August 2012 Moms

Frustrated/Worried

I went in for my 37 week appointment yesterday and my doctor ordered an ultrasound for presentation to see if my LO was still breech.  She's been breech the entire time.  Well it took the tech 2 seconds to say that LO is still breech and that she had decided if LO was breech she would do measurements, and that she would not have done the measurements otherwise.

The tech told me everything looked great and I went in to my doctors appointment right after.  My regular doctor was out of town and I had never seen this doctor before.  She checked me and said I was dilated to a 1 which I know doesn't mean anything, but then she tells me that I have to start coming in twice weekly for NST's because my baby is measuring 5 pounds and is in the 11th percentile.

She didn't explain what it meant or why I needed additional monitoring but I go in this afternoon for my first one.  Does anyone have a similar experience or know why I would need this?  I just feel like I have no information and I'm getting myself worked up over something that could be simple.  My regular doctor won't be back until next week for my 38 week appointment at which point they'll probably schedule a c-section.  Any info or experiences would help!

Thanks ladies! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Frustrated/Worried

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I have no advice on the particular issue, but why haven't you asked your doctor's office more questions?  I would call them (or, at your appointment this afternoon), I would grill them about the issues that could be causing the smaller size and why they are monitoring you further.  I think you need to be proactive.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • There is probably just a concern over her size and want to make sure there isn't a specific reason why she's small and won't flip, like IUGR. It's much better to be on the safe side. We got an NST last week just because I said he wasn't moving as much IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of IUGR but am looking it up now. Thank you!  I plan on asking for more information when I go in, the doctor I saw yesterday was in my room for about 2 minutes, my normal doctor stays longer.  She was just so quick with everything I didn't get a chance to wrap my head around what she was saying. 

My appointment is in 3 hours so hopefully I can update with more info then. Thank you for the suggestions! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tash13Tash13 member
    FWIW - My DS was born full term at 6 lbs 13 oz.  I bet if he had been measured in utero, he would have measured "small".  The ultrasounds can also be off up to 2 lbs in either direction so it's definitely not an exact science.  My DS has always been in the 10-15th percentile and is the healthiest kid I've ever seen.  Size doesn't always mean unhealthy and extra monitoring doesn't always mean worrisome.  Try and relax and just see how it goes . Also, look at spinningbabies.com to see if any of the tools to turn baby might work for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you! I've been doing spinningbabies for weeks with no luck but I'm still trying.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"