!!!!!!!
    Vitamins
    Extra diabetes stuff
    Insulin x 3 kinds plus needles
    Tester
    Enough tester strips and needles
    Bottle of water

Baby Stuff:
    Going home outift for LO
    Onesies x 4
    Sleepers x 4
    Diapers x NB size x 10
    Diapers x size 1 x 10
    Wipes
    Carseat, etc
    Hats x 4 (per outfit)
    Blanket x 2
    Socks x 3
    Pacifier x 4
    Bottles x 4
    Nipples x 12
    Bottle liners x box
    Formula x 4 cans
    Change pad
    Baby / sibling shirts
    Hand sani
    Cloths
    Bibs
    Burp cloths

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageskye83:
    imageRusalkaSings:

I started packing mine at 35 weeks, and it's mostly packed now except for the things we're still using. I used this list some, though I didn't feel like I needed most of this stuff:

Oh! Two bags is a great idea! I know with DD I packed 1 huge bag (9 years ago so I really don't remember what was in it). I know I barely used anything in it and what I did use was a pain to get to.

I thought so, too! Our labor bag seems like it's going to be really manageable.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital provides a checklist.  Many of the items provided by US hospitals for mom and baby are not provided by the hospital here, but the trade off is that you don't get a bill for your stay or delivery either.  Here's a link to the list:

https://www.grhosp.on.ca/uploads/Childbirth/Your%20Hospital%20StayNov2011.pdf

For a routine vaginal birth with no complications you are released around 24 hrs post delivery.  For a c/s delivery, you stay 3 days on average. 

Last time around I packed too much stuff we didn't use.  This time around I will bring my own pillow, comfy clothes, robe, slippers, pjs, undies, nursing bras and nursing pads, feminine pads, nursing pillow, nb diapers, outfits for baby, toiletries for mom and baby, camera, ereader and ipod (to use while waiting to dilate or kill time between admitance and my c/s if we have to go that route).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • images0ulchicken:

So sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are NB pics?

• imageRegne:
    images0ulchicken:

Newborn pictures Big Smile Our hospital has a photographer come in and offer their services. If you choose to purchase the pictures they take, the photographer takes payment that day. I bought DS's pictures, but DD's were...not that great, so I did not purchase them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If you plan to bf, I highly recommend bringing the boppy. HUGELY helpful in learning. The staff at the hospital said we were so smart to bring it. DH got it out of the car after DD was born. Other than that the biggest thing for me was my own yoga pants and nursing tanks. I got out of that gown ASAP.
    BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

• imageRegne:
    images0ulchicken:

Newborn pictures. Most US hospitals are associated with a company that will come in and offer to take *Professional* pictures of your baby. My experience with DD was that they come in unannounced, don't allow you time to change baby into an outfit you want to see him/her in, and take pictures of baby laying flat on it's back in the provided bassinet. Family members will probably expect to see these but they are extremely pricey for what they are. I will probably just take pictures with my own camera (I have a very nice camera) at my own leisure and send those out to family. 

• imageskye83:
    imageRegne:
    images0ulchicken:

Newborn pictures. Most US hospitals are associated with a company that will come in and offer to take *Professional* pictures of your baby. My experience with DD was that they come in unannounced, don't allow you time to change baby into an outfit you want to see him/her in, and take pictures of baby laying flat on it's back in the provided bassinet. Family members will probably expect to see these but they are extremely pricey for what they are. I will probably just take pictures with my own camera (I have a very nice camera) at my own leisure and send those out to family. 

I'm not super impressed by the ones coming out of our hospital, either, and I rather like more candid photos, anyway. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't pack mine early enough with DD, that's for sure. I planned on packing it at 34 weeks since I had been having timetable BH ctx on and off since 27 weeks. Then I got admitted to the hospital for HELLP at 33w6d. So much for the packing plan. I had to make a list for DH at 5:30 am and have him go get my stuff and bring it to me. It was really disorganized. This time I'll be packing the stuff I don't need in the meantime by 30 weeks and have all the other stuff in one spot so I can just throw it into the bag and go if I have to go to L&D again.

I think you've gotten some good tips about what to pack, so I'll leave off my list. Suffice it to say, I will be packing much less this time now that I think I know what I need.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imageRusalkaSings:
    imageskye83:
    imageRegne:
    images0ulchicken:

I'm not super impressed by the ones coming out of our hospital, either, and I rather like more candid photos, anyway. 

Thanks for filling me in!! I didn't know hospitals offered that as a service!

• Here is my list:

Bag for Me:
    3 pairs of yoga/lounge pants
    3 nursing tank tops
    5 pairs of granny panties
    Zip up hoodie
    PJ pants & nursing friendly tank tops
    Socks
    Flip flops
    Slippers
    Boppy

Toiletries:
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Brush/hair ties
    Shampoo/conditioner
    Face/Body Wash
    Deodorant
    Make up
    Toilet paper

Laptop Bag:
    Laptop/charger
    Camera/charger
    Kindle/book
    iPhone/Kindle charger

Diaper Bag/Purse:
    Phone
    Wallet
    Take home outfits for LO (2)
    Socks
    Hat
    Blanket
    Cell phone
    Chapstick
    Nail file for baby fingernails
    Nipple cream and gel pads

Food/Drinks:
    Snacks
    Water

* PG #1 2/26/09: mm/c 4/14/09 at 10w4d | PG #2 8/5/09: mm/c 9/29/09 at 11w3d (boy) * 
    * CP's 4/14/10, 9/1/10, 4/19/11, 5/24/11, 10/14/13, 11/16/13 *
    * Ectopic 1/17/14 - nothing on u/s at 6w4d * 
    * PG #7 BFP 12/21/11 - DD born 8/31/12 * 
    * DH Dx'd with balanced translocation in 2011 *

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"