September 2012 Moms

Really dumb FTM Question..

What do contractions feel like? I know what BH feels like but they've never been painful. Today my abdomen has striking pains on the lower left hand side, not necessarily consistent, but on and off and my bump feels tight. Are these contractions or am I just being crazy? Is it possible to continue to get RLP this late in the game?

I'm being super paranoid because DH is on a business trip across the country right now.

Married: 11/2011
DS-9/2012
DD-7/2015
Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
EDD-4/2019

Re: Really dumb FTM Question..

• Have you been on your feet a lot?  Drinking enough water?  I get those pains, as well, but usually when I'm overdoing it and not well hydrated.  I can't tell you what they are, since I've never experienced contractions or labor, either.  Just wanted to say I wouldn't worry.  Every OB seems to say if they're real, you'll have trouble talking/breathing and you'll know.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Manx4Manx4 member

Real ones, ones that are making progress, usually (not always, there is always a "not me!" story out there) stop you in your tracks, you can't talk or focus on anything else but "OMG WTF IS THIS?"

They will be something you can time (from the start of one to the start of another) and will remain close or get closer.  They will increase in pain and won't go away if you drink water and/or lay down.  

If you can Facebook through it - more than likely, they're not real contractions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't really strayed from my routine. I figured that if they were contractions I'd start to realize it. I guess this is just the point where we become uncomfortable?!

Thanks for replying and helping me tame my cray.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Mine felt like period cramps, but very deep & concentrated, right below my actual belly (not on the sides). They increased in intensity & came & went in a time-able pattern. When they were really bad, I couldn't talk & it felt like my insides were being ripped apart.

People experience contractions in different ways, though, so I would suggest if they start getting worse & more frequent, then you should call your OB.

I've had some cramping lately but it hasn't panned out to anything.

But yes - it is possible to get RLP still. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageManx4:

Real ones, ones that are making progress, usually (not always, there is always a "not me!" story out there) stop you in your tracks, you can't talk or focus on anything else but "OMG WTF IS THIS?"

They will be something you can time (from the start of one to the start of another) and will remain close or get closer.  They will increase in pain and won't go away if you drink water and/or lay down.  

If you can Facebook through it - more than likely, they're not real contractions.

I am a FTM and over the past week - week and a half I have been getting spuratic contractions.  My dr told me they are "false labor" or the ones that basically are helping push him down (although I don't think he can get much further down).  But like above said it is a "OMG WTF IS THIS?" type of pain.  My first one pummled me to the ground and I was home alone. 

For me they are right across the bottom of my utuerus/pelvic area and hurt like menstral cramp but times infinity.  Mine also leave me breathless and reaching for something to squeeze (DH got the brunt of it a few times now). 

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With DS, my contractions felt like the most intense menstrual cramps ever, and they radiated across my lower abdomen to my back. There was no denying they were real. What you're describing sounds more like BH or RLP. Have you tried drinking extra water and lying down for a bit to see if they go away?

• You know that feeling when you have diarhea?  That's exactly what contractions felt like to me x 20.  I never felt period cramps while contracting, even on pitocin.  I think everyone feels them differently. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yesterday and today I have had sharp pains in the lower left abdomen. They ate really quick and not consistent but they are certainly not comfortable. :( 

• I'm so glad you posted this question.  I've been getting some mildly painful contractions as well.   Stronger than BH but not anything that is regular or unbearable.   To me, it feels like a cross between period cramps, sciatica and bubble guts.   But, again, not anything that has me saying, okay, I need to call...  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for this post. I have been having a lot of contractions the past two days. I ended up calling my midwife because they were coming about ten minutes apart for several hours. I didn't think I was/am in labor but wanted advice what to do. She told me to rest and drink more water. I am glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this, but it has made me realize how close we are. Hope our LO continue to bake!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a FTM too... but I had a scare a few weeks ago with spotting. Nothing came of it, all is well with the little one. But my Dr told me to call if I was having contractions every 10 min for an hour. That's what I'm paying attention for lately. Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"